Author Topic: Snow watch  (Read 7850 times)

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Snow watch
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:19:43 AM »
We're expecting 10-14 inches with the entertainment gurus at Fox calling for up to 18 inches. 

How much if any are you going to get?
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
Re: Snow watch
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »
None, absolutely none  :p  In fact, it will probably be in the 60's today.

I want snow  :bawl:

Offline gore_bites

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:25:24 AM »
We're looking to get 6-10" up here in Maine tomorrow. It seems to always happen on a Monday that I have to go to work. Oh well.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:28:37 AM »
snow on and off for the next few days..nothing substantial for us though here...

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »
No one is going too far out on a limb for here but 5-10 is the max right now.

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
calling for a "wintery mix" here...which, since we have a meeting at the school tomorrow about my youngest son, that probably mean school will be cancelled so it will mess up the meeting!!  If it was just a normal Monday, we'd probably just get rain!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 10:39:02 AM »
calling for a "wintery mix" here...which, since we have a meeting at the school tomorrow about my youngest son, that probably mean school will be cancelled so it will mess up the meeting!!  If it was just a normal Monday, we'd probably just get rain!

Ugh, flame...we have short days all week this week and then friday and monday off...end of the quarter for the kids so they shorten the days to allow for anyone who wants conferences and for the teachers to tabulate grades and make portfolios from the quarter...argh!

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 11:01:28 AM »
No snow here. We get it once every 5 or 6 years. Enjoyed watching the NFL playoff game between Green Bay & Seattle.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
High of 30 today with a 30-50% chance of flurries and light snow.  We have already broken state records for snowfall this year.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 06:09:37 PM »
it never snows here.  It rained the other day, but that was it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 06:22:54 PM »
No snow, here in 74 degree L.A.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 06:05:47 AM »
Snow in our forecast for Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat.  We are not amused.  I like to visit snow.  I do not like it when snow visits me.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »
We ended up with about 8 inches but it was so heavy it looks like less.

nine eleven is a car

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 07:00:46 PM »
We're expecting 10-14 inches with the entertainment gurus at Fox calling for up to 18 inches. 

How much if any are you going to get?

well, not as much as you on the east coast, but here on the east side of seattle.. we've gotten maybe an inch so far this afternoon. i've been watching all the people coming home from work early today (4-5 pm is early in this neck of the woods) ..

its slushy and will be gone by the morning i'm assuming..

edited to add: we have a snow advisory of 1-3 inches tonight! about 30 minutes away on the ski hills, we've gotten 14 feet so far this winter..

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »
Snow in our forecast for Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat.  We are not amused.  I like to visit snow.  I do not like it when snow visits me.

25 degrees.  Damn, it's cold outside. I wouldn't mind snow but I gotta get to work.  

Offline redwhit

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »
Not as much as I was expecting and really heavy - like you said Right Coast, it looks like even less than it really was.  No matter, there was enough for a snow day and "All That Jazz" was on cable.  I love those feel-good movies with happy endings.  :evillaugh:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »
it is actually sticking here now ... we've had a good two inches at least. we went to let out a neighbor's dog, and our foot prints were covered up ten minutes after we got home..

they are calling for snow til 4 am tomorrow morning.. so, we shall see if we get a snow day or not.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 10:30:33 PM »
it is actually sticking here now ... we've had a good two inches at least. we went to let out a neighbor's dog, and our foot prints were covered up ten minutes after we got home..

they are calling for snow til 4 am tomorrow morning.. so, we shall see if we get a snow day or not.

it doesn't look too awful . . .

Offline Lauri

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 10:33:51 PM »
its not that awful really... we live on a plateau, so both sides (going down to Redmond or the city on the other side) are downhill and a fairly good incline..

we just stay put and the husband does work from home.

my older daughter, however, is at work in redmond and has to travel home in it and somehow make it up the hillside in her little bug..

say a prayer for her  :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »
its not that awful really... we live on a plateau, so both sides (going down to Redmond or the city on the other side) are downhill and a fairly good incline..

my older daughter, however, is at work in redmond and has to travel home in it and somehow make it up the hillside in her little bug..

a bug?  if worse comes to worst, she can always tie a string to the bumper and drag it up the hill herself. :-)

seriously, hope she arrives safely.

Offline Full-Auto

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »
Thank God we've not gotten any snow this year.



Offline Lauri

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 11:35:32 PM »

a bug?  if worse comes to worst, she can always tie a string to the bumper and drag it up the hill herself. :-)

ha! thats true... it is a really light car... if she gets close enough, she can just walk..

in other news, the little kiddo's school has a two hour late start.. but 30 minutes ago (at 9 pm) everything was still opening on time. i'll give it til 10 pm and i'm betting schools start shutting down.

on edit: the kiddo just got home!

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

ha! thats true... it is a really light car... if she gets close enough, she can just walk..

in other news, the little kiddo's school has a two hour late start.. but 30 minutes ago (at 9 pm) everything was still opening on time. i'll give it til 10 pm and i'm betting schools start shutting down.

when I was a kid and lived someplace where it snowed, it seemed like they would wait until the next morning to actually close schools.  it was totally annoying.

glad to hear about the kiddo.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 06:29:50 AM »

when I was a kid and lived someplace where it snowed, it seemed like they would wait until the next morning to actually close schools.  it was totally annoying.

glad to hear about the kiddo.

We had a big storm in Dec were they canceled school the night before, that was pretty cool for the kids.  This time they waited and the notice was posted around 4:30AM, I don't get it.
nine eleven is a car

Offline djones520

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 06:47:39 AM »
From how I understand it, the school districts only allot a certain amount of "snow days" before they gotta start tacking days onto the end of the school year.  Thats why they usually wait until the last minute to make the call.  They don't want to burn up those days too early in the season when theres still another 6 weeks of good snow fall that may occur.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."