Author Topic: The Air America Cruise: BIAS & a Kick in the Pants for only 4200.00 a Couple!  (Read 3391 times)

Offline ScubaGuy

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x5055362#5055612

LulaMay  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 05:07 AM
Original message
The Air America Cruise: BIAS & a Kick in the Pants for only 4200.00 a Couple!

Advertisements [?]
My husband and I went on the Air America cruise. We were so excited, being faithful fans since the early days. We'd paid in November to go, a lot of money for us, before the primary got so heated up. When we first considered going, we hadn't a thought, or reason to think our favorite 'liberal' radio show and hosts would be biased for one candidate or another.

By the time February swung around, I was nervous about going. Randi, Rachel, and pal KO, had all been showing bias for Obama in their commentary, and against Hillary. Only Thom Hartmann seemed above the fray.

Our worst fears were realized in short order.

Here's what we got for our 4200.00 from Air America: a poolside cocktail followed by a great big kick in the pants, ie: You're not really welcome here!

In the very 1st meeting, station mgr. Mark Green made it extremely clear that this was going to be a trip for Obama supporters, Hillary people need not apply. After praising Obama, he commanded everyone to raise their hands if they were for Obama, and then for Hillary. The Hillary supporters were made to feel like minority outcasts.

Some people didn't go to another event. My husband did, to try and speak up, keep some fairness in the discussions, but got pretty disgusted. I'd had it after two experiences.

The kicker was a panel where the topic was how the media was affecting politics, the primary. Nobody even mentioned sexism and the Hillary bashing/bias by Matthew's, Shuster, Olbermann, Russert, etc....

Of course not! Why would they do that? That would mean they'd have to talk about their own bias on Air America, how they rarely discuss sexism or how it's been used to bash Hillary, while showcasing ridiculously biased Obama fever.

It was the most disingenuous 'political' forum I've ever been to.

At one point, another couple got together with us to approach the meeting organizers and ask for a Hillary supporters meeting, like a casual sidebar discussion afterwards. My husband did most of the talking when we asked. They seemed incredulous, but said 'okay', they'd announce it.

As we were walking into the meeting, I saw out of the corner of my eye that Mark Green and Randi had been standing behind us and heard what was said.

The first thing Mark Green did in the meeting was to say "I was told there was A WOMAN who was UNHAPPY about Hillary supporters feeling left out, unrepresented. There was a request for a meeting, so if THAT PERSON WILL GIVE ME HER NAME, I'll address it." I laughed out loud, and Sharon, a brilliant LMFT who was THE WOMAN in Mark Greens doctored versions of events, just turned and rolled her eyes at me.

It was like Mark Green thought he was the CIA! His tone was tinged with anger and intimidation. Randi was sitting next to him and said not a word. I guess it was okay by her, even though she'd seen what happened and that at least FOUR people, men AND women, had asked for the meeting.

I didn't go to another event, except the last meet and greet to talk to Hartmann and Paul Krugman, who looked like he did not want to be there.

It was the most ridiculously biased, closed minded, divisive liberal political event I'd ever been to. AND IT WAS OUR VACATION! They didn't even have the common courtesy to recognize that everybody had paid a lot of money to come, extra money to be part of the Air America meetings, and that they should keep things unbiased, open, welcoming to all, so everyone could enjoy it! No, they had not a care.

We simply could not believe it, and were entirely disappointed as 'fans'. I haven't listened much at all since we got back, and I hear from my husband it's only become worse.

In the end, I didn't mind missing meetings and drinking a cocktail while sunlit waves rolled by.

I realized it was really a pretty dumb way to spend one's vacation anyway,

but the nerve!

What kind of fool goes on a vacation to listen to political talk?  When I go on vacation I want to get away from work and all my everyday cares.  They'll still be there when I return.

mucifer  (886 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 07:12 AM
Response to Original message
9. I was on the cruise and I think you are paranoid

There were many more Obama supporters than Clinton supporters. But, Mark Green said he was a Clinton supporter at one of the events. Maybe I misunderstood him. There were lots of lectures where people spoke up for Barack or Hillary and people stood there with mikes in their hands saying why one was better than the other. Sexism was brought out more than once. If you weren't there you didn't hear it.So I don't see why you were afraid to be seen as a Hillary supporter. Paul Krugman gave great policy speech on why he liked Hillary's health care plan better. No one gave an alternate speech on Obama's plan.

Woohoo sounds like a fun time.  :loser:

But the best is!

sniffa  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 12:04 PM
17. .

Damn it doesn't show!  It's an image of a bouncing ball.   :rotf:
25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Air America is still on the air?   :rotf:

It was like Mark Green thought he was the CIA!
That cracked me up!

Offline Lord Undies

They can't afford gasoline, but they can afford this tripe? 

Where's and iceberg when you need one?

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
4200.00 is pretty stiff for a cruise to sit around and listen to a bunch of stiffs from a failed radio channel.

How can they afford to do that in our Collapsed Economyâ„¢? Think of all the homeless snail darters that would have fed!

It's a shame the cruise line didn't just drop them all off in Cuba or Venezuela.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Points and laughs at Lula May for being a tool and totally owned. :bwah: :lol: :edit: :busted:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.

sniffa  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 12:04 PM
17. .

Fixorzed.

Offline ScubaGuy

17. .

Fixorzed.

Thanks!  Next thing you know the DUmmies will be awarding bongs to bouncy stories.

25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
4200.00 is pretty stiff for a cruise to sit around and listen to a bunch of stiffs from a failed radio channel.

After Airhead America raped a few boys clubs for cash and that dried up, it looks like they are raping their minions now.
Was $kinner on the same cruise or is he saving up for his own private party?
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator

After Airhead America raped a few boys clubs for cash and that dried up, it looks like they are raping their minions now.
Can you imagine a DU cruise? I'd be tempted to buy a ticket for that sort of live entertainment.

Offline Lord Undies

Can you imagine a DU cruise? I'd be tempted to buy a ticket for that sort of live entertainment.

The Voyage Of The Damn! They're Idiots!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

It might be fun to be on a U-Boat following it out to sea...THAT would be worth $4200! 

AUFTAUCHEN!  Master sight to ze bridge, ve make surface attack!  Erich, giff me efferyzing from zose verdammte Diesels!

:evillaugh:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
WTF! A political cruise???? :mental: :mental: :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline jukin

A DUmbass and it's allowance/SSDI/welfare are soon parted.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Ship of Fools

Obama supporers may turn out to be as rabid as Paulistinians.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Ship of Fools

And twice as stupid.

Okay kids, time to fill in the blanks!

A (_____) and his (_____) are soon (______).
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
Ship of Fools

And twice as stupid.

Okay kids, time to fill in the blanks!

A (_____) and his (_____) are soon (______).

Hippie weed smoked?  :-)
Basement-Dweller Cheeto's Inhaled?  :-)
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Yes, this is just what progressives need to be doing .... burning 50 gallons of diesel fuel per mile.  I guess Algore didn't show because he couldn't afford the extra carbon credits. 

:whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

• Global Moderator
Yes, this is just what progressives need to be doing .... burning 50 gallons of diesel fuel per mile.  I guess Algore didn't show because he couldn't afford the extra carbon credits. 

:whatever:

KC
More like: he was waving down at them from inside his private jet.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Reading some of the OP's posts about the cruise I notice it mentions several times that it could NOT afford the cruise ..... makes one wonder when the fundraiser at DU to save its home from foreclosure will be held.

They go spend the money then bitch because they couldn't pay the bills ....   :whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Reading some of the OP's posts about the cruise I notice it mentions several times that it could NOT afford the cruise ..... makes one wonder when the fundraiser at DU to save its home from foreclosure will be held.

They go spend the money then bitch because they couldn't pay the bills ....   :whatever:

KC

How DARE you question their priorities you rwing neocon fascist!  /DUmmie mode

Wow--that really HURT.  Stupidity really IS painful!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

KC

How DARE you question their priorities you rwing neocon fascist!  /DUmmie mode

Wow--that really HURT.  Stupidity really IS painful!

Yeah, call me irresponsible for not putting my priorities in line.  A political vacation cruise should always come before paying off the CC bills.  I mean, if we aren't there getting our voices heard then we're no better than people who vote without knowing the issues .... that would make us Democrats!   :lmao:

KC

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

How can they afford to do that in our Collapsed Economyâ„¢? Think of all the homeless snail darters that would have fed!

It's a shame the cruise line didn't just drop them all off in Cuba or Venezuela.

2100 per person should get a balcony on a 7-day (Mexico or Caribbean).  These things usually are priced around what the non-topic cruises, unless it is truly something spectacular.  A bunch of washed out never-was hacks is certainly not "spectacular."

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

• Global Moderator
Yeah.

You could've gotten an hour with a smokin' hawt New York callgirl instead.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

KC
No fundraiser needed.  Even as we speak congresspeople are working to reward this kind of personal financial planning.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
They can't afford gasoline, but they can afford this tripe? 

Where's and iceberg when you need one?

What are you getting at?  Surely you're not suggesting that they prioritize with their money?  What kind of crazy talk is that? :mental:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther