Author Topic: Free Healthcare Would be a Major Economic Stimulus.  (Read 1172 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Free Healthcare Would be a Major Economic Stimulus.
« on: January 16, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
We can stimulate the economy by forcing all those greedy richers into giving all their money to the government to spend. Great Plan Genius.

Donnachaidh  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jan-14-09 03:53 PM
Original message
First-of-Its Kind Study: Medicare for All (Single-Payer) Reform Would Be Major Stimulus for Economy

Link

First-of-Its Kind Study: Medicare for All (Single-Payer) Reform Would Be Major Stimulus for Economy with 2.6 Million New Jobs, $317 Billion in Business Revenue, $100 Billion in Wages

Establishing a national single-payer style healthcare reform system would provide a major stimulus for the U.S. economy by creating 2.6 million new jobs, and infusing $317 billion in new business and public revenues, with another $100 billion in wages into the U.S. economy, according to the findings of a groundbreaking study released today. It may be viewed at www.CalNurses.org .

The number of jobs created by a single-payer system, expanding and upgrading Medicare to cover everyone, parallels almost exactly the total job loss in 2008.

MORE at the link above --

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4828415

I could produce a study that says purple goat people rule mars... That don't make it true.

aquart  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jan-14-09 03:59 PM
Response to Original message
2. Innovative start ups would be able to hire real talent.

Small companies with new ideas would be competitive with lumbering old ones.

It would revitalize American business.

And many people unable to work AND have healthcare would be able to return to the job market.

How the heck does that work ?

drm604  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Wed Jan-14-09 04:14 PM
Response to Reply #7
9. I wish that I could believe that it will actually have some impact.

Obama wants to include the insurance companies. :(

Donnachaidh Donating Member Wed Jan-14-09 04:37 PM
Response to Reply #9
12. yeah -- I know

someone should fax this to him. In fact, let's ALL fax this to him on the 20th. Anyone have the fax for the WH?

I wonder if these dummies realize that 1000 paper faxes, sent to the circular file will be far worse than 1000 email's sent to the deleted items box. Won't someone please think of the environment.

Blue Meany  (282 posts)  Thu Jan-15-09 12:01 PM
Response to Reply #40
75. And they have been a massive drain on the productive

sectors of society. No sector should be allowed to threaten the entire economy with its profiteering, but especially not the ones that don't produce anything or provide any services.

That's rich coming from a bunch of layabouts that want everything delivered to them without having to "produce anything or provide any services"  :whatever:

Cleita  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jan-14-09 04:22 PM
11. Time to have a giant mail in of this to Daschle and Prez. Obama when they take office.

Thanks for posting this. It's something we figured out with our home calculators, but how much better to have a real study on it.

Another idiot that doesn't realize the only way this "study" is going to be reviewed is by bacteria at the rubbish dump.

Yo_Mama  (3 posts) Wed Jan-14-09 07:46 PM
19. The study is bogus

Sorry, but I started reading the "full study", and when I got to the part (page 5) that purported to begin the economic analysis, it stated that direct and indirect heath care revenue totaled nearly 6 trillion. This is utterly ridiculous - in Q3 2008 current dollar annualized GDP was about 14.4 trillion. This study claims that healthcare generates over 40% of the entire economy. This is not so, and if it were, we'd be in big trouble.

If the conclusions about percent of GDP are bogus, the claim on jobs is completely bogus, but I am not bothering to read any further to find out how they got there. When you are making up numbers this way, you can do anything. If anyone is interested, you can get GDP figures at www.bea.gov . Total PCE was about 10.16 trillion. Of that, about 1.79 trillion was spent on health care. There are additional expenditures on medicine hidden in the nondurables sections, but it is obvious that the US allocates no more than 20% of personal consumption expenditures to medical care. PCE is about 70% of GDP. There is no way that anyone can make a case that indirect spending on medicine accounts for more than 20% of the economy, and in fact, it accounts for less.

I don't know why people even bother to do this sort of thing. Using the same methodology, I could prove that dogs account for 25% of GDP, or that UFOs are the only thing keeping our economy growing (which it is not).

Yes, I am an economist.

FYI, the case for single-payer efficiencies are largely that it would reduce jobs. I have never heard of CalNurses before, but as a result of this exercise in duplicity I have formed a very negative opinion of the organization.

You appear to be new to the DU so you don't realize what you've just done.

What would you like your tombstone to read ?

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: Free Healthcare Would be a Major Economic Stimulus.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »
Poor Yo_Mama s/he was doing so well and messed it up on the third post.  :rotf:

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
Intelligence and rational thinking are not allowed at the DUmp so this one won`t last long.

It is a good illustration as to how lazy the primitives are but I suppose when you are trying to figure out the next way to post what a critical thinker you are it cuts into time for other things.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:33:04 PM »
Career Prole  (1000+ posts)          Wed Jan-14-09 08:10 PM
Response to Reply #19
21. Yo Mama!
   "Yes, I am an economist."
Sorry, but I have of late lost all faith in economists. You should have said you were a leprechaun. It would have given your words more weight...and please, please...don't point me to government economic figures. Those numbers have been fudged by bush appointees for so long now the damned well is poisoned.

But hey...welcome to DU!

specimenfred1984 (1000+ posts)        Thu Jan-15-09 03:05 PM
Response to Reply #24
91. No "personal position" huh? I guess you're a robot then
   "Good German" might be a better term. Sniff sniff, what's that smell? I smell a pig frying, a roasted repuke porker!

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
I'm going to go out and break every window I see...ya know cuz that would be a great economic stimulus.

What a bunch of DUmbasses!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:16:25 PM »
Quote from:
Yo_Mama

FYI, the case for single-payer efficiencies are largely that it would reduce jobs.

Yep, that jumped off the page of the DUmmies OP.  The whole premise behind liberals wanting single-payer/universal healthcare (besides it being "free" and everyone is covered) is that it would reduce the number of hands involved by virtually half (they claim).  Now to turn around and say that not only would it be "free" and everyone is covered, but that it would employ more people than are currently in the field (thus increasing payroll expenses) doesn't add up at all.

Oh, they'll make some stupid argument that the cost savings of having single-payer/universal healthcare will more than off-set all the new hires, but that's a pipedream.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:24:52 PM »
Yo_Mama  (3 posts) Wed Jan-14-09 07:46 PM
19. The study is bogus

Sorry, but I started reading the "full study", and when I got to the part (page 5)

This statement proves that Yo Mama is not a dummie.  Dummies can't read and even if they could, they don't have the attention span to get past page 1 of anything, nor the smarts to analyze any sort of data unless it's how much of their monthly government check they will have to spend for their pot.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 04:53:41 AM »
I just went to DUmmie land and read the entire thread. There's enough stupid there to power a small city. I really liked urinespecimen's display of DUmmietude:
Sniff sniff, what's that smell? I smell a pig frying, a roasted repuke porker!

I can picture the following conversation taking place....
urinespecimen: The sky is green!
Normal Person: No. The sky is blue. The grass is green.
urinespecimen: THE SKY IS GREEN!!!
Normal Person: (while showing a colorwheel with the colors labeled AND producing encyclopedia articles explaining why the sky is blue and grass is green) I'm sorry, but you're mistaken.
urinespecimen: Sniff sniff, what's that smell? I smell a pig frying, a roasted repuke porker!
Normal Person: (while looking at the primitive with amazement) Uh, you need to see a mental health care professional.
urinespecimen: Da Winnah!!111!!!!

Then the next day the following post would appear at the DUmp...
urinespecimen: So I was at the gas station yesterday when I had to put a fundie repuke in his place. The idiot was claiming that the sky was blue and that grass was green. I calmly explained to him that Chimpy McCokespoonToastedLegs WANTED him to believe that to take attention away from the red being spilled for oil. He tried to stammer a response, but I cut him off at every turn with well thought out, calmly expressed facts. He had absolutely no way to counter my brilliance. By the time I was done with him he was whimpering a bit, but I could tell that I'd help to uncloud his eyes. As I got in my car the others at the gas station were giving my thumbs up and cheers.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:58 AM »
I think CalNurses.org is the California Nurse's Union.  Surprise!
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
I saw the add for this when I was working out this morning.  Kah Ray Zay

I am shaking my head and thinking all those kool aid drinkers are seriously going to believe this...we are screwed.
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 02:14:35 AM »
Poor Yo_Mama s/he was doing so well and messed it up on the third post.  :rotf:

The only cost savings that would be seen are by rationing care, cutting out the very old for instance by giving them a pill to kill them (see the film 'Expelled') and by NOT allowing new expensive treatments even if they are better by forcing doctors to go the cheapest route. There will be fewer doctors not more, the only new jobs will be government bureaucrats and grave diggers.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 06:13:40 AM »
And many people unable to work AND have healthcare would be able to return to the job market.

This comment is very disturbing on so many different levels.   

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 07:04:12 AM »
The only cost savings that would be seen are by rationing care, cutting out the very old for instance by giving them a pill to kill them (see the film 'Expelled') and by NOT allowing new expensive treatments even if they are better by forcing doctors to go the cheapest route. There will be fewer doctors not more, the only new jobs will be government bureaucrats and grave diggers.

It might not last long.  The first 10,000 times that some woman had to wait seven months for a mammogram, and developed inoperable cancer in the interim, it would change.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 07:28:49 AM »
That and when they find malpractice,real or not,is in the hands of a government bureaucracy to administer.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 07:30:42 AM »
Yeah, let's nationalize 1/6 the economy--that'll stimulate it!

Like a 4-year old gets "stimulated" by sticking a fork in an electrical outlet.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »
Just wait until there is a ten months waiting list for abortions.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »
It might not last long.  The first 10,000 times that some woman had to wait seven months for a mammogram, and developed inoperable cancer in the interim, it would change.

Somehow I doubt it. See Canada. The sheeple just get comfy with a bad system and are scared to make changes lest they lose their "free" benefits.