Author Topic: Big Mo Solves World Food Problems  (Read 1911 times)

Offline BamaMoose

Big Mo Solves World Food Problems
« on: April 04, 2024, 03:38:18 AM »
So, Big Mo, one of the wisest people on the internet, has applied all of her brain cells to rising food prices and the amount of food waste that occurs and she has dug down to the root cause of the problem.  Her solution is so ingenious that it will solve all food shortage issues everywhere in the world.  She is so proud of the brilliance of her plan that she immediately shared it with the world, starting with her Senator, who no doubt has got the top scientists in the country working on it.  When food prices plummet, you'll all know who to thank.  So without further ado, here is her master plan:

mopinko (69,864 posts)

my letter to my sen, tammy duckworth- sub i would write this to bob casey, but i live in illinois.
besides the price of food, a preventable, huge stressor on family budgets is food waste. this is part of the business plan of the snack food industry.
there is no reason potato chips should go stale, almost ever, except for the fact that they come in packaging designed to get them to you fresh, and to go stale asap after. unless you repackage them, or use a big clip or something. it’s an idea so obvious, it’s a meme- why dont snacks come in resealable bags?
why are the most expensive items in our carts packaged to go bad? it’s the food version of planned obsolescence.
besides what it does to family budgets, and food assistance programs, these are some of the most environmentally destructive crops.
the solution is obvious. snacks must come in resealable packaging. if they’re smart, they will make it something that people will reuse. the 21st century cookie tin, if you will. except it’s a ziplock bag.
so, to bob casey- i hope you will consider adding this common sense solution to your bill addressing shrinkflation.
keep up the good work, both of you.

sincerely,
mo cahill
urban farmer
artist
designer
mom

eta- feel free to c/p and sign your own name. this is hardly my idea.

OMG, it's so obvious.  This idea is so earth-shattering its meme-worthy.  Not just a good idea, but a friggin' meme-worthy idea!!  Tell those clowns at NASA to quit farting around with the whole space travel thing and jump on this.  Congress needs to drop everything and start investigating Big Chip and the evil oligarchy that controls our junk food.  The CEO of Doritos should not have so much control over our essential food sources.  Other DUmmies, due to their lack of vision, are not impressed:

ProfessorGAC (64,563 posts)
1. Good Letter, But...

...I'm part of the push to go back to paper packaging.
So, I can't get behind resealable plastic. I think the issues of plastic contamination is bigger than shrinkflation.

Stupid fool cant even fathom how important this idea is.

mopinko (69,864 posts)
2. it's not bigger than food waste. over 1/3 of our food ends up in the landfill, outgassing methane.

it doesnt have to b plastic, but it needs to b cheap. maybe this is a chance for hemp plastic to strut it’s stuff. beeswaxed linen? waxed paper? i dunno. once it’s a thing clever ppl will come up w good ideas.
package design is a specialty, but so much of it these days is just rearranging old ideas.
i bet there’s a lot of them out there dying to shine.

Mo set him straight.  Hemp plastic, because cannabis makes everything better.  Or beeswaxed linen, which is a nice way to honor our Founding Fathers and if it was good enough for George Washington it's good enough for me.

Progressive dog (6,874 posts)
5. My dog;s treats come in a zip lock bag

and I still end up using a bag clip. The zip strip easily gets clogged and needs to be hand cleaned, then it usually fails completely by pulling off the bag. Of course with chips you could heat them in the oven or even microwave to restore the crispiness.
I never have to do this for chips because wire bag ties can be used to close most chip bags.

Another short-sighted nay-sayer chimes in but Mo schools her:

mopinko (69,864 posts)
6. single moms living on the edge shouldnt have to do that crap.

and yeah, they wd need to actually reseal.
make it a requirement to use snap for them.

Yep, Mo isn't just thinking about her own issues.  She is looking out for all of humanity.  Like Maria who, after working a typical 17-hour day cleaning bathrooms with her own toothbrush, drags herself home in the cold rain to tuck in her five children.  She only eats two meals a week and when she reaches out for the only food which sustains her through her rough life, she discovers her chips have gone stale.  Faced with going hungry yet another night, she forces herself to make the long journey to 7-11.  Her finances are so bleak that it looks like little Jose will have to go another year with no shoes.  As the rain again soaks her and chills her to the bone, she stops and looks up at the heavens and cries out "Damn you, Ruffles executives!!  Damn you all to Hell!!"  Suggesting Maria use a bag clip or twist-tie is unfathomably cruel.

So everyone, call your Congress critters and let's get on this.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100218824836

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Big Mo Solves World Food Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 06:10:34 AM »
Has she looked in the mirror lately? She could do more to solve the majority of the world's food problems just by missing a meal.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Online FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 07:38:40 AM »
I don't consider snacks going bad a food waste. I barely classify snacks as food. It shows you what here priorities are and says a lot about her eating habits when she dwells on the state and freshness of snacks.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 09:25:39 AM »
besides the price of food, a preventable, huge stressor on family budgets is food waste 1.. this is part of the business plan of the snack food industry.
there is no reason potato chips should go stale, almost ever 2., except for the fact that they come in packaging designed to get them to you fresh, and to go stale asap after. unless you repackage them, or use a big clip or something 3.. it’s an idea so obvious, it’s a meme- why dont snacks come in resealable bags?

1. Food waste is an end user behavior problem, not a producer problem.

2. Packaged foods have expiration dates. The dates are probably padded by 50% or 100%, but no packaging id perfect.

3. We use chip clips and have for a couple of decades. Some snack foods come in resealable packaging, but these still depend on greater care in opening and resealing than many users are likely to exercise. But why the focus on snack foods? The important areas of food waste are with nutritious staples.

4. Why do I have a feeling the mo's post was inspired by having the munchies from her :stoner: ?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 11:22:05 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 10:41:17 AM »
The solution is simple, just eat the whole bag. The food companies want you to believe that fat is beautiful, so don’t worry about it. :lmao: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 11:15:09 AM »
Put the open bag in the refrigerator,they stay fresh much longer.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 11:36:01 AM »
There is a method of folding and rolling an open chip bag which, when employed, keeps chips and other snacks fresh longer than they should reasonably last.

Of course, that would require understanding beyond third grade level, so...
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 12:33:46 PM »
There is a method of folding and rolling an open chip bag which, when employed, keeps chips and other snacks fresh longer than they should reasonably last.

Of course, that would require understanding beyond third grade level, so...

I yes, she doesn’t get out much and realize they’ve already invented the Ziploc bag!

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 01:18:24 PM »
The solution is simple, just eat the whole bag. The food companies want you to believe that fat is beautiful, so don’t worry about it. :lmao: :loser:

Or just buy Pringles.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 12:02:26 AM »
Mopinko makes a great case supporting shrinkflation: less chips in a bag, less food goes to waste.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 12:12:27 PM »
1. Food waste is an end user behavior problem, not a producer problem.

2. Packaged foods have expiration dates. The dates are probably padded by 50% or 100%, but no packaging id perfect.

3. We use chip clips and have for a couple of decades. Some snack foods come in resealable packaging, but these still depend on greater care in opening and resealing than many users are likely to exercise. But why the focus on snack foods? The important areas of food waste are with nutritious staples.

4. Why do I have a feeling the mo's post was inspired by having the munchies from her :stoner: ?

Never take advice on what foods to eat or not by someone that looks liek they are related to Fat Bastard from an Austin Powers movie.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 01:39:46 PM »
It's good to see that Big Mo is still around, and still her usual self.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 01:58:24 PM »
Never take advice on what foods to eat or not by someone that looks liek they are related to Fat Bastard from an Austin Powers movie.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: H5  :cheersmate:

That made me laugh 😂

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 07:45:19 PM »
I see Big Mo on her letterhead gives her credentials as an urban farmer and an artist.

It wasn't that long ago she could've claimed "wife of a multi-millionaire Chicago banker" instead, but she thew that away.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024, 08:53:04 AM »
If you are a single mother living on the edge in Biden's economy, the least of your worries is stale potato chips.  It's more like how to make dinner from the Dollar Tree. 

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 09:18:53 AM »
If you are a single mother living on the edge in Biden's economy, the least of your worries is stale potato chips.  It's more like how to make dinner from the Dollar Tree.

I've heard in the news that some dollar stores are closing due to the prices of so many things going up, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dollar-tree-family-dollar-closing-list-locations-where-are-they/ . I'm so old that I remember that the names "Motel 6" and "E-Z 8" came from those motels having some rooms that cost $6 or $8 per night.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.