Author Topic: If your first response to yet another shooting of a PoC by a cop  (Read 724 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member TDale313 (7,339 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215328582

If your first response to yet another shooting of a PoC by a copIs to explain how “all they had to do was comply” you’re part of the problem.

Watchfoxheadexplodes (3,320 posts)

1. Or your a thinking person

Looking at the ENTIRETY of the situation.

:whatever:

Star Member Ms. Toad (26,186 posts)

8. If your FIRST response is to blame the victim that makes you a thinking person?

No. If that is your first response to, "yet another shooting of a PoC by a cop" is to explain that all they had to do was comply, you are admitting that you starting assumption was that they were not complying.

While I agree that, ultimately, all factors need to be considered - the question posed was about your first reaction.

Star Member unweird (1,089 posts)

10. Really? That's your take?

The “entirety” of the situation would take in the systemic racism of our policing that enables and has tacitly condoned these executions. Perhaps that is what you meant but it didn’t sound like it.

Star Member WhiskeyGrinder (11,460 posts)

2. Bootlickers gonna lick boots

Star Member stillcool (31,249 posts)

5. Damn straight...

I can not imagine what getting pulled over must feel like. Fight or Flight big time.

Claire Oh Nette (1,173 posts)

31. I've had speeding tickets in 8 states

Not 8 speeding tickets. 8 states.
I've been pulled over dozens of times.

Never once, in any traffic stop, in any of those 8 states have I ever been asked to get out of the car. Never.

I've talked my way out of tickets I deserved.

No officer in CA, AZ, NV, IL, VA, NC, KS, and IA, city police, conty sheriff, or high way patrol has ever approached me with a gun drawn.

I have tinted windows, too. Never been tased, except by my own defibrillator.

That is white privilege. If cops are so fearful they pull out pepper spray and tasers for tag checks, they need to be in a different line of work.

:thatsright:

It's not white privilege... you don't have am outstanding warrant for drugs, guns, and flight to avoid arrest, do you?

13. Of course, that ignores the fact

That we’ve seen plenty of these cases where excessive force, often leading to deal, was used where the “suspect” was doing absolutely everything right. For many people of color, there is no way to react that shields them from this. And it’s not about any one case. It’s a huge systematic issue. Cops aren’t supposed to be using lethal levels of force if it’s avoidable. They’re not supposed to be executing people for passing a sus $20 bill or having a tail light out, but these things are happening way too frequently.

Star Member DenaliDemocrat (664 posts)

21. I completely agree

Although I do not understand why people still resist arrest. Cops are obviously undertrained and over aggressive. I treat them like an angry dog. Move slow, speak softly, and avoid eye contact. Seriously, they are loose cannons waiting to go off.

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

33. Bingo

I've never been confronted with a gun.
Ever.
White. Suburban LA & SF Bay Area, now rural Western NC.
Never.

Even 'complying' is subject to the officers' determination of fast enough...

meadowlander (3,032 posts)

20. That doesn't help disabled people or people with mental illnesses.

Cops should be trained in the first instance not to shoot people to kill unless someone's life is actually in danger.

What percentage of people in the US have diabetes, dementia, autism, schizophrenia, etc. that mean sometimes they're not capable of "never getting confrontational with someone carrying a gun"?

It's the responsibility of the person carrying the gun not to use it when there is any other possible way of resolving the situation.

:whatever:

Caliman73 (7,587 posts)

48. Therein lies the problem.

In many people's eyes, including police, Black means dangerous, armed or unarmed. Anything that Black people do is likely to be perceived as a threat because we have all been conditioned to see Black people, especially young Black men, as a threat. So when you are conditioned to respond with force and authority to a situation that does not require that, and on the other end, you have a person who perceives You (the police officer) as a life or death threat, you have the makings of a disaster. You are operating on emotion and that means that critical thinking is out the window.

What gets me, and I know this is only anecdotal, is watching video after video where White men are armed with loaded guns or knives, and are making angry and confrontational movements toward police, but they take the time to calm them down and talk them into custody. Compare that to pulling up on a 12 year old boy and shooting him within 10 seconds, or kneeling on a handcuffed guy for 9 minutes to "get him under control".

I know White people get shot too, and I know that they may also be unarmed, but you cannot realistically deny that there is a big difference in perception between White people and Black people when it comes to how law enforcement reacts.

Star Member LakeArenal (17,027 posts)

7. Sounds very fascist. Or 1984.

Comply, conform, obey, or die.

:o   [covid -cough cough]

Mr.Bill (11,887 posts)

29. They just showed the video on MSNBC.

The cop with the gun yelled "TASER TASER TASER!" just before she shot.

It's going to be a low level manslaughter and end of career at the most.

Star Member barbtries (24,782 posts)

38. i'm cynical.

she didn't have a throwaway gun so she yelled, "Taser!"

I really don't see how you don't know you are pulling the trigger of a gun.

watch though, she won't even be charged. just another Black scofflaw who didn't deserve to live anyway.

:bird:

Star Member barbtries (24,782 posts)

36. that's never my response.

it's cold-blooded murder until i learn otherwise; that's my standard first response and imo it's not unreasonable.

The Jungle 1 (568 posts)

46. Unless you have broken a law police have NO authority over you.

You do not have to obey them like a dog.
First question: What law have I broken? Ask it over and over.
If they say they are investigating explain that you are not willing to help their investigation and ask are you being detained. Then shut up.
This is still America, land of the free and all.

If you have broken a law SHUT UP and then shut up shutting up!

He had warrants out for him, you ****ing idiots...

If you have broken a law SHUT UP and then shut up shutting up!

:loser:

Caliman73 (7,587 posts)

50. While that is true in theory, in practice, especially if you are not White, you can be killed.

You may ask, what law have I broken, while they try to pull you out of your car, then if you even try to reposition yourself while you figure out what the hell is happening, they are saying you are resisting and becoming violent, then they shoot you dead. Sure it will be totally unjustified but that won't stop you from being dead.

Of course if you are Ammon Bundy, you can keep getting arrested for taking over public lands, pointing weapons at police, making threats, etc... because well, he has rights, and he is not Black.

Star Member Hekate (67,882 posts)

55. Sure. And if you are a black man, then they yank you out of your car, say you were "resisting," ...

....and shoot you for being lippy or just existing. The police have all the authority they need in their partners, their guns, fists, and now we discover, their knees.

Read my rant above. I’ve had it up to my teeth with this.

Oh, STFU you ****ing ****.

In none of the last serval years of 'shooting unarmed black men' did this scenario ever happen. Not Once.

So, **** off.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: If your first response to yet another shooting of a PoC by a cop
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 10:15:53 PM »
Uh oh.  It looks to me like we've been served another primitive thread with two or three bona fide primitives on it, all the rest being creations of Lord Marblehead EarlG or someone under his instructions.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 05:35:59 AM »
Caliman73 (7,587 posts)

50. While that is true in theory, in practice, especially if you are not White, you can be killed.

Cops kill more white people than POC, we just don't riot about it.

Online enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:35:55 AM »

Never once, in any traffic stop, in any of those 8 states have I ever been asked to get out of the car. Never.

No officer in CA, AZ, NV, IL, VA, NC, KS, and IA, city police, conty sheriff, or high way patrol has ever approached me with a gun drawn.

That is white privilege. If cops are so fearful they pull out pepper spray and tasers for tag checks, they need to be in a different line of work.

If you have tinted windows, how did the cops know you were white before deciding whether or not to pull their gun?   :bouncy:

Caliman73 (7,587 posts)

In many people's eyes, including police, Black means dangerous, armed or unarmed. Anything that Black people do is likely to be perceived as a threat because we have all been conditioned to see Black people, especially young Black men, as a threat. So when you are conditioned to respond with force and authority to a situation that does not require that, and on the other end, you have a person who perceives You (the police officer) as a life or death threat, you have the makings of a disaster. You are operating on emotion and that means that critical thinking is out the window.

Who are those people, beside you, racist?
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:59:52 AM »

The officers didn't ask the POS to get out of his car because of his rear-view-mirror danglies, that asked him to get out because of an outstanding warrant. Whether DU-Moron Claire Oh Nette lied-by-omission or is just ignorant of this case I won't guess.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 09:05:08 AM »
It's post like these that make me wish the Infinity Gauntlet was real and in my possession. One snap of the fingers and, poof, all DUmbasses turned to dust.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »

If your first response to yet another shooting of a PoC by a copIs to explain how “all they had to do was comply” you’re part of the problem.

my first response is you are the problem if you have warrants and think running from the Police is a good idea.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »

Is Star Moron TDale313 suggesting that "PoC" are somehow incapable of not resisting arrest? That's Stormfront ass-talk! Why is Star Moron TDale313 such a racist?!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
Caliman73 (7,587 posts)

In many people's eyes, including police, Black means dangerous, armed or unarmed.

Who are those people, beside you, racist?

"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then (I) look around and see someone white and feel relieved." ~~Jesse Jackson.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »
Is Star Moron TDale313 suggesting that "PoC" are somehow incapable of not resisting arrest? That's Stormfront ass-talk! Why is Star Moron TDale313 such a racist?!
:lmao:
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 12:50:17 PM »

If the suspect with an outstanding failure to appear warrant had complied then the officer would not have needed to pull a weapon.  Yes, in this case the officer mistakenly pulled her pistol instead of a taser, but had the suspect complied, not attempted to flee and allowed himself to be legally taken into custody then he would still be alive.

People with outstanding warrants who fail to appear and then resist being taken into custody are "the problem." (And the race does not matter. Wypipo who resist and attempt to flee are just as bad.)

Online Old n Grumpy

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 02:31:42 PM »

Or maybe it's because you give good head. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 02:50:15 PM »
Lefty: "HOW DARE YOU ASSUME THAT SOMEONE IS GUILTY OF A CRIME!"

Also Lefty: "WELL, OF COURSE THE MASS SHOOTER IS A TRUMP SUPPORTER!"
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Online enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 03:12:58 PM »
Further contemplation, what if my first response to ANYONE getting shot by a cop, regardless of melanin content, is "should have complied"?
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 03:34:33 PM »
Further contemplation, what if my first response to ANYONE getting shot by a cop, regardless of melanin content, is "should have complied"?

My first thought is: What, exactly, happened?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."