Interests > Around the House & In the Garage

No heat? Thanksgiving Eve?

(1/4) > >>

thundley4:
My wife and I went shopping today to get some last minute things before the long weekend. We came home to a house that was cooler than it should have been. I check the furnace and the pilot light is out. No big deal, it's been kind of windy and it has happened before. I relight it, wait for the furnace to cycle, but it doesn't.

The gas shut off midway through the blower cycle.  I let everything cool down, relit the pilot light, but with the thermostat turned down so the furnace wouldn't run. After about 10 minutes or so the pilot light went out.   

I pulled the thermocouple out and tested it. The voltage output dropped off completely after about 10 minutes.  A quick trip to Lowe's to get a new solved the problem. At least It wasn't the gas valve this time.

Less than $10 and maybe an hours worth of time total sure beats the hell out of calling a repairman to do the work.

catsmtrods:
As an HVAC tech, thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

DLR Pyro:

--- Quote from: thundley4 on November 25, 2015, 06:54:15 PM ---My wife and I went shopping today to get some last minute things before the long weekend. We came home to a house that was cooler than it should have been. I check the furnace and the pilot light is out. No big deal, it's been kind of windy and it has happened before. I relight it, wait for the furnace to cycle, but it doesn't.

The gas shut off midway through the blower cycle.  I let everything cool down, relit the pilot light, but with the thermostat turned down so the furnace wouldn't run. After about 10 minutes or so the pilot light went out.   

I pulled the thermocouple out and tested it. The voltage output dropped off completely after about 10 minutes.  A quick trip to Lowe's to get a new solved the problem. At least It wasn't the gas valve this time.

Less than $10 and maybe an hours worth of time total sure beats the hell out of calling a repairman to do the work.

--- End quote ---
Let's contrast your success story with a DUmmy's version:

"My partner  :gay2: and I went to a BLM and a Bernie 2016 rally today since we don't have jobs and when we came back to our miserable studio apartment that was cooler than it should have been.  I have no man skills so I didn't have a clue what thingy-mahjig to check to see why it was so cold and my partner kept fiddling with the heater dial dohickey on the wall but it didn't get any warmer and he became frustrated and began to whimper and sob.  After cursing George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, the Koch Brothers and big oil for their part in climate change which has caused it to be so cold lately, my partner suggested we fire up the bong and put on our jammies and snuggle with a cup of hot chocolate.   

We have smoked our entire stash of medical weed and still have no heat.  Since neither of us work, I have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and my partner won't lower his standards to accept a job that pays less than $125k a year (I fully support him on this after he spent the better part of a decade getting his Masters  degree in Gay African women's ethnic studies... I'm so proud of him) we can not afford to pay for a heater repairman to come out and fix the problem. 

We are sitting here in the cold trying to be positive and upbeat this Thanksgiving day and reflecting on all we have to be thankful for such as having elected and re-elected the first black man as President, but we are puzzled why with Obama in office and all the wonderful things he has done why we are sitting in the cold on Thanksgiving and can only conclude that it is the institutional racism, homophobia and xenophobia in this nation caused by the right wingers who are to blame for our current state of misery."

franksolich:

--- Quote from: DLR Pyro on November 26, 2015, 10:54:24 AM ---Let's contrast your success story with a DUmmy's version:
--- End quote ---

Excellent, superb!

thundley4:

--- Quote from: catsmtrods on November 26, 2015, 07:55:42 AM ---As an HVAC tech, thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

--- End quote ---

My dad raised me right. I've never had to hire someone to do home repairs. I've had electrical training, and the gas work isn't that hard if you practice "safety first".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version