Author Topic: Dick Morris right on target once again tonight  (Read 3179 times)

Offline 5412

Dick Morris right on target once again tonight
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:53:01 PM »
Hi,

I chose not to watch the president tonight.  After reading the thread, I could have written my comments before he spoke.  Shortly thereafter I got the following from Dick Morris.  

1.  I think that he is right on.

2.  God, I hope so.

3.  They can talk till hell freezes over about all the meeting they held to come to the decision.  We all know bs when we see it.  The only criteria used in the decision was the political fall out.  Had nothing to do with winning or protecting our soldiers.

regards,

OBAMA CHANNELS BUSH

By DICK MORRIS & EILEEN MCGANN

Published on DickMorris.com on December 1, 2009

Printer-Friendly Version

Tonight we watched Obama address the cadets of West Point and, over their shoulder, the American people.  I kept asking myself: if I were in the audience did I hear anything worth risking my life for?

There is a lot in Afghanistan worth risking one's life for, but Obama sure didn't summon it.

Watching President Obama address the nation, the right probably recognized the incongruity of sending additional troops on a difficult mission and setting, at the same time, a very short timetable for their withdrawal.  The right doubtless wondered why the Taliban won't just wait Obama out and move in after he leaves.

But the political cost of this speech will not come on the right.  Obama will get the support of everyone who won't ever vote for him.  But it is with his base on the left that he will be in trouble.

His volunteers, his backers, his donors have to have watched that speech and asked themselves "why did we win the election?"  Obama sounded just like Bush.  More articulate, perhaps, but substantively precisely the same.

His decision to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan, an odd move for a peace candidate, his failure to close Guantanamo, our continued military presence in Iraq, and his failure to act on liberal priorities like gays in the military and immigration reform, are all sapping his support from those who voted for him.

For those with memories of Vietnam, the task of backing a corrupt regime summons the most unpleasant of comparisons.

Obama looked out of place giving a speech he didn't believe in.  He seemed like he was reading a communiqué.  His focus on pulling out, even as he was going in, reminded one of Bill Clinton defining what the meaning of 'is' is.

This speech will inflame the left and that is the real threat to Obama's base.

Even in the health care debate, the under 30 voters are learning that they are targeted -- just like the elderly -- for special punishment in Obama's health care bill.  When they realize that they must spend $15,000 on average per family for health insurance or face a fine of 2.5% of their income or go to prison, the bill loses its appeal.   And, when they find out how shallow the subsidies are (only after they spend 8% of their paychecks if their household income is $45,000 a year and 12% if it is $65,000), they begin to turn off both the bill and the president for whom they were once so enthusiastic.

Then he is losing popularity on issues that have nothing to do with ideology.  It all begins with unemployment.  While voters still believe by 50-42 (Rasmussen) that Bush is more at fault than Obama for the economy, Bush is not on the ballot.  The high jobless rate nurtures a belief that Obama doesn't really know what he is doing. This discontent need not take the form of ideological opposition to the stimulus package or the deficit spending.  It can merely be a sense that things aren't going right.

And then come the adjectives.  Voters are increasingly complaining that Obama is weak, vacillates, does not keep his promises, spends too much time on other priorities than jobs, and seems egotistical.  

All polls have Obama below 50 and some, like Harris, have him all the way down to 43% in job approval.  These surveys mean that Obama, who won 52% of the vote, is now losing between one in ten and one in five of his voters.

This erosion of support makes the elections of 2010 look more and more like a rerun of 1994.  It is now reasonable to predict -- and I do -- that the GOP will take both houses of Congress.

In the Senate, the Republicans are likely to hold all their vacant seats with the possible exception of New Hampshire.  Incumbent Democrats Dodd (Ct), Specter (Pa), Lincoln (Ark), Reid (Nev), and Bennett (Col) are the low hanging fruit.  Among the open seats, Delaware seems ripe for the Republicans.  Add to these six seats, two more if Rudy Giuliani challenges Kristin Gillibrand in New York and if North Dakota governor Hoeven takes on Dorgan.  Mark Kirk could the ninth pickup in Illinois.  And, in a Republican sweep, you have to respect GOP chances in California and New Jersey.

A deluge swamps all boats.

On Capitol Hill, the Democrats seem to have almost abandoned the message war on health care.  They are hunkering down and focused on keeping their troops in line.  The appeals to party discipline are so strong that one senses that they are prepared to march, in lock-step, over the cliff together.

When one considers where Obama was only a year ago and where he is today, the fall is simply stunning.  That he clings to the staff that helped him take it is amazing.  This has to be the least successful White House since, well, Clinton's 1993-94 crowd.  In fact, its many of the same people!

Go to DickMorris.com to read all of Dick's columns! __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PLEASE FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND TELL THEM THEY CAN GET THESE COLUMNS E-MAILED TO THEM FOR FREE BY SUBSCRIBING AT WWW.DICKMORRIS.COM!

THANK YOU!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:13:11 PM by 5412 »

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
Re: Dick Morris right on target once again tonight
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:57:12 PM »
I got the same email.

Obama looked out of place giving a speech he didn't believe in.  He seemed like he was reading a communiqué. 

That's a pretty good summation of this "speech".

I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »
If the GOP nominated a genuine conservative--or anyone not a screaming leftist--the libs will still line-up to vote for him.

This set of cheap theatrics is for the idiot-indies. He's using American blood to chase 1/3 of the electorate.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
He's wrong on one issue--Kelly Ayotte is leading Paul Hodes in a hypothetical NH Senate matchup.  Che is now trailing almost all hypothetical opponents in 1st CD.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline 5412

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »
He's wrong on one issue--Kelly Ayotte is leading Paul Hodes in a hypothetical NH Senate matchup.  Che is now trailing almost all hypothetical opponents in 1st CD.

Hi,

Sparky, please help us out.  For those of us not from that part of the world, is Kelly the good guy or bad guy?

Thanks,

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:49:26 PM »
Don't forget guys, Dick Morris is "the guy that is almost never right about anything"............

He predicted that Clinton would not lose congress in 1993........

He predicted that Hillary would win the Dem nomination in 2008.........

Then there was that whole "naked in the hotel room" thing with a saddle, a gallon of Cool Whip, and 30 feet of rope.......

Not very high on my list of credible pundits......

doc
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:55:25 PM by TVDOC »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »
...and the toe-sucking.  Do NOT forget the toe-sucking.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »

Included with the saddle and Cool Whip.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:01:15 AM »
This administration does not look like the Clinton years.  It looks more like the Carter administration.

And I think Palin will do very well in the primaries in  2012 and have almost no opposition.   The only guy I thought would be a challenge just self destructed this week.

I do think when push comes to shove after the new year, the democrats are going to have to think.. Do I want to be unemployed in the 0bama economy, or not?  Do I want to give up my perks, or not?   Do I really want to follow Nancy over a cliff, or not?   Even Nancy has to recognize that she likes being speaker, and she likes the service she gets for having that job.  Is her job as speaker worth giving up for Barry 0?
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:07:20 AM »
This administration does not look like the Clinton years.  It looks more like the Carter administration.

And I think Palin will do very well in the primaries in  2012 and have almost no opposition.   The only guy I thought would be a challenge just self destructed this week.

I do think when push comes to shove after the new year, the democrats are going to have to think.. Do I want to be unemployed in the 0bama economy, or not?  Do I want to give up my perks, or not?   Do I really want to follow Nancy over a cliff, or not?   Even Nancy has to recognize that she likes being speaker, and she likes the service she gets for having that job.  Is her job as speaker worth giving up for Barry 0?

The thing is, they're calculating that the changes that they're trying to make--to the health care system, for example--would be so far-reaching and over-the-top, so that the Republicans will have a Hell of a time trying to correct the actions of the Democrats.  What they don't take into account is the resourcefulness of the American people in fixing problems.

If they actually do succeed in foisting this health-care rationing monstrosity upon the American people, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some of them start turning up dead (either before or after they're voted out).  That's how much resentment and anger there is out in Middle America.  I would be more than a tad upset, but I wouldn't be surprised.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
 I would be more than a tad upset, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Upset about what?

That someone might feel passionate enough about the actions of a corrupt politician to accept the consequences of putting a round in their head? 

Wasn't it one of our founders that stated that "the tree of liberty must occasionally be nourished by the blood of tyrants and patriots" (paraphrased)........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline 5412

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 12:34:40 PM »
The thing is, they're calculating that the changes that they're trying to make--to the health care system, for example--would be so far-reaching and over-the-top, so that the Republicans will have a Hell of a time trying to correct the actions of the Democrats.  What they don't take into account is the resourcefulness of the American people in fixing problems.

If they actually do succeed in foisting this health-care rationing monstrosity upon the American people, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some of them start turning up dead (either before or after they're voted out).  That's how much resentment and anger there is out in Middle America.  I would be more than a tad upset, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Hi,

While I am surprised you said anything about violence, you may well be right.  I know a lot of folks that say if the government denies them health care that could save their life, and they are given end of life counseling instead.......they will take one or more of the members of congress who voted in favor of it with them.  At that point, what would they have to lose??

God, I hope and prey it never comes down to that.

regards,

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:58:21 PM »
Hi,

While I am surprised you said anything about violence, you may well be right.  I know a lot of folks that say if the government denies them health care that could save their life, and they are given end of life counseling instead.......they will take one or more of the members of congress who voted in favor of it with them.  At that point, what would they have to lose??

God, I hope and prey it never comes down to that.

regards,

I went ballistic when a social worker told me that they were sending my mom home with a tube stuck down her throat for feeding after she had a stroke. I told her and the VP of the hospital I would own the frigging place if the tube slipped and and it wound up killing her. A tube was placed in her side and she stayed in the hospital another week. God only knows what I would do if I was told to go home and die. So, I am considering gaining residency in another country just in case. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 01:13:06 PM »
I went ballistic when a social worker told me that they were sending my mom home with a tube stuck down her throat for feeding after she had a stroke. I told her and the VP of the hospital I would own the frigging place if the tube slipped and and it wound up killing her. A tube was placed in her side and she stayed in the hospital another week. God only knows what I would do if I was told to go home and die. So, I am considering gaining residency in another country just in case. 

Check out Panama.....we are.....

doc

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 01:13:44 PM »

And the way his mouth moves drives me NUTS.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »
Check out Panama.....we are.....

doc

In the next couple of months, I will check out Panama and Belize. My finances will significally improve by then. Will rent for a month in both places.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:34:11 PM by Lacarnut »

Offline 5412

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
Hi,

We are going to Costa Rica on the Pathfinder tour 12/31-1/3.....and actually decided to come home on the 5th.  If you are interested I will get you the information.

From what I understand international Living is going to have a Living and Investing in Panama conference in April but the dates have not been finalized.  Hoping the dates work out because we want to go check that out also.

In both Costa Rica and Panama good quality health care is affordable and available.

regards,

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 03:57:30 PM »

And I think Palin will do very well in the primaries in  2012 and have almost no opposition.   

I agree,  012 would be a good time for her to strike...after this mess of a presidency...Mickey Mouse could run against him and win.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 10:32:01 PM »
Those of us who remember 1980 might be reminded of the Reagan steamroller.   It was such a shock to the powers that Reagan would win the primaries, but by that time even the press wanted to get rid of Carter.

And I think Carter had the press even more in the bag in 1977 than 0bama did in 2008
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 01:36:07 AM »

I saw him tonight on Greta and I was trying to concentrate on what he was saying...but kept getting distracted trying to figure out how he could get his lips to move in horizontally opposite directions... :confused:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »

I saw him tonight on Greta and I was trying to concentrate on what he was saying...but kept getting distracted trying to figure out how he could get his lips to move in horizontally opposite directions... :confused:

Greta drives me crazy with the lips thingy. I do not like Dick Morris; I think he is trash on several fronts; for someone to turn and profit off their former employer turns me off even if he is on the right side politically.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 03:04:57 PM »
Greta drives me crazy with the lips thingy. I do not like Dick Morris; I think he is trash on several fronts; for someone to turn and profit off their former employer turns me off even if he is on the right side politically.

That has always  bothered me as well........I consider loyalty to be a conservative value, and Dick is the kind of guy I wouldn't want to turn my back on (figuratively).....

doc

Offline bkg

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »

You mean like Gore?
Or anyone in Congress?  :-)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 06:46:21 PM »

While sucking your toes??
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 06:50:42 PM »
You mean like Gore?
Or anyone in Congress?  :-)

My opinion....after a few years of DC life, most politicians/lawyers/aides/lobbyists become contaminated with power and lust for money.