Author Topic: Obama Announces Complete Withdrawal of U.S. Forces From Iraq by End of 2011  (Read 4123 times)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Won on the field of battle. Lost in the White House.

As I mentioned over on CU, I have a strong suspicion the WH maneuvered itself into this outcome over some time, and it is not nearly so sudden or unexpected as they're letting on to the ever-credulous press.  This has the amazingly convenient effect of allowing them to totally pull the plug on Iraq without the burden of just cutting and running, giving the Dem base what it wants while maintaining plausible deniability with the sane majority of the electorate.  I expect the militias will be back to massacres shortly after we pull out and back to full-scale war with each other before we get to Summer, let alone the election.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
As I mentioned over on CU, I have a strong suspicion the WH maneuvered itself into this outcome over some time, and it is not nearly so sudden or unexpected as they're letting on to the ever-credulous press.  This has the amazingly convenient effect of allowing them to totally pull the plug on Iraq without the burden of just cutting and running, giving the Dem base what it wants while maintaining plausible deniability with the sane majority of the electorate.  I expect the militias will be back to massacres shortly after we pull out and back to full-scale war with each other before we get to Summer, let alone the election.

I think that you are right....the WH simply decided to ignore aggressive negotiations to preserve a US presence when they had an opportunity to put in place a new agreement two years ago......it didn't fit their agenda politically, and additionally it was GWB's original deadline, so the "Blame Bush" excuse also returns to play, if things go south.

I further suspect that behind the scenes immense pressure is being placed on the WH to change that position.  I'm even hearing rumbles that the Iraqi Parliament is (very quietly) considering a resolution to override the (Iraqi) president's decision on immunity.  Even the sane Shi'a parliament members see the risk in making this move......I'm hoping that in the final analysis we'll end up with about 20,000 sets of boots on the ground over there, and at least two operational airbases.

We'll see if more rational heads prevail......

You know, I'm an old guy, and I remember when the majority of American politicians were "statesmen", and regardless of political party, they looked at the long-range implications of US actions overseas, they fought like hell over domestic issues and to retain their ideological purity, but today's bunch seems to actually pride themselves in looking no further than the next election.....sadly that was an era that seems to have passed.

doc
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:57:56 AM by TVDOC »
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Erasmus

• Holla ifju thank im seeeeexy!
Based on what I've heard from an acquaintance in the US Embassy in Bagdad, the vast majority of Iraqi's (even those in Parliament) want us to stay........only Al Sadr and his Shi'ia don't, Al Sadr has the President's ear, and through him insisted on the caveat that US troops would be subject to local laws.  It should be noted that Al Sadr takes his orders from Iran (and is even now in Tehran studying to become an Ayatollah).  I will never understand why we didn't find a way for that bastard to have a fatal "accident" five years ago.

The Obama has made no real effort to negotiate an agreement for a continued US presence, other than very limited communications through the Embassy.  He doesn't consider it important.

I don't think that we are the "tip of the spear" there any longer........nor do I think we should be......just a presence.

I remain of the opinion that abandoning Iraq is a mistake that we will pay for again in the future, just like we did by not finishing the job in 1990......

doc

I don't think that Obama doesn't consider Iraq "important".  I think he knows that by leaving now, Iran will take over Iraq sooner rather than later.  It's what Obama wants.  The grand gathering of world muslims to form a gigantic caliphate.  He knows this will happen, just like he knows sharia law and not democracy will be the order of the day in Libya and Egypt.  It seems like the Shiite and Sunnis have a better chance of coming to terms with each other now than they ever have before.  To gain Iraq, I would not be surprised to see Iran make some religious concessions.

Obama will leave a stronger legacy in muslim countries than in the US.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:13:38 PM by Erasmus »

Offline Lacarnut

I have an idea for an exit strategy

These extremist want to kill us and change our way of life. Nuke them and let's get this shit over with.

Offline cmypay

Thinking about this over the weekend, I began to wonder something. I bet even money that Obama went into these negotiations the same way he "negotiated" with the Republicans. My way or the highway and the President of Iraq told him to pack sand.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Obama Announces Complete Withdrawal of U.S. Forces From Iraq by End of 2011
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
OOOK, so one day we hear the military is cutting senior personal those with 5-6 years to retirement.   Senior Chiefs to Senior Sargent's that have made this a carear.     Off you go gentleman and Lady's, no retirement for you. We thank you as a country for spending 15+ years of your life defending America, there is nothing you did wrong, we just do not want to pay you a retirement.

It is not too late for you carear men and woman to get into the civilian work force where you have to start all over at the bottom and compete with youngsters that come from the civilian sector and your military skills conflict.

Those that retire with a pension have time to reeducate themselves into the civilian world, pension helps with new schooling costs.

Now we have the under 25-30 year old, men and woman being sent home from a job they put their lives on the line for.

Where can they get work if their reenlistment is refused.      I know of little jobs that require killing and smashing things in Civilian life.   Our hero's have been busy working for us while the 8-10 year old younger civilians  have been educated and even with that out of work.

Where are our hero's to go when they return home to no job, few civilian skills, ----I watched this happen, bunch of people that got out after 8 years, skilled military people but the Electricions and mechanics had to be reeducated to civilian codes.    Heck, What kind of job can a civilian now EX-Torpedio man do in their home town???? 

Really pisses me off, all these kids that shed blood and faced death for us every day come home to no job, few civilian skills.  Pisses me off that the carear men and woman are being forced out of the military, short timers right on the step of retirement.

Obama and his Cabinet are really up shits creek when they keep playing with the tried and true methods to protect our military.    If Obama has a goal to cause uprising in America, he is setting the stage for one hell of a fight.

America, the military backs us and we in turn back them, All the best food, clothing, and welfare has to go to our protectors, To weeken our forces is to have one hell of a back lash on OBAMA.       

Obama for some reason brings to mind the Captain of the Pinafore    ----Gilbert and Sullivan.