Author Topic: bitter old Vermontese cali primitive being driven nuts  (Read 2095 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: bitter old Vermontese cali primitive being driven nuts
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
At the very least, she should consider a med alert system, and she should certainly have a phone down stairs.

I've always pictured the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive as a tall, thin, angular woman wearing an old U.S. Army great-coat and rubber galoshes as she feeds the chickens in her yard (yes, she has chickens).

As formidable as a battleship hoving into port, the cali primitive.

And I can respect that, but she's really got to take measures to ensure her personal safety, such as being more friendly to people, unspokenly "inviting" them to visit her so they can check up on things; check to be sure she's safe.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 09:03:07 PM »
If it's a place that's pretentous enough to sell $25 pots of tea, they can afford to plant a cell phone tower somewhere.

And judging by the coverage map for my provider, doesn't look THAT spotty.  As long as you're not in the mountains, you're fine.  Northern NH and Maine?  Not so much.  I remember when Scoobie and I went to Pittsburg in July.  Forget about anything north of Berlin/Lancaster or so.  There was a little spot in Colebrook, but that was IT.

Drive through Vermont then report on your coverage -- it is that spotty (I go there several times a year).

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »
I feel bad for her, actually.  And as much as I hate to say it, Nadin is right.  Three months after a fracture like that is still the painful period and she needs the pain medication.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 07:13:40 AM »
I feel bad for her, actually.  And as much as I hate to say it, Nadin is right.  Three months after a fracture like that is still the painful period and she needs the pain medication.

We probably wouldn't disagree on that, given her age and that she's a woman, thus more likely to have bone problems than a man (that osteowhatever thing).

But I'm more concerned about the cali primitive's future, as she's not getting any younger.

In fact, it's been a very long time since she was young, to begin with.

For her own safety, I think the cali primitive has to become more social, more people-friendly, so if something like this happens again, she won't have to do what she'd done, because inevitably someone is going to come by to help.  Turning her home into the local community center, the coffee-shoppe, the village cafe, the town meeting room, would go a long way in ensuring if something happens to her, someone will be there.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
We probably wouldn't disagree on that, given her age and that she's a woman, thus more likely to have bone problems than a man (that osteowhatever thing).

But I'm more concerned about the cali primitive's future, as she's not getting any younger.

In fact, it's been a very long time since she was young, to begin with.

For her own safety, I think the cali primitive has to become more social, more people-friendly, so if something like this happens again, she won't have to do what she'd done, because inevitably someone is going to come by to help.  Turning her home into the local community center, the coffee-shoppe, the village cafe, the town meeting room, would go a long way in ensuring if something happens to her, someone will be there.

When I think of Cali, social and people-friendly are not the words I would ascribe to her.  Now, if she could get that free apartment in an assisted living facility where all meals and other necessities are provided for free (or without cost to her), she may learn some social skills and she'd be safe. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 07:35:45 AM »
When I think of Cali, social and people-friendly are not the words I would ascribe to her.  Now, if she could get that free apartment in an assisted living facility where all meals and other necessities are provided for free (or without cost to her), she may learn some social skills and she'd be safe.

Allegedly the cali primitive is an aunt of my fellow alum Skins, but I dunno for sure.

She was born and raised in Connecticut, and when the hippies descended upon the once-distinctive state of Vermont with their "communes" and other silly stuff, she was part of that migration.

She had some bad experiences with men during the '60s and '70s, and became a recluse.

She's very hostile to people coming to see her.

Well, in one aspect I can understand that, her wish for solitude.  There's many similarities between the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive and franksolich, most markedly that we're both "vulnerable" to some degree, her being a single older woman living out in the middle of nowhere, and myself being a single deaf male living out in the middle of nowhere.

But our reactions are different; she dislikes other people, while franksolich likes other people.....provided they give him at least some peace and quiet, some solitude.

She doesn't seem to understand that having other people hanging around is the best guarantee that if some sort of harm imperils her, someone will come to her rescue.  Putting up with other people is a small price to pay for such security.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
Now, if she could get that free apartment in an assisted living facility where all meals and other necessities are provided for free (or without cost to her), she may learn some social skills and she'd be safe.

I've watched the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive for years, and I have rather the opposite impression of her; that unlike most other primitives, she truly wishes to be self-reliant, to be her own person.

It's just that her politics and her values are ****ed up.  Her bitterness, her Hate, cripples her.

If she had her head on right, she'd resemble tough, self-reliant--but still utterly femme--women of the Sandhills of Nebraska.

But even given that she lacks the milk of human kindness, she's still a formidable presence.  Every time I see her on Skins's island, I'm reminded of a great big grey battleship hoving into port.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
Drive through Vermont then report on your coverage -- it is that spotty (I go there several times a year).

Yes dearest, but I LIVE up in it.  Do I have to mine I-93 and I-95 again?

What you call paradise, I call home.  Have fun in Massholinuckistan.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 06:34:23 PM »
Yes dearest, but I LIVE up in it.  Do I have to mine I-93 and I-95 again?

What you call paradise, I call home.  Have fun in Massholinuckistan.

You moved to Vermont?

Let's be perfectly clear -- never in my lifetime have I ever referred to NH as paradise.   Never once.  Not even a little.   

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »
I've always pictured the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive as a tall, thin, angular woman wearing an old U.S. Army great-coat and rubber galoshes as she feeds the chickens in her yard (yes, she has chickens).

As formidable as a battleship hoving into port, the cali primitive.

And I can respect that, but she's really got to take measures to ensure her personal safety, such as being more friendly to people, unspokenly "inviting" them to visit her so they can check up on things; check to be sure she's safe.
What I did was put the nephew in the will to get my place when I pass on. Then make my brother the executor of the will and remind him the place will sell better if they find my body within 24 hours of my passing.

I get visitors all the time!

The bitter old Vermontese cali primitive, on the other hand, is reaping what she has sown.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »
The bitter old Vermontese cali primitive, on the other hand, is reaping what she has sown.

She wants to be left alone; she's anti-social.

Meaning that if something happens to her, nobody's going to care.  Too bad, cali.

I like to be left alone too, but on the other hand I realize the wisdom of having people come by; it's a very small price to pay for ensuring that if something happens to me, help will come, and usually fast.

This is circa 1:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon.  I live way out in the middle of nowhere, the nearest neighbor six miles away, and town six miles another direction away.  The grumpy old guy, a widower, who lives across the river (circa two miles, but again, six miles by road), is out in California visiting his daughter and her husband and family (I take care of his place while he's gone).

I live out in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes it's inconvenient for others to get here.

However, I've had "open house" since 5:30 a.m. today, as usual, and thus far I've had six people dropping in, about one person per hour.  They're not here to see me specifically; they're here to do something else, but because I'm here, they come in and socialize.

It's because I'm happy to see them.  I like solitude, but on the other hand I like the idea of other people coming over and hanging around, because it ensures my safety (a big big big priority for the deaf).

I think the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive would do good to emulate franksolich.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
At the very least, she should consider a med alert system, and she should certainly have a phone down stairs.

I haven't noticed that the cali primitive's been to this thread, becoming illuminated.

But I wish she'd read it, because it could save her life some day.

If the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive were somewhat less anti-social, and encouraged people to drop by, to drop in, to hang around, the next time something happens to her--and given her age, it's pretty likely something's going to happen to her--she won't have to be painfully crawling with a broken limb for two miles to get help.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
She wants to be left alone; she's anti-social.

Meaning that if something happens to her, nobody's going to care.  Too bad, cali.

I like to be left alone too, but on the other hand I realize the wisdom of having people come by; it's a very small price to pay for ensuring that if something happens to me, help will come, and usually fast.

This is circa 1:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon.  I live way out in the middle of nowhere, the nearest neighbor six miles away, and town six miles another direction away.  The grumpy old guy, a widower, who lives across the river (circa two miles, but again, six miles by road), is out in California visiting his daughter and her husband and family (I take care of his place while he's gone).

I live out in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes it's inconvenient for others to get here.

However, I've had "open house" since 5:30 a.m. today, as usual, and thus far I've had six people dropping in, about one person per hour.  They're not here to see me specifically; they're here to do something else, but because I'm here, they come in and socialize.

It's because I'm happy to see them.  I like solitude, but on the other hand I like the idea of other people coming over and hanging around, because it ensures my safety (a big big big priority for the deaf).

I think the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive would do good to emulate franksolich.

I have an idea.  Maybe you could ask her to come live with you in the Sandhills of Nebraska.  Yeah, that would be fun.  You could make it into a sitcom for TV.

Just kidding, of course. 

:whistling:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 01:43:56 PM »

I have an idea.  Maybe you could ask her to come live with you in the Sandhills of Nebraska.  Yeah, that would be fun.  You could make it into a sitcom for TV.

Just kidding, of course. 

:whistling:

Oh, I'm sure it would make for a fantastic half-hour situation comedy for television.

Really; I mean that.

Bitter old New Englander roughing it with franksolich in the Sandhills.

In fact, madam, you gave me the idea for a new story, once I'm done with "a primitive Christmas Carol."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »
This whiny tale about cali's leg isn't much of a bouncy, but at least it's something.

A lot of DUmmies have just shut it down since voting completed and the polls closed.

Nutcase nadin is a shell of her arrogant, condescending self, the Omaha Weeper has evaporated, and the dick inspector has hardly peeped out of the single-wide.

Some of it may be a protest against the Pay-to-Play pachinko-themed new DUmp, but I have to believe the Top DUmmy election schedule is an influence.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
This whiny tale about cali's leg isn't much of a bouncy, but at least it's something.

A lot of DUmmies have just shut it down since voting completed and the polls closed.

Nutcase nadin is a shell of her arrogant, condescending self, the Omaha Weeper has evaporated, and the dick inspector has hardly peeped out of the single-wide.

Some of it may be a protest against the Pay-to-Play pachinko-themed new DUmp, but I have to believe the Top DUmmy election schedule is an influence.

Probably the primitives are anxiously waiting, but no release of the top primitives until Christmas Eve, and then every day thereafter until New Year's.

They'll just have to be patient and wait.

Inbetweentimes, before Christmas Eve, I hope to get out two short stories featuring primitives, "a primitive Christmas Carol" and "Christmas for cali," which are still works-in-progress.

Thanks to Traveshamockery for the inspiration behind the second story; it's great.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 07:44:44 PM »
What I did was put the nephew in the will to get my place when I pass on. Then make my brother the executor of the will and remind him the place will sell better if they find my body within 24 hours of my passing.

I get visitors all the time!

LOL -- H5!