Author Topic: A Word document question  (Read 2510 times)

Offline ChuckJ

A Word document question
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »
I have a form from 2012 that is a protected MS Word doc.

It is one of those fill in the blank type forms which I like because it makes my life easier. The problem is that I need to add an image in a block that is not an editable field. I don't know the password to unprotect the document so I can add the image. I don't even know where to begin to look for who would know the password. Is there a way around the password other than saving the doc as a rtf file? Saving as a rtf does remove the protection, but it also screws the margins.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: A Word document question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »
What version of Word?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »
What version of Word?

I'm using 2007. I don't know what was used to create the document.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
You might try this to start.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Word-Excel-password-recovery-Wizard/3000-2092_4-10249515.html

The thing is that it's going matter how strong the password is, whatever the solution , it's going to have to brute force the password.

That can take some time.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:53:31 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a try. It's not a real big deal if I can't get it unprotected. I can just manually add the image with a graphics program, but this is a form I have to use 30 or so times a year so it'd be less of a hassle to just add the image once.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
After looking at this for a bit, there were some recommendations for this.

http://www.rixler.com/office_password_recovery_toolbox.htm?gclid=CNe_k6P62bQCFcxAMgodaSAAcg

Just skimming the site it seems free but for whatever reason they also have specialized tools for word, access, excel...whatever.

I don't know if it's free or not but it did come with some good rec's.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu