Author Topic: maternal ancestress explains New Hampshire to her heir the Bostonian Drunkard  (Read 2596 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2645689

Oh my.

Apparently one of those mother-son talks.

WilliamPitt  (1000+ posts)       Wed Jan-09-08 08:15 PM
Original message

Just remembered something my mom told me about New Hampshire voters.

This is pure, undistilled anecdote here. Nothing more.

My mom lives in Cheshire County, NH, and has spent the last several years doing a lot of grass-roots activism work - canvassing towns, GOTV work, petitioning in the town square, meeting candidate or candidate reps, etc. So her finger is pretty spot-on the NH voting pulse in her county. Cheshire is the most populous NH county, so it's an important one to say the least; win Cheshire, and you probably win the state.

We were talking some months back about the primaries-to-come, and about whatever the recent poll numbers were for candidates in NH. She pretty much dismissed any NH poll data out of hand. "A lot of people around here lie to pollsters as a rule," she said.

Made it sound like a pretty common thing. She explained that they lie because they resent the intrusion; NH voters get fifty billion telephone calls from all the campaigns for two weeks before primary day, and get sick to death of it, so they **** with the pollsters.

1. Anyone else heard of this?

2. If true, makes for a good explanation why the news folks had their numbers and analyses wrong.

My mom is a DUer named Raven, btw. I'll bug here to get on this thread tomorrow. I may, honestly, not be remembering the details of how widespread this phenomenon is.

Bonobo (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-09-08 08:16 PM
Response to Original message

1. Did she say that only Dems lied to pollsters?

And then the resident media critic of Skins's island petulantly chimes in:

Atman  (1000+ posts)       Wed Jan-09-08 09:15 PM
Response to Original message

13. So, none of these news people ever heard of this phenomenon?

They're not really "news" people then, are they?

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Watching the lengths these people will go to maintain their sacred belief that 2000 and 2004 were "stolen" from them should make a psychological textbook.

Hey "reality" based community...... punking exit polls is now a hobby for many....live with it.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Watching the lengths these people will go to maintain their sacred belief that 2000 and 2004 were "stolen" from them should make a psychological textbook.

Hey "reality" based community...... punking exit polls is now a hobby for many....live with it.

What's funny is listening to them turn the evil Diebold conspiracy...once thought ONLY to be perpetuaited by Republicans on Libs...into something they are doing to themselves.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
You know, what I find hilarious is that in the sour grapes of Pedro Picasso, it's obvious he was for Barack Hussein Obama.

This is confusing, because Pedro Picasso believes the Impeached One to have been the greatest president in the history of America.

And so what's wrong with the Impeached One's wife?

This confrims my suspicions of Pedro Picasso as a miscogynist.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:39:01 AM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
^interesting frank. There does seem to be an inexplicable anger re Hillary. This person nails it:

Actually, the anger that many on the left are currently directing at the Clintons post-New Hampshire, and that we on the right are observing with mixed astonishemnt and amusement--is in many ways, quite remarkable. Those of us from the conservative side of things have had a long tradition of dislike of the Clintons--husband and wife. Sometimes this dislike has become so intense and overpowering that it has clouded--or at least impeded rational judgments about either.

So it is particularly surprising to see the people who for years adored the happy couple; sanctified and righteously defended Bill, and beatified Hillary while holding her up as a model for all women, suddenly--and with so very little alteration in the essential behavior that either bill or Hill have displayed for the last 15 years--screaming with outrage at their former pets.

No wonder Hillary cried in public. She has been betrayed by the Democrats and the left in the same casual way her fickle husband has been betraying her throughout their marriage.

What's going on here?

http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2008/01/not-so-inexplicable-anger.html
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle