Author Topic: Sometimes I wonder just how dumb Illinois voters can be  (Read 736 times)

Offline 5412

Sometimes I wonder just how dumb Illinois voters can be
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »
Hi,

The state of Illinois faces a  $13 billion shortfall and they just passed a budget by basically doing nothing.  I sent the following letter to the editor of our local paper.

regards,

Dear Editor,

To quote part of the article titled "Dems cheer approval of new sate budget" on page 3A of today's edition, ".....the spending plan that reaches the governor's desk will be a retread of the current budget; borrowing, undefined spending cuts, unpaid bills and one time maneuvers.  Bottom line is they did not make up the $13 billion shortfall.

Then it goes on to further quote House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie, D-Chicago, "We can borrow the money or take a hike on our responsibility".

When will Illinois voters understand that for years the legislators continue to "kick the can down the road" and never address the core of the state's budget issues?  If these legislators were in private industry they would be fired and might end up in jail for messing with pension funds.

In private industry if revenues do not cover expenses, you cut expenses, plain and simple.  If the budget has a $13 billion shortfall, how about every state employee taking a 5% salary cut and have their salaries frozen until the budget is balanced.  In a state where there is close to 20% unemployment in the private sector, and a whole lot more under-employment (where folks are working in low paying jobs as opposed to their career field just to make ends meet), it simply amazes me why the public allows the legislature year after year to spend money they do not have.

I was going to use the term spend like a drunken sailor but I do not want to offend sailors.  I have had too many of them tell me that drunk or not, when they ran out of money they STOPPED spending.  Come to think of it if the legislature would just tone down to spending like drunken sailors and STOP when they are out of money we would all be better off.

I agree with Barbara Flynn, they should all take a hike.

Offline thundley4

Re: Sometimes I wonder just how dumb Illinois voters can be
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »
Undefined budget cuts = Nothing or they'll target public safety cuts to get the people to back a tax increase.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:01:39 PM »
There's no limit, really, if history is any judge.  Nor do they seem to have any serious problem with runaway corruption.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:04:51 PM »
There's no limit, really, if history is any judge.  Nor do they seem to have any serious problem with runaway corruption.

We can't help it if the northern libs control the state.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
Undefined budget cuts = Nothing or they'll target public safety cuts to get the people to back a tax increase.

As if Illinoisans aren't paying enough in taxes already.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender