Author Topic: DU moron proves WHY we have a Senate and WHY the states need representation  (Read 665 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://democraticunderground.com/100214770442#post18

Pantagruel (1,191 posts)

Statehood is the problem

The idea that 50 states under the U.S.A. banner, each with their own legal structure, can ever function efficiently to fight common national problems has become obsolete. We need NATIONAL Electoral systems, ID's, gun laws, drug laws , medical standards, etc., etc.
Dr. Fauci bemoans the symptoms, not the underlying structural weakness.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/531787-fauci-states-differing-responses-a-major-weakness-in-fighting-coronavirus

NRaleighLiberal (53,250 posts)

1. hell, yes - each state is its own country. These days, the cities are their own country.

Walleye (3,748 posts)

2. What we need is a federal government that's willing to step up and do their job.

The way YOU think it should be done, right?

dawg day (6,638 posts)

3. Also statelines are generally arbitrary and can be crossed easily

Last edited Mon Dec 28, 2020, 01:32 PM - Edit history (1)

No passport, no permission needed. I can buy my furniture in the state to the east with lower sales tax, marijuana in the state to the north where it's legal, and alcohol to the south where they have only a minor liquor tax.
I can get married easily in one state and divorced easily in another.

Plus of course if I had guns, I could carry them into states where guns are limited. It's all pretty dumb.

It's all pretty genius if you ask me.  If you want to live in a liberal hell hole, that's your business, leave me alone.

Squinch (34,750 posts)

9. I live in New York. It's not perfect, but I really don't want Arkansas or Kentucky politicians

messing in our laws.

No thanks.

NYC Liberal (18,958 posts)

13. I agree. I like the fact that we can pass free tuition,

paid sick leave, anti-discrimination laws, and have effective policies to fight COVID without needing Mississippi’s approval.

Yes all of those things should be national, but in the meantime I’m happy for states with sane leadership to have the power to act now.

Yup, you're correct.  That's why your state budget is out of control and why the SALT cap was a thing of beauty!  Without that cap, YOU weren't paying for all of that stuff, the rest of us were.

Progressive Jones (2,942 posts)

18. We absolutely need to stop having States that

receive more Federal funding than they send to the Federal government.
Example: Kentucky gets over $2.00 in Federal funding per $1.00 sent to Washington.
Most, if not all, red States are a parasitic financial burden on this nation. This needs to end, ASAP.

You really might want to do some deep research on this before posting.  The states that are on the 'take' are not the ones you think.  CA is not a donor like most of you like to claim.

KC

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Happy Fun Ball

We don't need two or three cities electing the president like what would have happened in 2016 if the Electoral College didn't exist.

Offline Delmar

Response to Pantagruel (Original post)Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:41 PM
Buckeyeblue (3,310 posts)
21. The problem is that we have states with small populations that get 2 Senators

And states with large populations getting...2 Senators.

The house needs to expand so the representation is equal.

We have a representative democracy that allows 35% of the country to act as the majority.

This needs talked about more and more

This primitive needs to shut his stupid mouth and listen while the Duke sets him straight on what's what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJIztvOwQ9M
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
They have some crazy notion that if we elect the president by popular vote, that’ll somehow create less conflict. It never occurs to them that would pit city dwellers against those who live in the country. And no, the internet and working from home would not alleviate that issue. It seems the lessons of the Roman Empire haven’t even entered their tiny little heads.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
This primitive needs to shut his stupid mouth and listen while the Duke sets him straight on what's what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJIztvOwQ9M

Perfect!!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

The Constitution designed the Senate to make it harder for populous states like California, New York, and Illinois to exploit and oppress less populous states like the Dakotas or Kansas or etc.. DUmmie rage demonstrates their foresight.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.