Author Topic: Who's Brewin  (Read 10014 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Who's Brewin
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
I've tried the liquid yeasts and both were very slow to start and then stuck. I ended up re-pitching, which I don't like doing. I prefer the dry.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »
I've tried the liquid yeasts and both were very slow to start and then stuck. I ended up re-pitching, which I don't like doing. I prefer the dry.

I always do a yeast starter to make sure I have the appropriate cell count to pitch. One slap pack and at minimum of one step-up, only if i'm pressed on time. I like to do two feedings (at least when I'm brewing at home....big brewery's require quite a bit more yeast  :-) ) that way it will not stall unless you are way out of pitch temperature. The procedure I use is first day slap the wyeast pack let swell (if using white labs omit first day wait) I then start out with 1.030 wort for the starter. Use 250 mil on the first feed and then put it on the stir plate. If you don't have a stir plate just use a large bottle with a airlock and shake it every time you think about it or walk by it. The next day add 500 ml of 1.030 wort...basically double it everyday. With this method (with a slight amount change) you can pitch 3.5 bbl (108.5 gal) of wort in a week from one wyeast slap pack. With one addition I used to aerate the wort with a mechanical air pump and it had a sub micron filter on it. The pump isn't needed with the volume for home brewing.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »
Well kegged up the latest batch I did three weeks ago and carbonated it. It is a mild pale ale style often referred to as a red ale. It has mild hop flavor and med body. Start gravity was 1.045 has a good session quality to it  :-) Will be brewing again this coming week cause 10 gal wont last Tots and I long...lol. Will most likely be brewing an Amber ale cause I already have everything I need for it. When I get my other converted chest freezer over here Ill start the lagers but with only one fridge I cant tie it up that long. By the by for those of you looking for hops in bulk at a good price they have some on sale at http://www.hopsdirect.com/ I just ordered several variety's of pellet hops. They came fast and packed in nitrogen sealed bags. Used some in this last brew turned out good. So there is another supplier to add to the list  :cheersmate: I post back again when I brew next with some pics.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
Well I haven't updated this thread in a few. I have brewed a few batches since my last post. I will be trying to brew this weekend if time permits. I will be brewing a German ale, no particular style like Kolsch or Alt. I will be doing a golden ale to test out some new hops I have never used before. I have some Vanguard Hops which are a American hop that was a cross between Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and an unknown pollen. It is supposed to be a substitute for the Hallertauer which is hard to get on a regular bases. I have used Mittelfrueh before and I have some at the house now for the next batch to compare. I am going to post some pics and notes on how the brew went.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
Sounds good! The temps here are getting close to "right". I'll be doing a batch in a few weeks.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
Sounds good! The temps here are getting close to "right". I'll be doing a batch in a few weeks.

HEHE i'm a glutton for punishment i'll brew and have in 105...or snow on the ground. The ice makes it dangerous so ill wait for another day...HAHA

edit for sp...damn this happens a lot...lol
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:12:10 PM by biersmythe »

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Well I haven't updated this thread in a few. I have brewed a few batches since my last post. I will be trying to brew this weekend if time permits. I will be brewing a German ale, no particular style like Kolsch or Alt. I will be doing a golden ale to test out some new hops I have never used before. I have some Vanguard Hops which are a American hop that was a cross between Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and an unknown pollen. It is supposed to be a substitute for the Hallertauer which is hard to get on a regular bases. I have used Mittelfrueh before and I have some at the house now for the next batch to compare. I am going to post some pics and notes on how the brew went.

Well been a while since I posted up on this thread. I did the brew and now its all gone... :-) Tots and I drank it. I did document it with some pictures, but without a host account it will be all clickable photos. So without further adieu.

The day started milling grain for the mash. After the mill I mashed in at around 8:00 a.m. and at a temp of 150 deg. Mashed for one hour, during the last 30 min I recirculate in the mash tun with a pump to help clear the wort and aide in mash Saccharification which is the conversion from starches to sugar for fermentation. Most of the conversion is done in the first 12 to 15 min if you do not have dry pockets of grain. That is the purpose of the recirculation. After the mash rest I do a sparge rinse / run-off into the kettle for a 90 min boil. At this point in the batch is when the hops are added to balance the malt sweetness with bitterness (or in some cases over balance  :-) ). After the 90 min is up I use a copper chilling coil connected to city water to rapidly cool the wort. Wort is the name given to the sugar water/ hop liquid before the yeast is added, after the yeast is added it is beer. After the Wort is cooled down it is transferred to a fermenter and yeast is pitched (poured in).  

edit for sp. and pics.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:02:17 PM by biersmythe »

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
I need to get a hosting account...lol

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »
a few more.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
and what all the fuss was about.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:58:43 PM by biersmythe »

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
Looks tasty.

I still need the measurements of that keg so I can get a fridge... :whistling:
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
Looks tasty.

I still need the measurements of that keg so I can get a fridge... :whistling:

ACK!!!! I suck  :thatsright:...lol 27" tall x 9" dia. is probably bare minimum for hoses and being able to get it in and out of the refrigeration contraption.

edit for pic.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:25:55 PM by biersmythe »

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »
ACK!!!! I suck  :thatsright:...lol 27" tall x 9" dia. is probably bare minimum for hoses and being able to get it in and out of the refrigeration contraption.

edit for pic.

No worries. I'll start looking this weekend.  :cheersmate:
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me