Author Topic: Pelosi: US House To Hold Hearings On Market Turmoil (Political Show Trial)  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
this is a show trial being held just a few weeks before the election designed to damage john mccain.  first of all, nothing
can be done by this congress because there simply isn't time, but she actually let her actual motivation slip when she said,
"we will investigate the Bush administration's mismanagement . . . ", and when she said that john mccain subscribes to
those "failed policies".

I noticed that none of the freddie mac officials will be called to the witch hunt.  anyone think that is because they gave
the BarackStar! a couple of hundred thousand bucks in just a few years? :whatever:

THIS is an abuse of power, plain and simple.  she's holding a show trial just before an election that has zero possibility of
accomplishing any discernible purpose, other than to damage the other party's candidate for president.

Pelosi: US House To Hold Hearings On Market Turmoil

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Thursday lawmakers will hold a series of hearings in September and October to investigate what went wrong with the oversight of financial markets, and what impact the bailout of American International Group Inc. (AIG) will have on U.S. taxpayers.

Pelosi said she asked House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank, D-Mass., and House Oversight Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., to hold hearings during a scheduled congressional recess that begins after next week.

House Budget Committee Chairman John Spratt, D-S.C., would also investigate the impact on the federal budget of the $85 billion emergency loan given AIG by the Federal Reserve.

"To aggressively address the financial crisis, we will investigate the Bush administration's mismanagement of financial regulation, how it led to this crisis and what solutions Congress can act upon," Pelosi said at a weekly press conference.

She said Congress would seek to determine what action lawmakers should take this year to overhaul regulation of the financial markets, rather than wait until next year and a new presidency.

More

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Pelosi: US House To Hold Hearings On Market Turmoil (Political Show Trial)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:16:54 AM »
She is such a worthless tool.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »

this is truly "The PMS Congress"

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »
here are The BarackStar!'s comments on the great depression from last week or so.  his strategy, or lack thereof,
has been to SCREAM DISASTER but take no position.  scared people will vote for change if they are convinced
that they have nothing to lose, of course.  this is the cheapest kind of mass manipulation.

``It's a little premature for us to move forward on that, and frankly something like that probably could not get through Congress until we have a new Congress and new president,'' he said.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:00:15 AM »
here are The BarackStar!'s comments on the great depression from last week or so.  his strategy, or lack thereof,
has been to SCREAM DISASTER but take no position.  scared people will vote for change if they are convinced
that they have nothing to lose, of course.  this is the cheapest kind of mass manipulation.

``It's a little premature for us to move forward on that, and frankly something like that probably could not get through Congress until we have a new Congress and new president,'' he said.

If that quote was from the Obamessiah, it's a lot more sound than I expected.  Pelosi has been gobbling her Ignorant Pills, there is no way Congress is going to get through the Appropriations Acts it has to in the time remaining, let alone a bunch of useless and time-consuming street theater like this. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »

If that quote was from the Obamessiah, it's a lot more sound than I expected.  Pelosi has been gobbling her Ignorant Pills, there is no way Congress is going to get through the Appropriations Acts it has to in the time remaining, let alone a bunch of useless and time-consuming street theater like this. 

it was political expediency, not sound judgment.  in fact, it was cowardly and manipulative.  he didn't want to take a position on the "great depression" if he didn't have to.  I am sure that it was his thinking (or david axelrod's thinking) that stoking the fears of the voters would suffice in getting them to vote for undefined "change".  taking a position would just expose his plan to criticism.  no plan, no critique.

cowardly.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
If his cowardly opportunism is congruent with a higher good, I'm okay with him being a cowardly opportunist...as long as he doesn't get elected President, where he would actually have the power to screw up important stuff with it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:05:36 AM »
If his cowardly opportunism is congruent with a higher good, I'm okay with him being a cowardly opportunist...as long as he doesn't get elected President, where he would actually have the power to screw up important stuff with it.

well, that really is the whole point of his cowardly opportunism.  he is doing the right thing for the wrong reason, and may produce a dangerous result.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »
She's blowing smoke for her base.

If she actually had the show trial the GOP would smack her upside the head with Obama's advisors being Fannie and Freddie CEO's, Barney the Fagosaur Frank's obstruction of reform as well as the fact Bush and McCain both tried reform in 2003 and 2005 respectively.

She ain't gonna bring it because it's already been brought.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »

and yet again, President Bush is letting them set the stage, and fill the jury with peers of their own choosing!

why cant he get in front of this thing and NOT read off a piece of paper?? He made an attempt to do so earlier this morning, but he needs to be hammering this around the clock with the press - people are pissed off and they want answers about why this is happening now, and yet another stupid investigation isnt going to tell us squat.

Bush has the bully pulpit he needs to freaking use it for a change  :banghead: :banghead:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »

If she actually had the show trial the GOP would smack her upside the head with Obama's advisors being Fannie and Freddie CEO's, Barney the Fagosaur Frank's obstruction of reform as well as the fact Bush and McCain both tried reform in 2003 and 2005 respectively.

Unless she can block all witnesses the Republicans want to call, then this should help Palin/McCain to win a landslide.  There are too many things pointing to the Dems as a major cause of the housing debacle.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 03:38:17 PM »
she'd  be worse off blocking those witnesses... people are more tired of the extreme partisanship displayed in Congress than they are worried about the economy.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »

you can get away with a lot of stuff when you are in the majority, if you want to badly enough.  they crammed that drilling bill down the house republicans' throats.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 12:16:44 PM »
#'s 1 and 2 on the list should be Raines and Gorelick. Otherwise it is just another Stalinist Show trial by liberal Dems.

The Rep. on this committee should refuse to paerticipate until the two "testify", and hold their OWN hearings elsewhere. You know, like the Dem's do.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »

and yet again, President Bush is letting them set the stage, and fill the jury with peers of their own choosing!

why cant he get in front of this thing and NOT read off a piece of paper?? He made an attempt to do so earlier this morning, but he needs to be hammering this around the clock with the press - people are pissed off and they want answers about why this is happening now, and yet another stupid investigation isnt going to tell us squat.

Bush has the bully pulpit he needs to freaking use it for a change  :banghead: :banghead:

El Presidente wants to go out quietly...Viva La Mexico..... :whatever:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 02:00:40 PM »
I'd say do it Skeletor. The first names getting money from all this are big name Dems like Barney Frank,Chris Dodd and Barry Obama.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"