Author Topic: primitives discuss quack diet foods  (Read 1137 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss quack diet foods
« on: November 26, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=222x48216

Oh my.

AllieB  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-26-08 08:47 AM
Original message

'Quack foods' that claim to aid weight loss are 'waste of money'

Consumers are wasting billions of pounds on 'quack' foods that promise to help them lose weight, a nutritional expert has warned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/351979...

snip:

New legislation must be enforced to prevent the deception, Prof Michael Lean, of University of Glasgow said, as the marketing of food stuffs do not face the same stringent controls as medicines.

Writing in the British Medical Journal online, he said marketing foods as 'low fat' and 'helps lower cholesterol' have to be substantiated under current rules and labelling foods as preventing or treating disease is illegal, but 'huge numbers' of such claims are still being made overtly or implied.

More here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/351979...
--------------------------------

What is scary is that this Dr. Lean is promoting the typical pharmaceutical/surgical alternatives: "He said only appropriate diets, exercise, licensed drugs such as orlistat and sibutramine along with bariatric surgery which includes stomach stapling and gastric bands, are safe and effective."

It's all about money.

itsjustme  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-26-08 09:04 AM
Response to Original message

1. guess I need to give up eating celery

You know, I was told when a little lad that celery is the only food that uses up more calories in its consumption, than the calories it gives.

Anybody know if this is true?

zipplewrath  (241 posts)     Wed Nov-26-08 09:10 AM

2. No, it's about effectiveness

The problem is that effectiveness in this context has to be proven directly, not by inference. The vast majority of diet/weight loss related products demonstrate their effectiveness by implied inference. "Low fat" is relatively useless in a sugar candy.

There is no tangible dietary advantage of eating candy as a way of avoiding fat. But commercial products will suggest that their's is a "part of a low fat diet which has been shown to reduce weight and lower cholesterol". THAT is all about the money.

Showing directly that sugar candy can be "part of a safe and effective in reducing weight" cost money. It's far cheaper to find a study showing that low fat diets help with weight loss, and then suggest that your low fat candy is some how part of a low fat diet.

NV Whino (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-26-08 09:45 AM

3. Dr Lean? You're kidding, right?

AllieB  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-26-08 09:48 AM
Response to Reply #3

4. Ironic last name, no?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jtyangel

Re: primitives discuss quack diet foods
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »
There is actually a weight loss quack thing online that is snatching before and after pics of people and using them without their permission to promote their products. I have one girl as a friend on my myspace and she actually lost it by watching what foods she ate and in what quantities and going to the gym with her boyfriend 6 days a week. They took her pictures from a weight loss site and used them without her permission. :o

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
There is actually a weight loss quack thing online that is snatching before and after pics of people and using them without their permission to promote their products. I have one girl as a friend on my myspace and she actually lost it by watching what foods she ate and in what quantities and going to the gym with her boyfriend 6 days a week. They took her pictures from a weight loss site and used them without her permission. :o
I wonder if she'd have any legal recourse. I thought that you had to sign papers for pictures to be used.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »
New legislation must be enforced to prevent the deception, Prof Michael Lean, of University of Glasgow said, as the marketing of food stuffs do not face the same stringent controls as medicines.

Yep -- need that Nanny State to keep people from doing stupid things.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 12:25:25 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=222x48216

You know, I was told when a little lad that celery is the only food that uses up more calories in its consumption, than the calories it gives.

Anybody know if this is true?

Yes,it does. Along with the other part of celery,Celery seed is good for High blood pressure,Gout, Arthritis,Nervousness, Diruretic,and Rheumatism. About 8 sticks a day or in capsules.

Third party Linda Page, PhD.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 02:58:59 AM »
Celery salt is good for bloody marys.  :-)

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:45:43 PM »
I think half the battle is psychological so if Slim Fast, Nutrisystem, Hoodia, low carb works for you then go for it. Starchy , high glycemic food seem to be my kryptonite but for all I know it could psychological. I know people who can eat baked potatoes every day and look fabulous. Some studies show exercise has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss but I have yet to lose without stepping up my weights/cardio and I certainly wouldn't be able to eat as well as I do without daily exercise.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams