Author Topic: I'm cold tonight.  (Read 694 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
I'm cold tonight.
« on: February 17, 2021, 12:11:31 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215115392

herding cats
I'm cold tonight.

I know it's a mess down here in Texas and we definitely deserve scorn, but I'm cold tonight.

I'm a block of ice in a frigid, dark all electric home. No rolling blackouts here. I'm part of a power outage of some sort with no expedient end in sight. No power since last night for us. ( I know I'm fortunate, others have been out since Thursday!) Also, no fireplace... so, I'm wearing my entire closet and buried under every blanket I own (yes, even my dear departed dog, Shadow's blanket, she'd approve.) This excludes those blankets currently hanging over doors and windows. I'm wearing a stocking hat and gloves in my home. It was 40 in my house, I saw my breath and my fingers were purple. It was that time again. I lit my chiminea on my patio, put some granite stones in it to heat up, and then carefully moved them with bbq tongs to an outdoor metal fire pit I set up in my living room on cinder blocks. That was just over 40 minutes ago. It's up to just under 50 degrees in my living room now. My fingers are no longer purple.

This is just me tonight. This is how I'm getting by. I feel I'm doing pretty good considering it's 8 degrees outside right now. My home, my plumbing and my entire infrastructure wasn't made to endure any of this. But, I'm extremely fortunate and going to be ok. A lot of others aren't so fortunate and this event will have a far more dire story to tell of their consequences of this historic cold. I was just sitting here trying to be warm in this deafening silence when this hit me in my gut. I'm so fortunate, even in my moment of misfortune.

Be warm and be well.

Ok, would someone like to tell this DUmmie why we’re having issues?  Beyond the fact this is historic cold, the windmills the DUmmies are so fond of ... froze. Yup, froze.

Interesting thread.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: I'm cold tonight.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 12:36:27 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215115392

Ok, would someone like to tell this DUmmie why we’re having issues?  Beyond the fact this is historic cold, the windmills the DUmmies are so fond of ... froze. Yup, froze.

Interesting thread.

KC

It's Trump's fault doncha know?

His mere existence incited mother nature to put Texas in a deep freeze.

Impeach!  Impeach! Impeach!!!!
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline 3rd-try

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 01:02:04 AM »
Call it educational and just enjoy it dude. I'm sure you'll enjoy Texas in august as well.  It's a taste of the energy/financial policies you just voted for.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 09:20:34 AM »
Maybe Texas should have known better from, e.g., CA's experience not to rely on bird choppers for baseload power. A significant % of Texas' bird choppers are too frozen to chop birds (and generate power).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 11:21:12 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Workover

• Retired and loving it
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 09:53:57 AM »
ERCOT (the responsible party) is on the coals right now and most if not all will soon be out of a job. Meanwhile down here in balmy SE Texas, our and some neighboring developments have been without water for most of three days. I’m sure some are wishing they had got out their hurricane preparedness notes so they would have has water to flush with.

Re: windmills: they are still turning in much colder states so what we have is a failure to prepare - again.
If you’re not having fun it’s your own damn fault!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 10:04:51 AM »
Re: windmills: they are still turning in much colder states so what we have is a failure to prepare - again.

From what I've read, the bird-chopper operators failed to winterize their bird choppers. Maybe they believed their Global Warming shtick. And winterizing might have been as "simple" as using the proper lubricants.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 10:47:05 AM »
ERCOT (the responsible party) is on the coals right now and most if not all will soon be out of a job. Meanwhile down here in balmy SE Texas, our and some neighboring developments have been without water for most of three days. I’m sure some are wishing they had got out their hurricane preparedness notes so they would have has water to flush with.

I’m in SETEX as well. Water is still flowing, but we’ve enjoyed rolling blackouts for the last 3 days, and with today’s predicted ice storm, we could lose power altogether.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 11:16:33 AM »
Glowballs warming/climatic change is a real bitch.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 07:32:02 PM »
From what I've read, the bird-chopper operators failed to winterize their bird choppers. Maybe they believed their Global Warming shtick. And winterizing might have been as "simple" as using the proper lubricants.

Yep.  We got windmills here in WV, not many but some, and they don't freeze.  And I can see the moisture plume from the cooling towers of the coal electric generating plant from my front porch that is two mountains over. If the wind is right I get heavy frost on the car and yard.   We have had 20 below temps, extended cold snaps of temps in the high single digits and lows at or below zero for 2-3 weeks straight and frozen roads... but that plant has never has shut down.

We are a winter peak electric demand state and our shit works.  So why doesn't Texas shit work?

Seems like this has occurred several times before. 

This is not a conservative or liberal issue... it is an engineering issue that management has decided is not cost effective.

I have zero sympathy.  Let them freeze.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 07:38:49 PM »

I hear bird blood is a great lubricant.  Maybe they shood too many away?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 07:43:25 PM »
I hear bird blood is a great lubricant.  Maybe they shood too many away?

More likely Texas birds are smarter than California birds. Kind of like: