Author Topic: Ms. Ed not willing to sacrifice for health care  (Read 1124 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Ms. Ed not willing to sacrifice for health care
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:59:58 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5906504

Oh my.

Ms. Ed, the unappellated eohippus, the High Priestess of Moloch to the primitives, from northern Texas, ostensibly a registered nurse making $24,000 per year:

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 02:41 PM
Original message

What are YOU willing to sacrifice for healthcare?

I'm talking run-of-the-mill employer-issued healthcare?

Would you be willing to surrender ALL of your past medical records and history?

Would you be willing to submit to "miscellaneous" blood testing that you don't get the results of--or even know what blood tests they are running?

Would you be willing to submit logs to your employer each month to show you are attempting to lose weight, lower your cholesterol, quit smoking, etc to keep your insurance intact?

Apparently, according to a rumor at work, signing up for health insurance plan next year will include joining a mandatory "wellness program".

I can't even begin to say how much this pisses me off.

When Ms. Ed is pissed off, it's a good day for the world, including for those about ready to come into the world.

mainer  (1000+ posts)     Tue Jun-23-09 02:43 PM
Response to Original message

1. What's wrong with a "wellness" program?

It's meant to save THEM money by keeping you healthy. It's what any rational healthcare system should do.

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 02:46 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. You again. Ra Ra'ing Kaiser, changing medication, etc

Not surprised you would side with the employer.

Now, see, there is this thing called PRIVACY.

What if your employer finds out you have a gene for a certain disease--and then fires you before you can cost them money. What about HIV? Not AIDS, but HIV.

That A-okay? with you?

One senses Ms. Ed knows the Maine primitive, and doesn't like the Maine primitive.

mainer  (1000+ posts)     Tue Jun-23-09 02:49 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. Patient confidentiality forbids release of HIV status

Most "wellness" programs focus on smoking, weight, and drug use. I highly doubt it will demand release of HIV status -- and if it does, it's illegal. I think you need to find out what that wellness program is all about before blowing your top.

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 02:51 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. I know all about it

They want ALL of your history--and if you omit anything, your coverage will be canceled and they can assess fines for any care they did previously. I KNOW what I am talking about.

The snobbish primitive, Dorothy, another registered nurse, but one who probably makes more than $24,000 a year:

uppityperson  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 03:16 PM
Response to Reply #5

24. Seems this is violating HIPPA.

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 03:38 PM
Response to Reply #24

28. Not if you do it "voluntarily"

Which the quid pro quo is that I give them my info and they give me my insurance.

uppityperson  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 03:43 PM
Response to Reply #28

31. Requiring you to do this is not "voluntary", I agree.

Is this a requirement for insurance or employment?

Sounds rather like that Montana thing where they "requested" all passwords for all employees everything online.

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 03:47 PM
Response to Reply #31

32. Just for insurance

But the terms make it to where we "choose" whether we want insurance by complying with the terms.

uppityperson  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 02:52 PM
Response to Reply #2

7. What does the "wellness program" consist of? They can be very good or very intrusive

Until more info is given, some will assume one and some will assume the other.

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 02:58 PM
Response to Reply #7

13. VERY intrusive.

They want ALL of your medical records submitted--they gave us releases to be sent to each and every physician.

They have some company come in and draw all of our blood (we're a hospital--why can't WE do that? Wouldn't it be cheaper? When we use our insurance, we are told we have to have our labs drawn at the hospital because of cost.). The consent actually says that they are checking cbc, cmp, triglycerides, cholesterol and ANY OTHER test they deem necessary to determine wellness.

Each month, a log must be submitted on your exercise and diet...if you do not do this, your premiums will go up the first time and the second time, the third time you lose your coverage.

If you fail to submit records or fail to disclose your medical history, your coverage will be canceled and you will be required to pay anything they have paid.

uppityperson  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 03:09 PM
Response to Reply #13

19. Good lord. I don't see how that can be legal

I am in WA, and it is an employer state, meaning they can require us to attend stupid mandatory meetings and terminate us if we don't. Night staff is up in arms because the meetings are always mid-day, which is middle of their sleeping time. I recommended they file a thing with the company talking about the businesses liability, if they cannot sleep they will not be able to provide adequate patient care.

I am not sure what state you are in, but I would start looking for someone who could help with this (State Insurance Commissioner? Labor board? Some Hospital Regulatory Board? Certification?). Would HIPPA being fed policy help at all? Seems that an employer could not override HIPPA.

Thinking off the top of my head here.

I don't see how an employer could override HIPPA.

DefenseLawyer  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 02:55 PM
Response to Original message

9. That's part of the Limbaugh fear mongering of health care reform

Black helicopters flying swat teams into suburbia to force you to eat your peas.

Zzzzzzzzz Quite lame.

Yeah, that nailed Ms. Ed, who does things like that.

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 02:59 PM
Response to Reply #9

15. No idea what you are talking about. Obviously you are a fan of Rush's

this has nothing to do with health care reform. It has to do with what the corporate hospital that I work for is trying to do to us next year.

A corporate hospital that pays Ms. Ed, a registered nurse, $24,000 a year, remember.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Ms. Ed not willing to sacrifice for health care
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »
Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-23-09 02:46 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. You again. Ra Ra'ing Kaiser, changing medication, etc

Not surprised you would side with the employer.

Hmm, ok. Get your own f'n health insurance.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »
They don`t even begin to grasp what government controlled health care is going to be like.

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
I think she's full of crap.  When it comes to health insurance, most hospitals have awesome policies!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:44:56 PM »
They don`t even begin to grasp what government controlled health care is going to be like.

Nope, they don't.  It might start out with all sorts of bells and whistles, but the primitives have yet to grasp that eventully HIPPA will be adios along with any sort of privacy between doctor and patient, care will be rationed to the extreme, and you won't get to choose your doctor or anything.  Any primitive who doesn't realize this will be the ultimate result of single payer/universal is either naive, stupid, or both.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:55:50 PM »
If the government can order me to quit drinking or adjust my insurance due to Body Mass Index then I sure as hell think they should control dirt pokers.  Putting you dinky where it should not go is a VERY, very dangerous activity.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:00:10 PM »
If the government can order me to quit drinking or adjust my insurance due to Body Mass Index then I sure as hell think they should control dirt pokers.  Putting you dinky where it should not go is a VERY, very dangerous activity.

Why you you you... racist homophobe cristofascist!!!!!!!!  How dare you point out that butt sex is dangerous and unhealthy!!!!!!!!!1
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:05:29 PM »
I think she's full of crap.  When it comes to health insurance, most hospitals have awesome policies!

Not always.  Mine was terrible in comparison with the former Mrs. Wiggum's company plan.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »
mainer  (1000+ posts)     Tue Jun-23-09 02:49 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. Patient confidentiality forbids release of HIV status

Not really. If one is a health care provider then the place that one works has the right to know and will test for it.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 04:18:42 PM »

Agreed!

Here are some statistics:

Registered Nurse Salaries

Staff RNs working in the United States average a median base salary of $41,642.  Half of all US RN's are expected to earn between $38,792 and $44,869.  Nearly 67% of nurses are employed in hospital inpatient and outpatient settings.  32% of all nurses are employed in medical offices and clinics, home healthcare agencies, nursing homes, temporary help agencies, academia, and government agencies.

Nurse
 3+ Years
 Starting Base

RN
 $47,110
 $39,000

Staff RN
 $44,200
 $37,000

Master Level
 $59,600
 $49,700

Average Annual Income By Hospital Setting

Setting
 Income

National Average
 $45,500

Acute Care
 $45,000

Ambulatory Care Center/HMO
 $44,000

Case Management
 $48,000

Community/ Home Health
 $44,600

Health Insurance Co/School
 $42,000

Dietician
 $37,000

LPN
 $33,500

Nurse Manager
 $65,000

Extended Care/ Psych
 $38,500

Physical Therapist
 $55,000

Physician's Office
 $36,500

Speech Pathology
 $44,000

Operating Room
 $45,000

From here:  http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary-surveys/nursing/
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 04:26:10 AM »
I'd like to invite all those DUmmies who ask for single payer healthcare to come where they can get it:  The US Military...

True, you'd have to sacrifice things like: sleeping in, excessive Cheeto intake, the ability to go to a doctor everyday (at least before being brought up on charges or kicked out), recreational drug use, and decisions about where the food in the chow hall comes from.

You'd also get benefits such as: mandatory participation in a wellness program called Physical Training (including special attention for those who are overweight), regular immunizations/blood tests/physicals, pay (including room/board/clothing), 30 paid days off a year, dental, job training (I know I just killed it for the one left reading), self-confidence.

That being said, I haven't paid a medical bill in 10 years, including 3 surgeries (including one on the hand, laser eye surgery), and I don't plan to pay much for medical care after I retire either.  Ok, so my commander can find out my health status anytime, but what's a little privacy?

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 07:40:26 AM »

Clueless doesn't begin to describe it.  They want free health care for all, but want it first rate, immediate, provider of their choice.  They complain about government controlled policies, but they want the government in control of their bodies.