Author Topic: RED ALERT: FX Dislocation In Process  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
RED ALERT: FX Dislocation In Process
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2187216/posts

8:17 CT

I do not know what is going on here, and I don't think I want to.

Someone, apparently someone in Asia, wants dollars. A LOT of dollars. There is a forced-liquidation event underway that is massive, it is against all asset classes and it is spreading.

It originated at approximately 7:15 CT this evening and originated out of Asia somewhere. All of the primary currency crosses got hit at once - Euro, Pound, Yen - all weakened dramatically against the dollar and it is still going on. The Asian stock markets got walloped at the same time in coordinated waves of forced selling.

At the same time the US futures markets got nailed as well, down some six handles on the /ES in a near-vertical drop. While this sounds "not that big" to move these markets in a coordinated fashion like this is a trillion-dollar enterprise - this is not some small company that went bankrupt, or even a large company.

There is no news coverage at the present time identifying the source of this but it is not small and contrary to some reports it is not "automatic selling"; this is forced liquidation.

Folks, if this translates into Eastern Europe where there are severe instabilities already brewing literally everything in the financial world could come apart "all at once."

The worse news is that if this happens Bernanke will have killed us (in the US) by extending those swap lines all over the planet during the last six months. These will become utterly uncollectable and they are massive, in the many hundreds of billions of dollars.

To those who are reading this, I hope if you're in the markets you are prepared for extreme levels of violence. You must expect that the authorities will try to arrest the destruction if they are able, but you must also be prepared for the possibility that we have reached a "critical mass" point beyond which "duck and cover" is the only winning strategy.

Unfortunately.

I hope I'm wrong; this is going to be a long night.

I don't know what this all means, but I got a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read it.

I hope you don't mind the cross-post from FR, but that seemed to be the most direct.

Can anyone interpret this for us non-superduper-financer types?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: RED ALERT: FX Dislocation In Process
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »
Just a hunch.  But it would appear that it's tied into the fact that Japan's economic report today that their economy contracted at a 12.7% annual rate...the largest since the 70's has put the markets into a panic.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/world-markets-fall-japans-recession-deepens/
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
Just a hunch.  But it would appear that it's tied into the fact that Japan's economic report today that their economy contracted at a 12.7% annual rate...the largest since the 70's has put the markets into a panic.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/world-markets-fall-japans-recession-deepens/

So, naturally the new fuhrer's handlers suggest the same path.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 12:43:59 AM »
To be honest, I believe I remember reading something in the past that was very, very similar.  It was either a scam set-up or scene-setting for a fictional scenario, I forget which, of course this has a couple of up-to-date references in it.  Political boards are terrible places to get financial information, though, I'd check some sources that actually had a direct financial focus before taking FR, CC, DU, or any other non-financial board postings to heart.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:08:54 AM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:08:38 AM »
Never fear! The Rontards are all over this and will get to the bottom of it.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:29:33 AM »
To be honest, I believe I remember reading something something in the past that was very, very similar.  It was either a scam set-up or scene-setting for a fictional scenario, I forget which, of course this has a couple of up-to-date references in it.  Political boards are terrible places to get financial information, though, I'd check some sources that actually had a direct financial focus before taking FR, CC, DU, or any other non-financial board postings to heart.

Just wanted to know what all 'all was thnking -- my gut has been wrong in the past.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 05:03:28 AM »
My wife, though she's often wrong about where these things are going, watches these things like a hawk.  We're watching CNBC's Squawk Box right now.  The Dow futures are off over 100, the euro is down but only a bit, NASDAQ futures are down . . . My advice is this--Invest in "precious metals"--lead, copper, and brass.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:15:59 AM »
My wife, though she's often wrong about where these things are going, watches these things like a hawk.  We're watching CNBC's Squawk Box right now.  The Dow futures are off over 100, the euro is down but only a bit, NASDAQ futures are down . . . My advice is this--Invest in "precious metals"--lead, copper, and brass.

Sadly, unlike guns themselves, ammo degrades over time, no matter how carefully you care for it.  Killing ammo would ultimately screw us no matter what was stockpiled, though it would take several decades for ammo to degrade beyond usefulness.  Thing about Dow futures, just from my sense of watching stats on the morning news over the last couple of years, is that it seems to contraindicate the next day's activity as oftern as it actually indicates it.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 07:00:43 AM »
Sadly, unlike guns themselves, ammo degrades over time, no matter how carefully you care for it.  Killing ammo would ultimately screw us no matter what was stockpiled, though it would take several decades for ammo to degrade beyond usefulness.  Thing about Dow futures, just from my sense of watching stats on the morning news over the last couple of years, is that it seems to contraindicate the next day's activity as oftern as it actually indicates it.

The bolded, my friend, is the operative statement there (first half of post).  I just looked at Bloomberg's site, and the lead article is about global stocks dropping, led by banks.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:20:34 AM »
DAT, there's WWII ammo out there and it still functions properly......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:55:58 AM »
DAT, there's WWII ammo out there and it still functions properly......

My mileage with it has 'varied.'  For actual serious situations, I find it has an unacceptable failure rate, even though most of it will still go off.  I do have some more modern battle packs that should last longer than I will, though.   

Offline djones520

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
Not sure if it's related, but the DJIA is down more then 200 points already today.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:03:47 AM »
Not sure if it's related, but the DJIA is down more then 200 points already today.

DJIA down 245
NAS down 51
S&P down 30

Yay for the effects of the stimupork being signed today.