Author Topic: with what the iraq war has cost so far, how many diseases could we have cured...  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2980289

Gato Moteado  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Mar-09-08 07:47 PM
Original message
with what the iraq war has cost so far, how many diseases could we have cured....

...by now? could we have found a cure for cancer or AIDS or diabetes if the war money had been thrown to stem cell research instead?

with that money, could we have perfected some alternative energy technologies so we wouldn't be stuck on oil?

what do you folks think?

Refresh | 0 Recommendations    Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
How many more lives (both Iraqi and abroad due to his support of terrorists) would be lost if Saddam was left in power?
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
How many lives would have been saved if we had not subsidized illicit sex and drug usage via the misguided war on poverty?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Gato Moteado  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Mar-09-08 07:47 PM
Original message
with what the iraq war has cost so far, how many diseases could we have cured....

None.

How many trillions have we spent on Cancer and AIDS and we're no more closer to a cure than we were 20 years ago?

Oh and if the DUmmies get their way and we're force fed Socialized Medicine...we'll NEVER see a cure for either one come from a U.S. lab.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
blues90  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Mar-09-08 07:58 PM
Response to Original message
1.  I sort of wonder and this is not to deminish the topic

I wonder even though I know well that this insane illegal occupation as well as many other issues are sucking this country dry if we would be addressing aids or re-newable fuels or repairing the infrustructure at this point in time .

It's difficult to tell when Clinton was taken to task almost his entire 8 years in office and we were beginning to climb out of the disaster bush sr brought not to leave out Reagan .

But if Kerry had won even though he was not my first choice , it was a vote to defeat bush for me , perhaps Edwards may have got something done .

Bush has screwed things up so badly and beyond belief that peoples heads are spinning .
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
It takes someone very stupid to think Clinton did anything beneficial to this country.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
The war on AIDS, a 99.99% lifestyle affliction, has cost billions, event though it has affected less than .3% of the populace:

An estimated one million people are currently living with HIV in the United States, with approximately 40,000 new infections occurring each year.

And all but a tiny, tiny of those new infections could be prevented by merely containing sex to a committed married opposite sex partner. 

Cancer, OTOH, has affected 14% of the population, but gets much, much less investment.  Oh. except for breast cancer, which gets marathons and runs and stuff. 

I am still waiting for prostate cancer runs, but more importantly, we have allowed Political Correctness to allow .03% of a percentage of the populace, who ask for it, to suck dollars away from those who really need it.

Don't ask society to subsidize your bungee cords lifestyle, ass-****ers!

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Apparently the military lacks sufficient funds to cure liberalism.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Airwolf

Gato Moteado  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Mar-09-08 07:47 PM
Original message

None.

How many trillions have we spent on Cancer and AIDS and we're no more closer to a cure than we were 20 years ago?

Oh and if the DUmmies get their way and we're force fed Socialized Medicine...we'll NEVER see a cure for either one come from a U.S. lab.

You should add the reasons why we would never see cures ever come out if Hillzilla care comes to be. There would be no reason to risk R&D funds to make such a cure and even if there were any to be spent the incentive to put it on the market and hope John Edwards or one of his buds didn't file a lawsuit over something they claimed caused the death of one patient would be enough to sink the company that created the cure.

What the Dumpholes don't seem to understand is that no one starts a business to make medicines just for shits and giggles. It takes huge amounts of cash to do the R&D and then It has to be approved by the FDA and then it has to work like advertised or the lawsuits start to fly. Poor people don't run Pharmaceutical companies and no one gets medicated for free .
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline LadyLiberty

Oh, another Libtard being deceitful about caring about human life  :whatever:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama