Author Topic: What gives a person faith in God?  (Read 17901 times)

Offline rubliw

• Banned
Re: What gives a person faith in God?
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 06:52:49 PM »
Are you the best you, you can be or are you the best you, you want to be?

I'm pretty sure its impossible for me to be better than I am in the present moment (or for anyone to be better than they are in the present moment).  I'm sure most of us have ideals, skills, character, etc that we hope to build or improve upon as time goes by - and at the future moments when we achieve (or fail to achieve) some of those goals, it will still be impossible for us to be better than we are in those moments.... if that makes any sense.

Offline Varokhâr

• Tea Party hearty, dude!
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »
I agree that the burden of proof would be upon those who claim, full stop, that the existence of so much evil absolutely disproves the existence of God.  A claim like that sets the bar extremely high.   But it isn't my position. 

My position has been that there are instances of evil which do not seem to be necessary for any greater good, so they probably aren't, and count as evidence against the existence of the theist God.   And more than that, its my position that the sheer abundance of it tips the scales in favor of the belief that God does not exist.  The bar is much lower here and the stakes are a little different.  The argument, if successful, requires one to accept that the existence of God is less likely than the non-existence of God, but not the conclusion that God is impossible.

I see what you mean, but the bolded excerpt is what I have, and once had, trouble with.

The assumption that whatever evils exist in the world, or a select few of them, are probably not necessary is, well, just that - an assumption, and too much of one, for me. Again, we simply don't know and can't be sure that X observable evil is necessary or not, or a part of a given god's plan or not, or what have you. The position many atheists take when they say that evil disproves God is just based on too many narrow assumptions to seem anything more than just plain silly. It's the padded nursery problem, again.

Now, to say that it renders God less likely to exist - that's certainly more reasonable, but either way is based too much on what I cannot fail to see as a very blind and narrow assumption, if you understand.

What is necessary for this world to function isn't really the crux of the problem.   An all-powerful being has the power to create any possible world.  So its not a matter of asking whether natural evil is necessary for THIS world..  its about asking whether an omnipotent God could have created a world which both accomplished His divine goals, AND contained less (or perhaps even no) natural evil - because If he could have, he would have.   

Think about the burden this places on the theist... out of any possible universe imaginable, the theist is committed to the belief that THIS one, a universe with such a seemingly over-abundance of natural (and moral) evil, is the best possible world that God could have instantiated in order to accomplish his goals.  The bar for that claim is extremely high - almost as high as the bar for the claim that God is incompatible with any evil, full stop.  Raising a few potential possibilities (soul building, etc) isnt enough for me.  I need strong reasons to actually believe them and to actually believe that gratuitous looking evils in this world are not as they appear to be.

I used to hold that exact same argument, and stated it many times. And yes, it is puzzling as to why God would permit things to go on as they have, seeing as in all likelihood the universe could be much "better" than what it is.

There are two problems I have with this. First, it goes back to the assumption that God hasn't done anything to lessen the amount and severity of evil in the world. I touched on that before, so you know what I mean.

The second is that perhaps God isn't able to make the world into a paradise/padded nursery, that such an invention would somehow be unable to function. Possibly, God might not be able to create such a thing, for any number of reasons. I suppose we could refer to the question "could God make a rock so big even He couldn't lift it?".

The quote I pasted was meant to address something else.   Theists often claim to know all sorts of things about God, His values, His intentions for us and the world.  However, they they also tend to claim that He is mysterious and unknowable when certain arguments come up, like the problem of evil.   So that seems like a double standard to me. 

Also, when one starts relying on the mysterious God defenses, things get difficult for theism really quickly.  The ability to say much of anything conclusive about God and his purposes, good or bad, is severely undermined.  Many philosophers even argue that mysterious God defenses ultimately lead to the complete destruction of moral reasoning!

The "mysterious God defense" might lead to the destruction of moral reasoning, only if it were applied in such a way as to quash all attempts at pondering God to begin with, I'd think. Otherwise, allowing for a mind and intellect that is highly complex and in all likelihood extremely difficult and maybe even impossible for us humans to fully understand allows in turn for explanations and/or possible explanations of many things, such as evil. That the mind of God might indeed be unknowable certainly doesn't stop anyone from pondering why He has done X or allowed Y and so forth.

I don't think it would lead to a double standard at all, so long as one does not claim to know absolutely the mind of God, or on the other hand claim to know there is no God whatsoever. It is just allowing for the very real possibility that we humans do not know everything there is about the cosmos.

One could also speculate that God has indeed revealed things about Himself, especially if one subscribes to a particular religion, or even if one merely believes that God has used many or even all world religions in order to communicate/try to communicate (given human imperfections and so forth) truths about Himself and/or morality, etc.

Look, its not about stomping my feet and woefully wailing about the state of the world.  I love my life, and I think it rather amazing, to be honest.  I'm thankful to be in this world. It just looks like a godless one to me.

My apologies if you thought I was stating that about you; it was intended to be about how I view atheist claims in general. The fact that most atheists seem to come from a generally Left-leaning stance is one I find interesting and possibly telling about how they view such spiritual matters as these.

Deist. Libertarian. Patriot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure its impossible for me to be better than I am in the present moment (or for anyone to be better than they are in the present moment).  I'm sure most of us have ideals, skills, character, etc that we hope to build or improve upon as time goes by - and at the future moments when we achieve (or fail to achieve) some of those goals, it will still be impossible for us to be better than we are in those moments.... if that makes any sense.
You never once, in your entire cognizant life, ever looked back and said, "That was bad/stupid and I knew better."
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
You never once, in your entire cognizant life, ever looked back and said, "That was bad/stupid and I knew better."

Oh, no I say that all the time :)

But imagine that we could rewind time to that particular moment where I made the mistake and the state of the universe was *exactly* as it was during the original moment, including my knowledge and state of mind.... could I have done better or chosen otherwise?   I don't really believe so.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »
Oh, no I say that all the time :)

But imagine that we could rewind time to that particular moment where I made the mistake and the state of the universe was *exactly* as it was during the original moment, including my knowledge and state of mind.... could I have done better or chosen otherwise?   I don't really believe so.

Wow! No wonder you're an atheist! You're a god yourself!
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »

I'm not sure where that came from  :???:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »

I'm not sure where that came from  :???:

Probably from right here....

I'm pretty sure its impossible for me to be better than I am in the present moment (or for anyone to be better than they are in the present moment

Personally, I am frequently asking/praying God to help me to be a better person than I am. Now and in the future.
And I am frequently asking for forgiveness for not being a better person.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »
I'm not sure where that came from  :???:

I've been alive a long time. I've read the greatest Western (and many Eastern) philosophers. I've never met or read ANYONE who can say this:

I'm pretty sure its impossible for me to be better than I am in the present moment

I think I understand your athesim now. You don't have a need for a greater power. You're it.

That's all I meant.

On edit:

The entire basis of my faith in God is that I'm a broken, flawed individual. Because of Original Sin, all of us are. I don't want to get into a debate with my fellow Christians with the whole grace/good works issue, but bottom line, it is my faith in a higher power that drives me to believe I can do better.

If I believed for a second that I was the epitome of what I could be, I wouldn't have need for faith, either. There may come a time, however, when you have a different experience which leads to an epiphany. It's happened to some pretty big guns out there. St. Paul. St. Augustine.  St. Francis of Assisi.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:28:39 PM by Splashdown »
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
I follow Calvin's reformed theology which says that faith is part of the gift of grace. It is the first sign of the new birth and regeneration. It short God gives you faith.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
I've been alive a long time. I've read the greatest Western (and many Eastern) philosophers. I've never met or read ANYONE who can say this:

I think I understand your athesim now. You don't have a need for a greater power. You're it.

On the contrary it betrays absolute impotence because he has no choice in anything, he will always be exactly what he must be and nothing else. He can neither elevate or debase himself. He is only a machine processing the stimuli of its environment.

Offline waterwilson

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »
If god existed and actually cared about us, why would he give children cancer and let millions of us starve to death, among limitless other evils in this world?

To me, god is either A: incompetent, B: is an asshole, or C: just doesn't really give a shit about us, or D: doesn't exist.

Sure, you can make up excuses for this megalomanical tyrant's behavior. But I refuse to follow or pray to some jackass who allows his creations to suffer so much. **** him. And if I burn in hell for it, so be it.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
If god existed and actually cared about us, why would he give children cancer and let millions of us starve to death, among limitless other evils in this world?

To me, god is either A: incompetent, B: is an asshole, or C: just doesn't really give a shit about us, or D: doesn't exist.

Sure, you can make up excuses for this megalomanical tyrant's behavior. But I refuse to follow or pray to some jackass who allows his creations to suffer so much. **** him. And if I burn in hell for it, so be it.

In THIS particular forum, it would be my suggestion that you read and abide by the rules.  No one is particularly interested in your beef with religion.  If you would care to contribute to the discussion in a manner which is on-topic......feel free to do so.  Otherwise, you are further free to start a topic describing your atheism in an appropriate area.

You have been warned......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2011, 10:20:07 PM »
On the contrary it betrays absolute impotence because he has no choice in anything, he will always be exactly what he must be and nothing else. He can neither elevate or debase himself.

Well, I do think its true that we are exactly what we must be, that is exactly what i was trying to say.  Our choices are the products of sensory data fed into our biological machinery, and are completely immersed in the stream of causality.   We cannot transcend any of that to be something better than what we are (the products of causality).   However, we obviously do continually change and evolve as our machinery grows and changes, and as it interacts with new data.

So, yea - I'm a determinist.  The alternative - what most people call free will - I believe, is equivalent to "random will", and quite frankly, leaves one no better off in the "impotence" department.  If your choices are not caused by sensory data interacting with the nature of a sentient being, they are random.  

He is only a machine processing the stimuli of its environment.

Only!?  I say remarkably! Remarkably, you, me, and everyone else are machines that process the stimuli of their environments!  I think its absolutely astounding that we are thinking, breathing, living beings made of atoms and molecules.... atoms and molecules (forged from the explosions of stars no less) that somehow managed to gain self-awareness... self-awareness which allows those atoms and molecules to observe their voyage down the causal river..  totally amazing.

I think its rather twisted to believe (as so many do) that living things can only be remarkable if they are mere tools... meat-suits piloted by ethereal specters from another dimension.  Try as I might, I can't get why that is supposed to be so great, while atoms and cells and molecules are supposed to be so mundane.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:53:20 PM by rubliw »

Offline owen doidson

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »

Post deleted by moderator due to language not in keeping with forum rules.

Member has been banned......

doc
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:11:35 AM by TVDOC »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
I think its rather twisted to believe (as so many do) that living things can only be remarkable if they are mere tools... meat-suits piloted by ethereal specters from another dimension.  Try as I might, I can't get why that is supposed to be so great, while atoms and cells and molecules are supposed to be so mundane.
First of all, plenty of theists have studied cells and molecules in rapt fascination and any cursory study of the history of science demonstrates this to be true.

One would think that anyone claiming to be a materialist based solely on matters of facts would refrain from such shallow indictments.

Secondly, absent ethereal specters your meat-suit is piloted by sub-atomic dominoes tumbling in whatever direction the preceding domino fell.

Excuse me? Who the **** do you think you are...

I'm not a christian so I have no dictator god.

You were asked to not hijack the thread and were invited--INVITED--to start your own thread where you could have whatever temper tantrum you feel is necessary to rail against the immorality of immorality. Yes, it came with an enforcement clause but that is because you appear incapable of even a cursory discussion without first needing to resort to insults and profanity.

If you walk in seeking to insult people don't act the victim when people become insulted.

In sort, stop being a mewling little pusstard puddle of whore dribblings.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2011, 02:03:29 AM »
Excuse me? Who the **** do you think you are you cocksucking little bitch? You don't get to warn me, asshole. Let's look at these "rules" for a bit, that I'm sure Hitler would approve of.

Typical Christians. "My religion is better than yours!", "Oh, but we're good people!", "We're good Americans"!

**** you, and **** your dictator of a god. I hope you and the Muslims all kill each other. I moved to Asia, so I don't care. You all pretend to be good people, but you're a bunch of hypocritical assholes who think they're better than everyone else.

By the way. I was perfectly on topic. You just don't like that I pretty much disproved a benevolent god in less than a paragraph. So, which is it? Are you for free speech, or not? You can't claim to be good, freedom loving Americans, but ban and ridicule people who say things you don't like, all while lying and telling me you approve of "different opinions".

Ban me, you useless, hypocritical ****. Again.

You are just dumber than a bag of hair. Do you know that? Sure you do!

But you're special, and that's what counts!   :lol:

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:27 AM »
First of all, plenty of theists have studied cells and molecules in rapt fascination and any cursory study of the history of science demonstrates this to be true.

True - but then again, a cursory study of apologetic literature will reveal there are also many who believe that the only thing left is absurdity and despair should there be nothing that transcends the material.  But my comment was more generally posed to the set of all people who believe that sort of thing, not all theists.  And that set of people even includes a few atheists (like yourself, maybe?).

Secondly, absent ethereal specters your meat-suit is piloted by sub-atomic dominoes tumbling in whatever direction the preceding domino fell.

And ethereal specters will get you what?  A will?  I don't think so.  Whether its a soul or a material mind, you can only play either one of two games:  dominoes.... or roulette.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »
And ethereal specters will get you what?  A will?  I don't think so.  Whether its a soul or a material mind, you can only play either one of two games:  dominoes.... or roulette.
You mention will then you discount it's existence.

Why?

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2011, 12:55:17 PM »

Yikes!

I feel so sorry for you.

That's a lot of hate and anxiety right there. Let it go.
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline rubliw

• Banned
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
You mention will then you discount it's existence.

Why?

Most people believe and speak of will in the contra-causal sense.  They believe the choices they make could be otherwise and are in some way disconnected from the causality of this universe.  Since most people believe in this concept of will, does it mean it is coherent?  Not really, in my estimation.   One can utter sentences about square circles (and I can even utter sentences back ) but the notion would still be incoherent.  Even if most people in the world spoke of, assumed, and acted as if square circles existed, that would still be true.

For some reason most people seem to look upon the mechanizations of deterministic will (called compatibalism) to be dehumanizing and even offensive.  But I disagree.  I think contra-causal will reduces to pure randomness... hardly something that's more comforting for the integrity of one's choices than causality.  At least with causality one has a chance of modifying undesirable future choices with engineered causal factors like social pressure or law.  If your choices are random, then these things can have no effect what-so-ever on them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:03:10 PM by rubliw »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »
Faith just means "belief". People believe what they want.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.