Author Topic: Will American war crimes be revealed? (Salon)  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Will American war crimes be revealed? (Salon)
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3002300

kpete  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 11:14 AM
Original message
Will American war crimes be revealed? (Salon)   Updated at 2:48 PM

Advertisements [?]
Will American war crimes be revealed?
Like Vietnam vets did decades ago, a group of soldiers are poised to speak out about atrocities they say the U.S. committed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

By Mark Benjamin

March 13, 2008 | "It has often been remarked but seldom remembered that war itself is a crime. Yet a war crime is more and other than war ... It is an act beyond the pale of acceptable actions even in war. Deliberate killing or torturing of prisoners of war is a war crime. Deliberate destruction without military purpose of civilian communities is a war crime."

-- Former infantry platoon leader William Crandell opening the "Winter Soldier Investigation" in Detroit, Jan. 31, 1971

More than 100 veterans gathered in a Detroit hotel in early 1971 to talk about things they had seen and done in the Vietnam War. Called the Winter Soldier Investigation, the group spoke about a horrifying array of allegations: convoys driving over civilians; burning of villages; bodies thrown out of helicopters; torture, mutilation and infamous "free-fire zones," where anyone not wearing a U.S. uniform could be killed.

Thirty-seven years later, more than 100 veterans will gather over the next several days for "Winter Soldier: Iraq and Afghanistan." The event is designed to be another purging of the horrors of war, and another effort to put American military policy on trial in the public eye. The gathering this time, at the National Labor College outside Washington, D.C., is sponsored by the group Iraq Veterans Against the War. "Soldiers will certainly be testifying about their experience and observation of actions which are absolutely in violation of international law," says IVAW spokesperson Perry O"Brien, who served as an Army medic in Afghanistan in 2003.

In interviews with Salon, several veterans from the group described incidents in Iraq that they believed constituted wrongdoing by the U.S. military, including disproportionate use of air power resulting in civilian deaths. The soldiers were unable to provide Salon with any conclusive evidence of war crimes. But as the fifth anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq approaches, the allegations they and other Winter Soldier members will publicize in Washington this week add to a long-term set of questions about the damage and destruction wrought by U.S. military operations over years of war.

more at:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/03/13/winter_sol...

Refresh | 7 Recommendations    Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
Where is the outrage at the atrocities the jihadists commit? *sound of crickets*

ixion  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 11:24 AM
Response to Original message
1. they've already been revealed... the question is, will justice be done

or, will the war criminals be tried for their war crimes.
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
Keep dreaming.

mamre11  (7 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 11:45 AM
Response to Original message
2. That's impressive

I am really impressed that soldiers and veterans would be willing to come forward and talk about it. That will be crucial to their own closure as well as the unearthing or all of the unseen things done in the name of "freedom." I always question a fight for freedom which involves secretive torture and unknown enemies.
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
Not every enemy wears a uniform.

Erroneously modified by franksolich to add link, and then unmodified; sorry about that, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:22:00 PM by franksolich »
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Airwolf

Re: Will American war crimes be revealed? (Salon)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:16:27 PM »
If the poster that was refering to the so called vets that along with John "I was in Vietnam" Kerry sat before Congress and lied about what they say are looked upon as heros then you know that persons stupid beyond belief.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:37:19 PM »
Yes, but the reporters and editors at the NYT, AP, and Reuters will never do any time.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:40:52 AM »
I hope these soldiers and their stories are thoroughly scrutinized. I'm sick to death of the lies.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 04:24:50 AM »
I hope these soldiers and their stories are thoroughly scrutinized. I'm sick to death of the lies.

Cindie

I hope they are scruitinized too.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 04:52:55 AM »
Gang, here's the most telling line of the OP that Coach brought over . . .

In interviews with Salon, several veterans from the group described incidents in Iraq that they believed constituted wrongdoing by the U.S. military, including disproportionate use of air power resulting in civilian deaths. The soldiers were unable to provide Salon with any conclusive evidence of war crimes.

These disguised DUmb****s are going to find out that just because you believe something is a war crime doesn't make it a war crime.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 05:36:41 AM »
Yes, but the reporters and editors at the NYT, AP, and Reuters will never do any time.

Darn right, I would not be opposed to trying them as traitors. 

My father fought in WW2 in the Pacific Theater.  I remember him telling some of the things that he witnessed.  If it were today, the liberals would be all upset with some of things that happened back then.  The mood was different then; however, patriotism was alive and well back then and anyone that questioned the war would have been very unpopular. They fought to win and were not constantly looking over their shoulders to see how a goofy liberal reporter with an agenda would slant the story to further their cause.  War is not a football game with rules and referees.  In the heat of battle, emotions sometimes overtakes reason and some bad things happen. 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:32:46 AM »
Gang, here's the most telling line of the OP that Coach brought over . . .

In interviews with Salon, several veterans from the group described incidents in Iraq that they believed constituted wrongdoing by the U.S. military, including disproportionate use of air power resulting in civilian deaths. The soldiers were unable to provide Salon with any conclusive evidence of war crimes.

These disguised DUmb****s are going to find out that just because you believe something is a war crime doesn't make it a war crime.

That line in the middle "including disproportionate use of air power resulting in civilian deaths" has me scratching my head too.
We are not supposed to use the superior forces we have to ensure quick victory?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
I hope they mention the names of these alleged war criminal who are coming forward...not only should they be arrested for admitting to their crims and tried in a military court...it will be fun uncovering the ones lying about their combat tours.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
I hope they mention the names of these alleged war criminal who are coming forward...not only should they be arrested for admitting to their crims and tried in a military court...it will be fun uncovering the ones lying about their combat tours.

They should be put on pay per view for all to see as they sit in their court martials hoping to not draw a death sentance for treason.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline jukin

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.