Author Topic: Splitting theological hares  (Read 5326 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Splitting theological hares
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »
The God of the Bible seems to be many things.

If you don't believe me just any adherant...and each one will give you a different answer.

It's like the old addage: wherever 4 Jewish rabbis are gathered you shall find 5 opinions and wherever 4 Irish priests are gathered you shall find a 5th.

There are massive--seeming--dichotomies within theology, particularly Christian theology.

How can a tripartite being be both one and the same?

What is the balance between saved by faith but expressing faith through works?

Surely man must accept Christ but Christ is the final arbiter, the "Author and Finisher of Faith."

Can the Will of omnipotence be rejected?

Wherein is the line between freewill and pre-ordination?

I don't wish to infer duality. I reject duality. It place The Adversary on the same plane as The Annoited. The latter pre-existed the former and was complete without the former and will be complete still long after the former has been abolished. Evil is an interruption, not part of the integral whole.

But as we search for those answers we stumble on another, and I belive more nettlesome, dichotomy: Should we search for new answers or should we rely on received tradition?

Certanly there is a degree of dogma, not to be confused with doctrine, that cannot be overlooked. The Hundred Years Wars were violent expressions of dispute over doctrine. The last thousand years of relative peace have been the exultation of the unanimity of the dogma of the Apostolic Creed.

But doctrine refreshes dogma. Illuminates it. Magnifies it. Without this search dogma becomes stagnation and any farmer will tell that you cannot tend your crops or nourish your flock with stagnant, dank waters.

Yet, the search for refined doctrine can also pollute. Novelty can quickly turn to heresy and many times the search for novelty is not born of any value in and of itself but simply because consumers have grown bored with Brand X; even if Brand X could still wash your linens white as snow.

That is one of the enjoyable things about scripture. If nothing else it seems inexhaustable. Even after 3,000-plus years it still suprises and will probably do so another 3,000 years hence. One could say it has layers like an onion but perhaps parfait would be better. Everybody loves parfait and parfait has layers.

And yet, I find myself troubled.

Received tradition tells us Mary of Magdelena was a harlot. Moderns, in the search to write some thesis that will gain them their doctoral degree and/or notoriety and the whorish patronage that comes with it, wail against this tradition. That want us to believe mary was from a well-monied family, which does nothing to dispute the tradition (as if rich women cannot be harlots or harlots cannot be rich) and they always submit such theories not to bolster Mary but to tear down Christ by means of tearing down his Chruch.

On the same token I have read great debates over the meaning of Christmas and the war thereon. Christmas is the received tradition. But what have we received? A pagan recognition of the winter solstice to commemorate the Messiah of a people whose year was revealed to be the keeping of a lunar calendar.

Surely, the story of the Ressurrection can be better told through its corallary of the Passover, than the menses-strewn orgies of Babylonian fertility goddesses. Surely, such studies would satisfy the urge for novelty and offer doctoral theses for generations to come but received tradition says, "that's too Jewish and as such you might fall under 'The Law' so we shall make this prohibition into law because Grace demands we do such."

I do not know.

So I will sit and ponder as I watch other hash it out.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: Splitting theological hares
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:18:34 AM »
Snuggs....I would just like to say that I find your thought processes both incredibly intelligent, confusingly convoluted, and absolutely astounding.

You either never stop thinking and pondering, being very efficient at multitasking...or you have too much time on your hands.  (I know it's not the latter!)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
Snuggs....I would just like to say that I find your thought processes both incredibly intelligent, confusingly convoluted, and absolutely astounding.

You either never stop thinking and pondering, being very efficient at multitasking...or you have too much time on your hands.  (I know it's not the latter!)

I've wondered if he was someone who attended a seminary.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:57 PM »
I've wondered if he was someone who attended a seminary.
I'm not sure if this is a compliment to me or an insult to seminarians.

:cheersmate:

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:26:44 AM »
The God of the Bible seems to be many things.

If you don't believe me just any adherant...and each one will give you a different answer.

It's like the old addage: wherever 4 Jewish rabbis are gathered you shall find 5 opinions and wherever 4 Irish priests are gathered you shall find a 5th.

There are massive--seeming--dichotomies within theology, particularly Christian theology.

How can a tripartite being be both one and the same?

What is the balance between saved by faith but expressing faith through works?

Surely man must accept Christ but Christ is the final arbiter, the "Author and Finisher of Faith."

Can the Will of omnipotence be rejected?

Wherein is the line between freewill and pre-ordination?

Yet, the search for refined doctrine can also pollute. Novelty can quickly turn to heresy and many times the search for novelty is not born of any value in and of itself but simply because consumers have grown bored with Brand X; even if Brand X could still wash your linens white as snow.

That is one of the enjoyable things about scripture. If nothing else it seems inexhaustable. Even after 3,000-plus years it still suprises and will probably do so another 3,000 years hence. One could say it has layers like an onion but perhaps parfait would be better. Everybody loves parfait and parfait has layers.

It seems logical to me, that if the creator of the universe (should one exist) desires for us to know the truth (presumably he values truth and wants to share it with us) that his message would be clear and unambiguous.   But your post does a great job at highlighting just how ambiguous and unclear his alleged revelations really are.

So I've always found the elasticity of the Bible and Christian doctrine to be good evidence against the claim that it is actually divine revelation.

Maybe its elasticity is enjoyable... to have such inexhaustible material with which to build convoluted thought castles can be an endless source of "entertainment" with which to preoccupy one's mind...  but it becomes much deflated for me when I realize the wisdom contained within is probably ambiguous and unclear, not because there is so much hidden wisdom or insight, but because the authors themselves were human beings just like us, weren't all that wise, and weren't all that articulate when it comes right down to it.  While there is some good stuff in there - most of the worlds holy books do have many diamonds in the rough - the mystique is often a mirage that promises you something better if you just dig deeper, but more often then not, there no hidden wellspring of wisdom to be found.  It was just people, and like most other people..... they just arent as fascinating or as smart as they lead you to believe.  

The fascination with the ancients, for me, lies in what they actually got wrong - everything they got right is, for the most part, common knowledge and wholly unremarkable seeming now.  But what they got wrong is so often surprising and unbelievable.  This goes for the pagan philosophers as well as all the authors of the worlds holy books.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:29:15 AM by rubliw »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:48:36 AM »
Do you find the elasticity of science to be proof against materialism?

Does the fact that each discovery (perhaps "uncovery" would be more apt) lead to a dozen new questions make the wisdom contained within seem ambiguous and unclear?

I know I am certainly fascinated by how much of science is up-ended by each passing day.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
Do you find the elasticity of science to be proof against materialism?

On the contrary, I find the utility and explanatory power of science to be great evidence.. not necessarily for materialism... but that we're really on to something with this whole science thing.

Does the fact that each discovery (perhaps "uncovery" would be more apt) lead to a dozen new questions make the wisdom contained within seem ambiguous and unclear?

Sometimes, sometimes not.   But ambiguity and unclarity as one investigates the world isnt much of a problem for the materialist.  The universe has absolutely no interest in communicating to us, any of its truths.   It'd just as soon hand us lupus as it would truths about itself.  

On the other hand, divine personal universe creators are supposed love truth, desire for us to know as much truth as possible, and also posses the power to communicate that truth to us.   So unclear messages are more of a problem here.  

I know I am certainly fascinated by how much of science is up-ended by each passing day.

As am I, much of it is very fascinating.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:09:03 AM by rubliw »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »
You can only lay out a set of facts once. The facts will not change otherwise they would not be facts. It's up to the observer to do the rest.

Yet, science, along with theology, observes phenomenon. Both have competing theories. Both have teachings that stand and serve as foundations for further inquiry while other bodies of learning are displaced by newer inquiries.

Certainly deity would not see its creatures walking in ignorance and walking in error even less so; but it will not force them into minds that are not their own and it wouldn't matter if It did. It was the Israelites newly freed of their bonds that saw the God of liberty and providence at Its full power...and they turned to glittering beasts of burden instead. So apparently even full revelation is of dubious value to those who would reject that which shades them by day and illuminates them by night.

How many astrophysicists will pore over the same data sets and come to quarreling odds over the exact same phenomenon? The error of the one does nothing to diminish the facticity of the other. Moreover, their quarrel can quickly lead to founding separate schools of thought where students accept or reject masters partly on data but partly on the personal attributes of the principals. Hardly empirical but it is the on-going story of science. Some who would call themselves scientist are really Elmer Gantry. They promise healings. They prophecy diversion from calamity and yet they are little more than frauds. The study linking innoculations to autism comes to mind.

And yet the facts are the facts despite honest error or flagrant chicanery.

Now imagine if there was a God. Wouldn't that God want Its creatures to have perfect knowledge of the universe around them?

Probably so.

But how many parents want to birth a child and see him graduate with his doctoral degree the next day? They aren't sadists who delight in seeing the toddler stumble they are parents who smile because they share the joy of the child as he steadies himself for the first time or sends the first whistling pitch into the glove so hard it stings the father's hand.

If eternity was ours for the asking, what would be the rush?

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
Certainly deity would not see its creatures walking in ignorance and walking in error even less so; but it will not force them into minds that are not their own and it wouldn't matter if It did. It was the Israelites newly freed of their bonds that saw the God of liberty and providence at Its full power...and they turned to glittering beasts of burden instead. So apparently even full revelation is of dubious value to those who would reject that which shades them by day and illuminates them by night.

Well, I can't presume that they ever had genuine revelation from a divine being.  Maybe if they had, they would have followed it?  

But how many parents want to birth a child and see him graduate with his doctoral degree the next day? They aren't sadists who delight in seeing the toddler stumble they are parents who smile because they share the joy of the child as he steadies himself for the first time or sends the first whistling pitch into the glove so hard it stings the father's hand.

Well, that's one way a theist can try to salvage the claim of divine authorship and/or inspiration of the Bible in light of its ambiguity and unclarity.   But the ambiguity and unclarity still stand as good evidences against, and, speaking for myself, I am not particularly convinced by that sort of response.

Its a response that can be very emotionally appealing, on the surface... but the warm fuzzies fade quickly when I reflect upon the unimaginable amount and degree of horrific suffering which has occurred in the world (and continues to occur) that is caused by human ignorance.  Often that horrific suffering is caused by ignorance and disagreement over what is the proper interpretation of alleged divine revelation.  The ambiguity and unclarity of holy books has literally caused people to die in manners as (or more) horrific than Christ himself was alleged to die.   So while analogies of kids learning to play baseball do tug on the heart strings a bit, I don't think they map to the real world very well.   If I were a father, had the power to impart truth to my children in a way that was clear and unambiguous, and by so doing I would prevent them from experiencing unimaginable suffering, I would do so without hesitation.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:00:37 PM by rubliw »

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
God does make Himself quite clear to those that listen.  And His message doesn't change with the next "big" discovery the way science "skates around on ice."  Things that seem unclear are due more to the difficulties humans have with their own languages than anything else.  For example, look how clearly and carefully the Constitution was written, but due to language shifts, we've now turned some of the Amendments completely upside down.  

Even using "dead" languages can't erase all the misunderstandings, or eliminate the effects of deliberate ignorance and the master of this world.  Those that work at it can definitely misunderstand even the clearest verses.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
Well, I can't presume that they ever had genuine revelation from a divine being.  Maybe if they had, they would have followed it?  
Nonsense.

As I noted before: science makes the exact same errors.

All facts for all natural phenomenon are laid before us, here and now. It is not a matter developing better instruments, the universe is what it is and its laws are not changing.

Scientists, on the other hand, are riven with error, miscalculation or even fraud and vice and odds are whatever great discovery is announced next Tuesday will be displaced next decade and that in turn will be a punchline for scientists in the centuries to follow.

Yet, the universe will have remained constant while the ignorance and petty jealousies of its would-be observers rage in a tempest.

If man is so easily prone to error in something so non-threatening as a static, mindless universe why is there a higher demand for uniformity with regards to a Being that challenges (threatens) one's very soul?

And why do you keep calling out the mote in the theologian's eye while ignoring the beam in the scientist's eye?

You know, they say bias is a corrupting influence in the sciences.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »
Nonsense.

As I noted before: science makes the exact same errors.

All facts for all natural phenomenon are laid before us, here and now. It is not a matter developing better instruments, the universe is what it is and its laws are not changing.

Scientists, on the other hand, are riven with error, miscalculation or even fraud and vice and odds are whatever great discovery is announced next Tuesday will be displaced next decade and that in turn will be a punchline for scientists in the centuries to follow.

Yet, the universe will have remained constant while the ignorance and petty jealousies of its would-be observers rage in a tempest.

If man is so easily prone to error in something so non-threatening as a static, mindless universe why is there a higher demand for uniformity with regards to a Being that challenges (threatens) one's very soul?

And why do you keep calling out the mote in the theologian's eye while ignoring the beam in the scientist's eye?

You know, they say bias is a corrupting influence in the sciences.

I fully agree with you that science is often wrong and inaccurate, even though its one of our most rigorous forms of investigation and learning.  I disagree with the next move, which is to say something like ,"Well, if science is so rigorous yet filled with disagreement and misunderstanding, how could we expect something like the Bible, which is really a piece of literature after all, to be any better"?

Well, I think we should expect it to be better because it is allegedly divine revelation from a being who loves and values truth, and wants us to know and understand that truth as best as we possibly can.  He's supposed to be all powerful to boot, so even if humans have trouble communicating clear, unambiguous beliefs to one another, it doesn't seem like a divine being should have similar issues.  

On the other hand, if the universe is mindless then it does not and cannot value truth.   What gets maintained in the nature of any creatures who find themselves in such a universe, is what is beneficial for survival and reproduction, not necessarily what is true (although, there is probably significant overlap there).   So in such a world science is confused, theology is certainly confused (and by definition, untrue).   In such a world, we would expect messages alleged to be of divine origin, to be subject to all the same failings as any other form of human communication, because that's all they would be - human communication.   And I think that's what this world looks like.

To sum it all up:

At the very least, we have good reason to suspect that divine revelation from an all-powerful truth valuing being, would be superior in clarity and ambiguity when compared with human communication.    And in a mindless universe, divine revelation would be false and imagined by human beings.. so we have a good reason to believe that it would be as ambiguous and unclear as the rest of human communication.   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:43:57 AM by rubliw »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 04:15:56 PM »
I fully agree with you that science is often wrong and inaccurate, even though its one of our most rigorous forms of investigation and learning.  I disagree with the next move, which is to say something like ,"Well, if science is so rigorous yet filled with disagreement and misunderstanding, how could we expect something like the Bible, which is really a piece of literature after all, to be any better"?

Well, I think we should expect it to be better because it is allegedly divine revelation from a being who loves and values truth, and wants us to know and understand that truth as best as we possibly can.  He's supposed to be all powerful to boot, so even if humans have trouble communicating clear, unambiguous beliefs to one another, it doesn't seem like a divine being should have similar issues.

See. You switched terms between the two paragraphs.

In your first paragraph you (correctly) note that the observer is flawed despite the flawlessness of the phenomenon observed.

In your second paragraph you claim the phenomenon being observed (Deity and its revelation) is flawed but it is the observer who seems to be incapable of error he's merely received bad copy.

The sky is blue. Whether or not it is so because the gods painted the ceiling of the world that color or because electromagnetic waves passing through the gasses of the atmosphere refract fall to either truth or falsehood but at no point was there ever a miscommunication that the sky appears blue to a healthy human eye.

And this appeal to omnipotence is silly. By asking, "Why doesn't God just make perfect humans?" you get the answer, "supposedly he once did."

If you then ask, "Well then why not make humans who are incapable of falling from grace" the retort is forced to become, "Why not ask Him to make 4-side triangles?" (HINT: they would no longer be triangles) or "Why bother asking a woman to marry you when you can take her by exertion of desire and will?"

This whole, "it's God's fault we're so screwed-up" smacks of the same "t'was the woman that you gave me that did cause me to eat of the fruit of the tree".

At least in that regard observed phenomenon have led to a theorem that seems to hold predictive ability.

Now, at the expense of seeming rude, this conversation has nothing to do the OP and the fact of the matter is: this is your stock in trade. The same debate is repeated in every thread you join in this forum. Your desire to not believe or hold open for consideration or even to simply enjoy the conversation is duly noted. In this your skills are impeccable.

But I was asking for opinions on a wholly different subject matter and I was soliticiting opinions from the various doctrinal schools represented by the forums membership. I want to see how different schools see the topic at hand. I am not one of them so I am dependent upon their voices for instruction. The same romantic's eye that drives some to telescopes drives me to these sorts of conversations and you're dulling the thrill.

I will have plenty of other mundane topics such as, "What was Jesus scrawling in the sand when the adulteress was brought to him" and you will once again have your opportunity to somehow convolute the discussion into why you think religion is so evil, man is so pristine and even if there was a God it's probably his fault anyway.

So be a good fellow, will you?

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 01:11:37 AM »
Now, at the expense of seeming rude, this conversation has nothing to do the OP and the fact of the matter is: this is your stock in trade. The same debate is repeated in every thread you join in this forum. Your desire to not believe or hold open for consideration or even to simply enjoy the conversation is duly noted. In this your skills are impeccable.

But I was asking for opinions on a wholly different subject matter and I was soliticiting opinions from the various doctrinal schools represented by the forums membership. I want to see how different schools see the topic at hand. I am not one of them so I am dependent upon their voices for instruction. The same romantic's eye that drives some to telescopes drives me to these sorts of conversations and you're dulling the thrill.

I will have plenty of other mundane topics such as, "What was Jesus scrawling in the sand when the adulteress was brought to him" and you will once again have your opportunity to somehow convolute the discussion into why you think religion is so evil, man is so pristine and even if there was a God it's probably his fault anyway.

So be a good fellow, will you?

Seriously, I was enjoying the exchange, I'm not sure why you think I'm not.   We don't agree on a lot, but its interesting to hear how those with other points of view respond to my own (and I would think vice versa).  And you are (and this is not to offend) an odd stripe for an atheist, so there is some interest on my part to see what you make of what I say - I know what most other atheists will say already.

And I would feel somewhat badly if I seemed to be de-railing otherwise productive discussions... but it doesnt seem the believers have all that much to add.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:14:12 AM by rubliw »