Author Topic: I have been considering buying a hybrid vehicle, now look what Ohio and other st  (Read 873 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212863598

I saw this one the other day but I couldn't grab it at the time.  This shows the level of their hypocrisy perfectly.

doc03 (22,875 posts)

I have been considering buying a hybrid vehicle, now look what Ohio and other states

are doing. You have to pay a premium price for a hybrid to start with and save $2500 over five years on gas and now you have to pay another $500 in taxes over 5 years. Myself I think it is more the petroleum industry pushing this rather than raising funds for roads. An electric car will cost $1000 more over 5 years.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2019/05/ohio-owners-of-electric-hybrid-cars-say-new-taxes-fees-are-punitive.html

Now ... see it's like this.  It's all about saving the planet, until it's going to cost THEM!  As long as everyone else has to pay for it they're all for punishment to the max.  Of course they've never been able to think past the end of their own noses to figure out the costs they want to impose will simply be passed along to THEM!

Sherman A1 (27,170 posts)

1. If it is the petroleum industry as you state

then how do you pay for the roads??? A hybrid takes up as much space on a road and causes as much wear on one as a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle.

Squinch (28,169 posts)

3. But at the same time, as the world burns down around us, it behooves us to encourage as many

people as possible to go with hybrids or electrics.

On one side we have roads. On the other we have the air you breathe. I get the point of road maintenance, but that somehow needs to be levied without removing the benefit to the consumer of gas-efficient cars.

Squinch (28,169 posts)

29. Then it should be a road use tax. As our earth burns around us we should not be taxing one of the

few things people are willing to do to reduce emissions.

GP6971 (17,086 posts)

18. In WA State

hybrid owners are going to have pay an additional $75 to pay for electric charging stations. If they had labeled the additional fee as road fees AND charging stations I wouldn't object. But just to fund charging stations which we don't use really annoys me.

FarPoint (8,051 posts)

26. I bought a Hybrid brand new 2019 just before this law...

I bought a great Ford C-Max that I love...no good deed goes unpunished here in Ohio...republicans bleed you ....

ansible (822 posts)

67. California does the same thing as well

:lmao:  And we all know what a conservative strong hold California is!

Aussie105 (890 posts)

27. Better idea . . .

Make hybrids cheaper to run, just tax fuel more. Drive the big gas guzzlers off the road, do the world a favour.

The US has cheap gas anyway.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

Check UK, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong.

Squinch (28,169 posts)

32. This is a MUCH better idea.

Wait until they realize it's the poor who can't afford the electric vehicles.  Naw, they won't care, as long as THEY don't have to pay.

coti (2,333 posts)

59. Gasoline use is and will be going quite strong for a long time.

When we get to the point where we've put such a significant dent in gas use that gas tax revenue declines (and assuming those taxes ACTUALLY get spent on roads, which they quite often don't- the connection between gas taxes and roads is already very loose), after the huge party we have celebrating saving the world we can talk about using one of many sources of governmental funding to strengthen road infrastructure.

Assuming we don't just raise gas taxes, which would be in line with our general public policy of discouraging use of non-renewable, fossil fuels.

All on the backs of the poor who can't afford to upgrade, right?  Or are you planning on throwing them a bone and selling them your used electric vehicle at a huge discount?

madville (4,877 posts)

41. They just need to tax per mile driven

Either with a GPS tracker of some kind or annual verification of the odometer. Then all vehicles will pay an equal share for roads and such.

Yes, that's what I want!  I want the government to know where I'm at 24/7!!!  Who the hell is the authoritarians again??

That's not all of it, but enough to illustrate the fact THEY don't want to pay anything.  THEY want everyone else to pay and they'll go to great lengths to ensure it.  GPS tracker my ass.  (yes, I know my smart phone has that capability, but I don't take it with me everywhere I go nor do I have to report to my government with it every year to pay a new and improved TAX.)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

Myself I think it is more the petroleum industry pushing this rather than raising funds for roads. An electric car will cost $1000 more over 5 years.

Nope. States "need" the gas tax $$ so they can divert it to social programs and greendoggles. Electric cars and hybrids result in reduced tax $$ collected, so the states "have to" get the $$ by other means.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
Squinch

Then it should be a road use tax.

Quote from:
Aussie105

Better idea . . .

Make hybrids cheaper to run, just tax fuel more.

Quote from:
madville (4,877 posts)

They just need to tax per mile driven

Then all vehicles will pay an equal share for roads and such.

What is it with liberals wanting to impose taxes that will mainly hurt the poor?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Not once is it mentioned how 'regressive' these taxes would be.  Why?  Because it affects them.  That's the only time they care.

I say throw some taxes on that highfalutin food they like to talk about.  Or the cheese/wine they boast of enjoying.  Or the high end liquor they speak of.  Why not?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

"Squinch (28,169 posts)

3. But at the same time, as the world burns down around us, it behooves us to encourage as many

people as possible to go with hybrids or electrics."
As the world burns down around us?
LOL, yeah, I can't even go out and about a day without getting caught in at least a three alarm fire at least once!
Fitting that a DUmmy with such a stupid name would make such a stupid sentiment not once but twice!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
It is pretty damn funny when you think about it.  The DUmmie is bragging about being able to afford an electric car and being able to 'save the planet'.  Then you have squinch running around telling everyone the world is 'literally burning down around us'.  All of this in a thread about having to spend an extra $1,000 over 5 years.

$200 per YEAR
$16.67 per MONTH
$3.85 per WEEK
$0.55 per DAY

So ... our environmental hero's at the DUmp aren't willing to spend an extra $200/year to "SAVE THE PLANET!"  Kind of says a lot about them doesn't it?

:lmao:

KC

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

The Prog-Howls this country needs to hear will be the ones when the Feds and states shut down all direct and indirect subsidies and incentives to buy EV POSes and hybrids. Let the damn things compete with ordinary vehicles on a pure price-utility-life cycle reliability basis, to die or thrive on their merits alone.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

If you actually look at the full life-cycle costs of electric cars - including mining the lithium, turning it into batteries, and then cleanly disposing of or recycling the dead batteries - they're not more 'Eco-friendly' than internal combustion vehicles.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DLR Pyro

Aussie105 (890 posts)

27. Better idea . . .

Make hybrids cheaper to run, just tax fuel more. You morons realize that some sort of carbon based fuel is used to produce much of today's electricity, don't you? Drive the big gas guzzlers off the road, do the world a favour. Ok, then how are you going to pay for the roads if nobody is buying heavily taxed fuel?

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline BamaMoose

That's one of those new generators that runs on unicorn farts.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

If you actually look at the full life-cycle costs of electric cars - including mining the lithium, turning it into batteries, and then cleanly disposing of or recycling the dead batteries - they're not more 'Eco-friendly' than internal combustion vehicles.
Yep. Something tells me their mining practices aren't very environmentally- friendly, and disrupt the habitats of a lot of native species.

Offline SVPete

Probably not many DUpipo would recognize the exhaust pipe in that diesel generator, nor the reason for the hinged cover. My Dad just used a small coffee can for his D4.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:29:43 PM by SVPete »

Offline DUmpDiver

DUmmies LOVE new taxes - unless they're the ones getting taxed.