Author Topic: Climate Change Killed Dinosaurs, Scientist Says  (Read 3261 times)

Offline thundley4

Climate Change Killed Dinosaurs, Scientist Says
« on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:08 PM »
(March 28) -- Was it long-term climate change, rather than a rogue asteroid, that killed off the dinosaurs?

That's the conclusion of German paleontologist Michael Prauss, who studied 65-million-year-old fossils drilled out of the earth in the Brazos River area of Texas and argues that radical changes to the flora and fauna of the era began long before arrival of the massive space rock widely associated with one of the largest mass extinctions in the history of the planet.

That impact, at what is now Chicxulub, Mexico, in the past 30 years has become the primary suspect in the death of the dinosaurs. And it was the subject of an article in the journal Science earlier this month in which 41 scientists from around the world argued that a wealth of global data show the extinctions began at the same time that the asteroid's crash sent debris across the atmosphere and blocked out the sun for years.
Link

Either this is evidence against AGW or man did live when the dinosaurs did.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Climate Change Killed Dinosaurs, Scientist Says
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure that man lived amongst the dinosaurs. What my theory might be is that the asteroid impact created an ice age OR the massive volcanic eruption that took out Atlantis created the ice age. Man, being more adaptable at survival, made it through those harsh times, whereas other critters didn't.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »

If only they had better CAFE regulations.

Although it should be noted fossil fuels hadn't been developed yet.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:53:46 PM »

If only they had better CAFE regulations.

Although it should be noted fossil fuels hadn't been developed yet.

But that's only because there weren't any fossils yet.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 05:36:43 PM »
Dinosaurs drove SUVs?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Woodhick

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »
Was it long-term climate change, rather than a rogue asteroid, that killed off the dinosaurs?
I'm no rocket scientist by any stretch , but it would seem to me a cosmic collision with the planet would surely cause climate change and for how long it lasted is anyones guess.
GUN CONTROL is Hitting Your Mark The First Shot !!!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
I'm no rocket scientist by any stretch , but it would seem to me a cosmic collision with the planet would surely cause climate change and for how long it lasted is anyones guess.

Even without a collision, there were many more active volcanoes in the distant past. The accumulation of ash and other gases in the atmosphere would have had more effect than what humans have now.

I seem to recall that even Mt. St. Helens had some effect on world weather when it blew.

Offline Woodhick

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »
Even without a collision, there were many more active volcanoes in the distant past. The accumulation of ash and other gases in the atmosphere would have had more effect than what humans have now.

I seem to recall that even Mt. St. Helens had some effect on world weather when it blew.
My memory is about as long as my  :censored:
I seem to recall the science channel or another had a show about when the lest time the Yellowstone area blew. That could have been the cause of many liveing things being eliminated.
GUN CONTROL is Hitting Your Mark The First Shot !!!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »
My memory is about as long as my  :censored:
I seem to recall the science channel or another had a show about when the lest time the Yellowstone area blew. That could have been the cause of many liveing things being eliminated.

Not only is Yellowstone a huge volcanic area, it's also one of the largest faults.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
Dinosaurs drove SUVs?

Yep--and they mocked "Erf Hour" last night, too.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 06:56:10 AM »