Author Topic: I love you, Market Basket!!!!  (Read 3073 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
I love you, Market Basket!!!!
« on: May 22, 2010, 08:48:07 AM »
Well, sometimes, anyway...

$4.99/pound "live and kickin" lobsters this weekend.  ANY SIZE.  Usually the "chick" lobsters (1 to 1 1/4 lbs.) go for $6.99/lb, and the bigger ones for $8-9/lb.

I'm gonna eat GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD...

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

Re: I love you, Market Basket!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:15:43 AM »
Do they ship?

Do you?  :-)

Runnin' Buddy and I shipped lobsters when we were in Maine last summer. We're thinking of having a big lobster fest this summer, as our kids are all wanting to participate. Told them we would cook and provide the place as long as they pay for the lobster....they said ok! :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 09:20:03 AM »
Do they ship?

Do you?  :-)

Runnin' Buddy and I shipped lobsters when we were in Maine last summer. We're thinking of having a big lobster fest this summer, as our kids are all wanting to participate. Told them we would cook and provide the place as long as they pay for the lobster....they said ok! :-)

Well, the mutt and I are making a road trip to see Scoobie and Red October next weekend.  I'm planning on bringing a few bugs down there.  Not too much hassle, really--get them in a cooler, put wet newspaper on top, then put ice on top of that.  They'll stay for 24 hours at least.

Throw some steak tips in with that, and those guys are gonna eat pretty good next weekend too.

But I don't know how long MB is selling those for.  If it's through next week, then I'm in REALLY good shape--cause the local seafood place was asking $7/lb, and if I'm buying 8-10 lbs of lobsters, it adds up.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:10:59 AM »
Well, the mutt and I are making a road trip to see Scoobie and Red October next weekend.  I'm planning on bringing a few bugs down there.  Not too much hassle, really--get them in a cooler, put wet newspaper on top, then put ice on top of that.  They'll stay for 24 hours at least.

Throw some steak tips in with that, and those guys are gonna eat pretty good next weekend too.

But I don't know how long MB is selling those for.  If it's through next week, then I'm in REALLY good shape--cause the local seafood place was asking $7/lb, and if I'm buying 8-10 lbs of lobsters, it adds up.

Yeah I know... we ordered 6  1.5 pounders last summer, then paid for overnight shipping. They were really good, and several people in the Bar Harbor area told us they were the best place to order from. They were about 20 minutes back towards Bangor alongside a "creek".

Couple of my son's buddies said that if I would do the cooking they would pay for our lobsters. I have a turkey fryer that I cooked them in last year, kept all the smell outside. FYI...turkey fryers are also great if you need a big batch of corn on the cob done. So far there's at least 15 of us who are going to do this. Maybe they will give me a deal for ordering so many... :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:12:23 AM »
some places you can get culls (1 claw missing) very cheap. they taste just as good.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »
Well, sometimes, anyway...

$4.99/pound "live and kickin" lobsters this weekend.  ANY SIZE.  Usually the "chick" lobsters (1 to 1 1/4 lbs.) go for $6.99/lb, and the bigger ones for $8-9/lb.

I'm gonna eat GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD...

:bird:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »
:bird:

Kinda bummed.  Got there yesterday afternoon and all the bigger ones were long gone.  Got one that was about 1 1/2 lbs.  Made a little lobster casserole to go along with the steak, and the rest I'm making into lobster roll for lunch.

Offline debk

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »
Kinda bummed.  Got there yesterday afternoon and all the bigger ones were long gone.  Got one that was about 1 1/2 lbs.  Made a little lobster casserole to go along with the steak, and the rest I'm making into lobster roll for lunch.

Poor, poor Sparky... :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

:hammer:

seriously, hope they were good!  :drool:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
I want a Lobster Roll!!!!!!    :bawl:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »

Curious Sparky, how do You make a Lobster Casserole.?

Been a few years but off the top of my head ---I make a flour,butter, and light cream sauce,

Add one egg when that cools, some drinking Sherry, lemon zest and juice.

Pour into a deep dish add a dollop of butter to the top and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

The old timers who make this tell me they just cook the lobster in milk and add lemon and butter at the end.

BTW, MB will cook the lobster for free, the meat can be removed and kept on dry ice for a 24-36 hours trip.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
Curious Sparky, how do You make a Lobster Casserole.?

Been a few years but off the top of my head ---I make a flour,butter, and light cream sauce,

Add one egg when that cools, some drinking Sherry, lemon zest and juice.

Pour into a deep dish add a dollop of butter to the top and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

The old timers who make this tell me they just cook the lobster in milk and add lemon and butter at the end.

BTW, MB will cook the lobster for free, the meat can be removed and kept on dry ice for a 24-36 hours trip.

Just back from MB adventure, they were busy as all get out.  Plenty of folk hanging around getting lobsters. 

Bottles are great to cook for lobster rolls ( no claws at all ).  About the cheapest live lobster you can get, when you can get them.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »
You can do the "casserole" with the cream sauce, but I prefer to just take a small casserole dish, coat it with butter, throw in the lobster, then toss in a mix of soft butter, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese, maybe another pat or two of butter on top, then broil that for a couple of minutes.

Tastes just like the stuff you get from Newick's down on Dover Point.

Failing that, any good Newburg sauce will do.