Author Topic: primitives raise stupid chickens  (Read 1248 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives raise stupid chickens
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=268x4076

Oh my.

It's really odd, primitives calling chickens "stupid."

hedgehog  (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-13-10 02:50 PM
Original message

Do I have a really dumb bunch of chickens, or what?

I've kept hens and roosters for about 20 years. From time to time a hen will get broody. In twenty years, I think my hens have hatched a grand total of 20 chicks! The one hen who hatched four chicks insisted on perching with them overnight in the lilac bush. Some critter picked off the chicks one-by-one, then got the hen!

So, this summer, a little banty decided to sit some eggs. She's been at it since Labor Day. Generally, there is another hen sitting in the box with her; usually another banty. Now, I found the remains of two eggs that had hatched, but never found a sign of the chicks. Then a third egg hatched, but the chick ended up at the edge of the nesting box. I think it may have died from exposure.

So, does this banty just like sitting on eggs? Is raising a chick a learning process?

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-13-10 02:57 PM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE, #09 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009
Response to Original message

1. I guess instinct only goes so far and if they hadn't been raised by their own mother hens, they don't have a clue what to do with a chick after it hatches. Likely they died of starvation because Mom didn't have brains enough to feed them.

So yeah, they like sitting on eggs.

LWolf  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-14-10 08:42 AM
Response to Original message

2. My broody hens have hatched out 35 or 40 chicks in the last 5 years. Not every egg hatches. If eggs don't hatch within the time the hens' biological clocks dictate, they will abandon the nest. If an egg hatches late, after the hen has left the nest with the chicks, she doesn't accept the chick. If there is a problem with a chick, and it can't follow her when she leaves the nest, she'll abandon it.

My 2 broody hens are protective and do a good job raising the chicks. Not coincidentally, their maternal instinct turns off like a switch about the time the youngsters are fully fledged. Suddenly, they aren't protecting them any more, and will chase them off of food.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline true_blood

Re: primitives raise stupid chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
It's really odd, primitives calling chickens "stupid."

You just described the primitives and their way of thinking. :cheersmate: :-)

Offline longview

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
Typical response by the primitive who goes into something without any appreciation of the process.  Blame someone or something else.

We have a chicken expert on this forum, so I will limit my remarks to the facts that only 70 to 80% of fertilized eggs hatch with even the best equipment and care.  For backyard breeders who do everything right and use broody hens, the rate is only about 50%.  Same for hobbyists who try to incubate the eggs at home or in a classroom.

There is good FREE information online and from any county extension office, but it does take EFFORT once one knows what to do.  That may negate the positive of the "free" stuff.

I wonder if a DUmmy would make the relation of trying to run a business (chicken producers) when 20 to 30 percent of your product fails.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »
Yes, chickens are stupid. They'll let you catch them and chop their head off.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:39:23 PM »

heh! You haven't chased many chickens after the first one "gets" it, have ya! hehehehehehe!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »
The egg didn't fall to far from the DUmbass.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
The egg didn't fall to far from the DUmbass.

Yep! "Stoooopid is as stoooopid does"!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 02:15:48 PM »
Well, really, ALL chickens are stupid.  Hedgehog doesn't seem a Hell of a lot brighter than them, either. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 06:28:10 PM »
Well, really, ALL chickens are stupid.  Hedgehog doesn't seem a Hell of a lot brighter than them, either. 

Totally unrelated story..

Last Saturday I went to a junkyard in Rhode Island that I have pretty good luck with, and I made my way to a back section where they keep scrapped Subarus as I needed to pick a headlight connector for the wife's car ( the rubber covering on hers rotted, water got in and the connector shorted and melted ) Anyway.. As I'm chopping the harness off the car, Behind me I hear SQUAAAAAAWWWWW !!!! I turn around and there is this feral rooster and a few hens who have claimed this dead Subie as their roost.

I decided if the thing didn't leave when I shook my fist at it, I was going to teach it how to fly with my foot. Unlike the primitive's stupid chickens, this rooster and the hens chose the correct option. 

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »

Chicken is good eatin. Hedgehog, not so much.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:58:37 AM »

Not really. It's kinda like herding cats. The best way to do it is go into their coop in the morning before you open the door and pluck them off their perch.

As for hatch rates, I still haven't figured a winning formula. Hens do the best job but they will reject sick or unhealthy chicks (even when they seem perfectly healthy to us). I've tried bringing these chicks in and raising them with other chicks but they rarely survive.

Broodiness is an extremely strong instinct. Hens will set for months with very little food or water. Sometimes one poor hen will set on eggs forever and then right before the chicks hatch another hen will decide to sit with her. If the interloper is a dominate hen, she ends up being the adobtive mother. Other times the two will raise them together. Often one of my hens will run off and set on eggs in the brush. I'll think she died or something and next thing I know she'll emerge with chicks in tow. Last year I had a sex link that did that and they're bred to NOT get broody. Go figure.

Just like any other bird, they'll seek a safe place for their chicks. A tree seems a logical choice for any bird. Some just seem to prefer sleeping in trees. They are still birds, after all. Generally they get picked off one or two at a time but I'm not going to climb a tree to get them. Sometimes I've been able to retrain them to go in the coop but some you just have to let go.

Chickens aren't the most intelligent creatures on the earth, but some are smarter than others. I have a couple of Speckled Sussex hens, Hattie and Jenny Any Dot that come running when I come out and will crouch down to be picked up and will follow me around carrying on the chicken version of a conversation. They also manage to get humans to turn over bricks and rocks so they can grab the worms hiding underneath.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
Totally unrelated story..

Last Saturday I went to a junkyard in Rhode Island that I have pretty good luck with, and I made my way to a back section where they keep scrapped Subarus as I needed to pick a headlight connector for the wife's car ( the rubber covering on hers rotted, water got in and the connector shorted and melted ) Anyway.. As I'm chopping the harness off the car, Behind me I hear SQUAAAAAAWWWWW !!!! I turn around and there is this feral rooster and a few hens who have claimed this dead Subie as their roost.

I decided if the thing didn't leave when I shook my fist at it, I was going to teach it how to fly with my foot. Unlike the primitive's stupid chickens, this rooster and the hens chose the correct option. 

We had an old grey rooster at the farm that would catch you with your back turns and flog you on the back of the leg.

He tried that option on me one time, and I punted his rooster behind thru a barbed wire fence.

From then on, whenever I passed him, he was quite vocal about my presence, but never attempted to sneak up on me.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 02:11:54 AM »
They also manage to get humans to turn over bricks and rocks so they can grab the worms hiding underneath.

Cindie

Sounds like they have you well trained.  :-*

I've been thinking about building a solar/wind powered chicken house, but if I do, I'll buy live chicks from McMurray Hatchery or some such place.

Offline Karin

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 07:46:43 AM »
solar/wind powered chicken house

Vermont Moonbat. 

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 11:47:38 AM »
We had an old grey rooster at the farm that would catch you with your back turns and flog you on the back of the leg.

He tried that option on me one time, and I punted his rooster behind thru a barbed wire fence.

From then on, whenever I passed him, he was quite vocal about my presence, but never attempted to sneak up on me.

I know what you mean. Some roosters just need to be kicked across the yard a few times until understand who the alpha is.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
Sounds like they have you well trained.  :-*

I've been thinking about building a solar/wind powered chicken house, but if I do, I'll buy live chicks from McMurray Hatchery or some such place.

Stromberg's has a nice variety too. The ultimate dream place to by chicks from because she does so much work improving genetic lines of heritage and rare breeds is Sandhill Preservation Center.

Cindie
Mick Foley

Hedy Lamarr

Morticia Addams

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 12:04:41 PM »
A buddy of mine lives out in the country, and has some chickens...one rooster.  The chickens will be food, so they have no names, but the rooster does.  His name is Obama, because he is half black, half white, and F's everything.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline true_blood

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »
A buddy of mine lives out in the country, and has some chickens...one rooster.  The chickens will be food, so they have no names, but the rooster does.  His name is Obama, because he is half black, half white, and F's everything.   :-)
lol :cheersmate:

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 04:24:48 PM »
A buddy of mine lives out in the country, and has some chickens...one rooster.  The chickens will be food, so they have no names, but the rooster does.  His name is Obama, because he is half black, half white, and F's everything up.    :-)

Much better.   :rotf:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.