Author Topic: Wow I didn't realize that social security taxes raises almost as much as individ  (Read 871 times)

Offline CC27

dkf Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Dec-27-10 08:42 AM
Original message
Wow I didn't realize that social security taxes raises almost as much as individual income taxes.

Estimated receipts for fiscal year 2010 are $2.381 trillion, an estimated decrease of 11% from 2009.

$1.061 trillion – Individual income taxes
$940 billion – Social Security and other payroll tax
$222 billion – Corporation income taxes
$77 billion – Excise taxes
$23 billion – Customs duties
$20 billion – Estate and gift taxes
$22 billion – Deposits of earnings
$16 billion – Other

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_feder...

Nice size bonfire. Lots of stupid.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x75024

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline jukin

Soon coming to number three with a rocket, Obama HellCare Tax.

The bill had noting to do with health care and everything to do with fostering a bigger government and more taxes on us.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Notesdev is certainly a world-class TEOTWAKI-shrieking idiot.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
dkf

Wow I didn't realize that social security taxes raises almost as much as individual income taxes.

When the gov't is receiving a combined 15.3% (SS and medicare) for every dollar you make, it adds up, you dimwit.  There's a lot more people working who pay 15.3% (even in this bad economy) than there are of the top 1% who pay individual income tax.

Amount collected from more bodies paying 15.3% = Amount collected from fewer bodies paying income tax.

Remember that when you watch your "progressive" pols never get rid of sales tax and other taxes on the poor.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
That's a really interesting thread.  The very first mole I had over there was banned on the second post for even mentioning SS was a Ponzi Scheme.

DU ...... it's evolving.  HAH!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Karin

Really?  Cause later on they go back to calling it a Ponzi scheme. 

That thread has a whole lot of heads in the sand. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Really?  Cause later on they go back to calling it a Ponzi scheme. 

That thread has a whole lot of heads in the sand. 

Is this in reference to my post?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Critics on both sides like to call it a Ponzi scheme, but it's really much more sophisticated than that.  A Ponzi schemer couldn't just up and change the eligibility age, level of payout, or amount of required contribution to keep the whole ship floating.  It is really a lot more robust (Rightly or wrongly, YMMV) than people attacking it understand, or want to admit even if they do understand the structure.  Unlike a Ponzi scheme, it's not a game with permanently-fixed rules, and all the dire projections are based on the false assumption that today's snapshot of its operating parameters are fixed forever.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
Critics on both sides like to call it a Ponzi scheme, but it's really much more sophisticated than that.  A Ponzi schemer couldn't just up and change the eligibility age, level of payout, or amount of required contribution to keep the whole ship floating.  It is really a lot more robust (Rightly or wrongly, YMMV) than people attacking it understand, or want to admit even if they do understand the structure.  Unlike a Ponzi scheme, it's not a game with permanently-fixed rules, and all the dire projections are based on the false assumption that today's snapshot of its operating parameters are fixed forever.

Ponzi schemes also have voluntary participants unlike SS which in effect holds us up at gunpoint.

Offline true_blood

Soon coming to number three with a rocket, Obama HellCare Tax.
The bill had noting to do with health care and everything to do with fostering a bigger government and more taxes on us.
In other words, another form of communism. But, the stupids on the DUmp have no clue what so ever.
Don't they realize the more the gubberment takes from us, the less we have?! Slaves to the gubberment. Are they really that empty headed? Oh wait,.......yes they are, and then some. :mental: :loser:

Offline I_B_Perky

Ponzi schemes also have voluntary participants unlike SS which in effect holds us up at gunpoint.

We have a winnah!!!

If they would just give me what I put in over the years, plus 5 percent interest compounded, I'd never have to draw on SS. As it stands now I will never see any of it thanks to congress. They will eventually be forced to means test it and those of us that sacrificed and saved for their retirement will come out on the short end of the stick. Pisses me off.  :banghead: 
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DumbAss Tanker

True, and yet another factor that makes it much more robust than all the doomsayers pronounce.