Author Topic: Chickens are capable of feeling empathy, scientists believe  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Chickens are capable of feeling empathy, scientists believe
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »
onehandle  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-09-11 12:09 PM
Original message

Source: Telegraph

Domestic chickens display signs of empathy, the ability to ''feel another's pain'' that is at the heart of compassion, a study has found.

The discovery has important implications for the welfare of farm and laboratory animals, say researchers. Empathy, long thought to be a defining human trait, causes one individual to be affected by the emotional state of another. Feelings are ''mirrored'' in the observer, leading to a shared experience of being happy, sad or distressed. The research demonstrated that hens possess a fundamental capacity to empathise, at least with their own chicks. Scientists chose hens and chicks for the study because it is thought empathy probably evolved to aid parental care.

A number of controlled procedures were carried out which involved ruffling the feathers of chicks and mother hens with an air puff. When chicks were exposed to puffs of air, they showed signs of distress that were mirrored by their mothers. The hens' heart rate increased, their eye temperature lowered - a recognised stress sign - and they became increasingly alert. Levels of preening were reduced, and the hens made more clucking noises directed at their chicks.

Researcher Jo Edgar, from the School of Veterinary Sciences at the University of Bristol, said: ''The extent to which animals are affected by the distress of others is of high relevance to the welfare of farm and laboratory animals. ''Our research has addressed the fundamental question of whether birds have the capacity to show empathic responses. ''We found that adult female birds possess at least one of the essential underpinning attributes of 'empathy', the ability to be affected by, and share, the emotional state of another.''

Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8370301...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x594267

I'm not going to bring anything over on this thread ... I just wanted to mark it to see if Underground Panther shows up!

:lmao:

Blackie?  Is that you??

:rotf:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: Chickens are capable of feeling empathy, scientists believe
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:53:06 PM »
Autumn  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-09-11 12:16 PM
Response to Original message
2. I got to say, I have a hen who is six years old
 she is just the smartest thing I have seen. She is more like a dog and I swear to God she understands me when we talk. I think she can even tell time. When it's time for me to start dinner she gets on the deck railing by the kitchen window and chats with me when I am in the kitchen.

Mrs. Doolittle or just a wing short of a full fryer?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »
I don't care.  Chicken is delicious and I'm still going to eat its empathic thigh/wing/breast.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »
Mmm... deep-fried feelings. :yum:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
I'll lay odds chickens are definitely higher in IQ than 90% of the primitives on Skin's Island!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Online jukin

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
I'll lay odds chickens are definitely higher in IQ than 90% of the primitives on Skin's Island!
And smell better too.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
Mmm... deep-fried feelings. :yum:

lol, that reminded me of this:

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
If these geeks didn't spend so much of their time conducting ridiculous experiments like this more of them might be getting laid.

Chickens feeling empathy?  :lmao:

Any critter that isn't smart enough not to shit in its own feed isn't demonstrating much mental capacity.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »
If these geeks didn't spend so much of their time conducting ridiculous experiments like this more of them might be getting laid.

Chickens feeling empathy?  :lmao:

Any critter that isn't smart enough not to shit in its own feed isn't demonstrating much mental capacity.

Shit, my CAT feels empathy for me as long as I feed it and give it some loving.    Now if I drop dead and no one finds me for a week, my cats  will ****ing eat me.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
Chickens; yet one more thing that displays higher brain functions than your average liberal.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
Yeah, they feel empathy for their chicks...that's why they'll abandon ones that are unhealthy and handicapped. I have a few chickens who are pets, definitely friendlier than the majority and I adore them. I even taught my rooster, Spartacus, to jump up and take food out of my hand, but they operate on habit and instinct. The broody ones are great mothers but the majority of them lay their eggs, get up from the nest and don't ever think of them again. Even the good mothers will chase them away when they've reached a certain size. Some roosters will stand by their favorite hens while they lay but mostly that's because they're hoping to get a little when she hops out of the nesting box.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:31:34 PM »
Here's one for GOBUCKS:

Vehl (897 posts)        Wed Mar-09-11 01:51 PM
Response to Reply #26
29.  contrary to popular belief there are a lot of yummy vegetarian food out there 

queenjane (187 posts)      Wed Mar-09-11 01:50 PM
Response to Reply #26
28. Thank you!
 I've even weaned my 82 year old Mom off most meat & dairy.
  Any snot-nosed kid o mine who tried that would pull back a stump. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
queenjane (187 posts)      Wed Mar-09-11 01:50 PM
Response to Reply #26
28. Thank you!

Oh bullshit!  First of all, someone with that low of a post count has to be working for DUmp street cred.  Secondly, anyone who is 82 isn't going to wean off of meat & dairy because their kid made them.  Hell, if I make it to 82, I'll be smoking, drinking & eating whatever the hell I want.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »

Oh bullshit!  First of all, someone with that low of a post count has to be working for DUmp street cred.  Secondly, anyone who is 82 isn't going to wean off of meat & dairy because their kid made them.  Hell, if I make it to 82, I'll be smoking, drinking & eating whatever the hell I want.

Not to mention, once people pass, I'd say, 60, they're generally set to their ways. Hell, I'm that way at 38.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:12 PM »

Oh bullshit!  First of all, someone with that low of a post count has to be working for DUmp street cred.  Secondly, anyone who is 82 isn't going to wean off of meat & dairy because their kid made them.  Hell, if I make it to 82, I'll be smoking, drinking & eating whatever the hell I want.

:lmao:  Reminds me of a guy I worked for years ago. He was about 72 or 73. He went to the doctor and came back acting down in the dumps. I asked him what was wrong. He told me that the doctor had told him that he had to quit drinking liquor, smoking cigars, and eating BBQ. I asked what would happen if he didn't stop. Would he not get old because if so it was too late for that.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »

She died.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 03:00:47 PM »
I wonder what a human being feels in utero. 

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »

That goes for shoe scrapings too.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 03:45:24 PM »
onehandle  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-09-11 12:09 PM
Original message

Source: Telegraph

Domestic chickens display signs of empathy, the ability to ''feel another's pain'' that is at the heart of compassion, a study has found.
Yet the unborn aborted human off-spring, the giggly, jiggy, freedom authenticating love activity of the left are not.

Gotcha - chicken-liberal...
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
Autumn  (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-09-11 12:16 PM
Response to Original message
2. I got to say, I have a hen who is six years old
 she is just the smartest thing I have seen. She is more like a dog and I swear to God she understands me when we talk. I think she can even tell time. When it's time for me to start dinner she gets on the deck railing by the kitchen window and chats with me when I am in the kitchen.

Apparently someone scored themselves some righteous designer bud...
"My chickens talk with me and we discuss Freud, our Mensa memberships, Plato, Socrates ("Erm...I drank what?"), and 0bama."

Riiight....

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
Well now, there you have it!

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
Yeah, they feel empathy for their chicks...that's why they'll abandon ones that are unhealthy and handicapped. I have a few chickens who are pets, definitely friendlier than the majority and I adore them. I even taught my rooster, Spartacus, to jump up and take food out of my hand, but they operate on habit and instinct. The broody ones are great mothers but the majority of them lay their eggs, get up from the nest and don't ever think of them again. Even the good mothers will chase them away when they've reached a certain size. Some roosters will stand by their favorite hens while they lay but mostly that's because they're hoping to get a little when she hops out of the nesting box.

Cindie

Heh! Guess that's why they compare us males to roosters, huh? It's hell waitin' for momma to get well after pregnancy! How many of us wait 2 weeks?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
My chickens are liberals! All they say is barraaak!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline longview

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »
My chickens are liberals! All they say is barraaak!

:rotf: