Author Topic: My conversation at Publix today:  (Read 7062 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Re: My conversation at Publix today:
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »

You and I are paying the same amount either way, so we should be upset with the arrangement as is.  It's like you sending half your money to your mother-in-law each week and then her sending it back to you in the form of specific vouchers so you can buy what she wants you to have.

Oh, I am upset about the way it all works, but  I honestly thought that most of what goes toward the public schools came from our property taxes (75% to be exact), and that was about 95% of what the public schools got. That is why I thought that the DUmmie using schools and teachers as an example of what our federal tax dollars go towards was kind of lame. The same with the rest of her examples.

That's a good analogy of it too, because it would piss me off just as much if my MIL got my money then "gave it back", but with the strings attached of telling me how to spend it  :evillaugh:

And, on a local, property tax "level", my next door neighbors are also having 75% of their property taxes going to the government school system, albeit they don't have any school-aged children.

The "I don't have children so why should I pay for schools?" question is a good one.  There is a good answer, too.  I do not necessarily agree with the answer, but it is true as it applies to our structure of society.

The answer is that educating our children is a benefit to and the responsibility of a civilized society.  Not having children, or not being able to have children, cannot exempt you from your responsibilities.  Our society mandates by law that all our children shall be required to attend school in one fashion or the other from the age of five to seventeen (generally).  We cannot opt our children out of the education requirement set by law.  It is a law for everyone, so everyone shares the cost.

I don't drive, so why should I pay road taxes?  I should pay them because the goods and services I depend on uses those roads whether or not I do so physically and personally, so I expect those roads to be to a certain standard.   It is the same with school taxes.  I expect and benefit from a certain amount of required literacy from my fellow citizens.  I expect and require a certain level of mutual education to be able to interact with my fellow citizens.  I would hate to have to explain to my grocery how many eggs it takes to make two dozen.  I expect him to know already. 

That's the way it is suppose to work.  I know, I know, but it did work well for many years.  I don't look for the system to change anytime soon, so your neighbors are going to have to accept their share of the burden.  :)