Author Topic: You go to a food bank and have internet?  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Miss Mia

You go to a food bank and have internet?
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »
JanMichael (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-13-08 07:45 PM
Original message
For those of us having issues buying food:
 particularly those of us who have used food banks:

I am interested in suggestions re: what would make a food bank easier to use? What process needs to be eliminated to make getting food more accessible?

I have noticed a crap load of red tape associated with using food bank services. Please tell me in this thread what would make life easier for folks who just need some help with getting some groceries?

bbinacan (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-13-08 07:49 PM
Response to Original message
1. I know this will sound cold
 and I apologize in advance. How can one so cash strapped that they can't buy food, find a way to pay for internet service and a computer?

JanMichael (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-13-08 07:51 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. yep. You do sound cold
 if you have to apologize for something in advance, perhaps you shouldn't post it.

People can get on DU from the Library, or from free internet.

bbinacan (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-13-08 08:02 PM
Response to Reply #3
7. Then I apologize if
 you are using a computer at the library. Is that the case?

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-13-08 08:25 PM
Response to Reply #11
20. No, it was NOT a "legitimate question". It's tantamount to stalking.
 YOUR choice is YOUR choice.

Liberals live and let live.

Modified by franksolich to add link, as this bonfire's good, and well worth getting out the boat to go over to see.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=3005360&mesg_id=3005360
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:23:11 PM by franksolich »
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jukin

Re: You go to a food bank and have internet?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »
Food is a right and internet is not.....................................yet.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »
As I said in another thread, the DUmmies just aren't willing to prioritize and give up luxuries like the Internet to actually improve their lives.   :mental:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
more...

bbinacan (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-13-08 08:27 PM
Response to Reply #20
22. Stalking?
 How so? 

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-13-08 08:33 PM
Response to Reply #22
27. Thinking you have some right to PRY into the private life of someone you don't even know.
 Yes, you're on the road to stalking.

Cease and desist.

bbinacan (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-13-08 08:53 PM
Response to Reply #27
37. The OP just PM'd me
 and I assure you that you haven't a ****ing clue of what you're talking about.

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-13-08 08:30 PM
Response to Reply #8
23. "This attitude that poor people are poor because they are mismanaging their money "
 is a conservative paradigm.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

"In this belief system, the burden falls solely on the individual. If the person fails to succeed, it is due totally to their own failings. They were lazy, they made the wrong choices, or they just plain aren't too bright. Therefore, they pretty much got what they deserved."

It's time to do away with this judgmental, conservative and destructive meme!

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-13-08 08:22 PM
Response to Reply #1
17. Oh, for crying in a bucket! Yes, you SHOULD apologize!
 Just think first, before posting judgement like this!

THINK...it only hurts for a little while.....

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3005360

I'm tempted to start a thread on Habitat for Humanity right now.   :evillaugh:
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:16:54 PM »
As I said in another thread, the DUmmies just aren't willing to prioritize and give up luxuries like the Internet to actually improve their lives.   :mental:

I don`t know,thinking Frank is probably right...they just lie,all the time,about everything.

My guess is they think that they are having a great impact (outside of us laughing at them) on society so as to have greater force everything is exaggerated to its extreme.

They are stupid like that.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »
Oh damn.

Sorry about that, Miss Mia, madam.

I looked for your link in your first post, and didn't see one.

As it's a good bonfire, I added the link.....but to a different thread here.

And then I had to unmodify that one, and came here.

So I modified your original post to include the link.....and then discovered you had the link in a subsequent comment.

Actually, believe it or not, moderators don't like to mess with people's stuff, and this is one of the reasons why.

Sorry about that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:28:30 PM »
bobbolink  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-13-08 08:30 PM
Response to Reply #8
23. "This attitude that poor people are poor because they are mismanaging their money "
 is a conservative paradigm.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

"In this belief system, the burden falls solely on the individual. If the person fails to succeed, it is due totally to their own failings. They were lazy, they made the wrong choices, or they just plain aren't too bright. Therefore, they pretty much got what they deserved."

It's time to do away with this judgmental, conservative and destructive meme!

In other words, if someone walks up to you with their hand out and says they're poor, you're not to question them, not to consider what they're idea of "poor" is, not to try to change their base circumstances to help them overcome their poverty, just fill the hand with cash as many times as it's stuck out.

Like hell, lady. You and those like you are the prime reason there's been such a backlash against the government safety net. Your shrill demands and sense of entitlement to unlimited supplies of other's hard-earned money without accountability does far more damage than any "stingy Republican".

I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »
Oh damn.

Sorry about that, Miss Mia, madam.

I looked for your link in your first post, and didn't see one.

As it's a good bonfire, I added the link.....but to a different thread here.

And then I had to unmodify that one, and came here.

So I modified your original post to include the link.....and then discovered you had the link in a subsequent comment.

Actually, believe it or not, moderators don't like to mess with people's stuff, and this is one of the reasons why.

Sorry about that.

Frank, all is well.  :)

I screwed up when I first posted so I added a second post with more of the thread and the link.  :)

Stink Eye

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
The biggest problem for the DUmies is that four dollar gas is a shame to most folks, but it isn't a deal-killer.  We still buy gas and still go where we wanna go (thanks Mamas & Papas).

We fill up... we go 300 miles or so.....wouldn't you pay anyone $60.00 to take you 300 miles?  It is not that big of a deal.  We pay that much for a good restaurant bill for two and don't bat an eye.

It isn't that big of a deal.  We have lived through it before (Carter years).

Damn that day the Democrats took over the purse strings!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »
The biggest problem for the DUmies is that four dollar gas is a shame to most folks, but it isn't a deal-killer.  We still buy gas and still go where we wanna go (thanks Mamas & Papas).

We fill up... we go 300 miles or so.....wouldn't you pay anyone $60.00 to take you 300 miles?  It is not that big of a deal.  We pay that much for a good restaurant bill for two and don't bat an eye.

It isn't that big of a deal.  We have lived through it before (Carter years).

Damn that day the Democrats took over the purse strings!

I'm lucky, I get 1 tank of fuel a month from work.  That's half my diesel usage for a month.  Woo hoo! 
Stink Eye

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:06 PM »
Hey, I have been given that SAME response, "people can get on the internet at the library"  when I confronted the same BS from the same people.

I don't buy it. People that don't have food to eat are NOT concerned with going to the public library to use their internet. And btw, do these libraries have computers that these people use, too?
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »

I don`t know,thinking Frank is probably right...they just lie,all the time,about everything.

My guess is they think that they are having a great impact (outside of us laughing at them) on society so as to have greater force everything is exaggerated to its extreme.

They are stupid like that.

This is what I think too. Part of their image of being a liberal is to be "poor" and downtrodden, so they are trying to paint that image of themselves, so they lie like they do. They are too stoooopid to realize that you look like a retard shouting out to the world that your A-power is about to be cut off because you are broke, B-pantry is empty because you are too broke, and C-your cable has already been cut because you are too broke...all while sending the message via the world wide web. I have yet to ever hear a DUmmie say that their internet is either about to be cut off or is cut off and they ARE posting from a library. Again, if they had no internet and no food to eat, the last thing they would be doing would be racing to the public library to go post their thoughts on a message board.

The whole thing is a hoax to make the eeeevvviiiillll Republican in office look like the ultimate oppressor of these poor, poor, downtrodden folks <sniff, sniff>.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm not buying it either. Methinks the OP just let it slip that it's not too proud to take charity from the truly needy.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm not buying it either. Methinks the OP just let it slip that it's not too proud to take charity from the truly needy.

I don't know if he's the one actually going to the food bank or if he possibly volunteers at one. *shrug* 

I have no experience with food banks, other than donating money and food to them.
Stink Eye