Author Topic: This Blog is MONSTEROUSLY embarrassing  (Read 1256 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
This Blog is MONSTEROUSLY embarrassing
« on: March 07, 2008, 03:55:19 PM »
LulaMay (940 posts)     Fri Mar-07-08 03:44 PM
Original message
**********This Blog is MONSTEROUSLY embarrassing************
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=132&topic_id=4953279&mesg_id=4953279

Advertisements [?]I have written many posts on this board about how this election has exposed the ugly underbelly of sexism that has long existed in 'liberal' politics, the Democratic Party, and 'liberal' media.

Like many others here, I have called out and responded to as much of the hateful, sexist bigotry thrown at Hillary Clinton as I can.

There is far too much of it to make that effort humanly possible, an embarrassing situation of huge proportion.

There are also those who are trying to address it, even if their candidate is not Senator Clinton, and I thank them.

However, whenever someone here calls the sexism out, the torrent of hostile, repetitive attacks can be expected in the first few replies with boring predictability.

On this site alone, I have seen Senator Clinton called shrill, bossy, ugly, fat, dowdy, frumpy, just 'a wife', "THAT woman", the Devil, Satan, a bitch, a witch, a MONSTER who is "destroying" the party and "stealing" the nomination from a man, a good man, who is painted as a saint and Saviour of the Democratic party, something no man can possibly live up to. He has been harmed by default, as seen with the resignation of his adviser.

I have read comments here where people boast about 'being sexist' as they spew even more hatred at Hillary Clinton, as if it's amusing. I've read posts that complain it's wrong to vote for a woman SIMPLY because she's a woman (as if that is the only reason why a staggering number of women, and men, have turned out to vote for her, and as if anyone would deny that African Americans want to see a black man become president, and fairly so.). I've read posts that claim women are not so oppressed anymore, especially 'rich, white women', and don't "need" this nomination.

I have read many comments so sexist they had to be deleted, threads so vile they had to be locked down by system administrators.

Yesterday, I read that some people here have indeed complained to administrators before about the slur 'bitch' being allowed on the board, and that the concern was dismissed. If that is indeed the case, I call on these administrators to take the first outward step and prohibit it now.

I expect that some people will again be angry at my post. To them I ask one thing, please read everything I have written and give it a fair consideration with as much objectivity you can.

I write on this blog and called out the sexism because it matters so much. It matters as much as every kind of bigotry we fight, but it holds a sad, secret place in our world, a 'special' place, because we, women, are the only people on this planet who live with and love members of the group that oppresses us. We individually live with good men, men who are addressing it, and men who aren't, men who are abusive or violent, men far too many women can't escape and won't survive. Women this world over are beaten, raped and killed not only by strangers, but by their loved ones. Women and girls are kidnapped, beaten, drugged, held like indentured servants in sexual slavery, and people say it's just sex, can't be helped, or ever changed. This is what makes our course for freedom so incredibly difficult, seemingly impossible at times, because it all can seem and feel so god-damned natural to people, the order of things, inescapable.

It is not.

I write on this blog because the heart and soul, the brain trust, of the party and liberal politics means very much to me, because of all we've accomplished. We have been the champions of human rights, civil rights. Without the strength of our movement and party, our fight to bring equality and peace to this world will suffer. If the cancer of sexism that has been allowed to live and eat away from the inside of our movement is not taken out into the light of day, faced and dealt with, it will cost us not only this election, but much for time to come. This is not about Hillary Clinton, it never has been. It is about how she has been treated, how women have been teated. It is about how this long tolerated and denied bigotry in our political circle has been exposed to the nation, the world, how the the utter shame and embarrassment of it threatens to discredit the good we've done and our credibility to continue identifying ourselves as the champions of humanity. It is about how we are called upon now to stand up to it and declare with humility and strength that it will NO LONGER be acceptable or tolerated.

Conservatives are watching. They would be more than happy to take on the mantle of compassion if we let it all go. Our moment of truth has come, it is now, it is happening before our eyes, in just days and weeks to come. It can be our shining achievement in history, or our unbearable failure. We will feel it if that happens. The anger and vitriol will immediately disappear and we will ask ourselves 'What have we done?!" We must confront it. We must conquer it. We must be universal. Everyone must make the commitment, speak to it, and dis-invite from our cause those who will not or cannot change their ways.

Truth to Power.

Power to the people.

Peace for the World.

what a fuqing whiny bitch.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: This Blog is MONSTEROUSLY embarrassing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
I didn't wanna read that whole thing but I wondered if anyone at DU had called Hillary a giant douche bag yet?
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:18:56 PM »
I didn't wanna read that whole thing but I wondered if anyone at DU had called Hillary a giant douche bag yet?

Ohhh... they will.

And I will have chips and salsa at the ready when they do.

*TKay*

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
On this site alone, I have seen Senator Clinton called shrill, bossy, ugly, fat, dowdy, frumpy, just 'a wife', "THAT woman", the Devil, Satan, a bitch, a witch, a MONSTER who is "destroying" the party

So what part of that is incorrect?
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »

For you guys out there for fantasy fodder.  You can thank me later. :-)
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:12:25 PM »
Truth to Power.

Power to the people.

Peace for the World.

24 to business hours!!1111!!!!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.