Author Topic: Windows7 32bit vs 64bit  (Read 2632 times)

Offline ChuckJ

Windows7 32bit vs 64bit
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
When I installed Windows7 a year or so ago for some reason I installed the 32bit version. Would it be worth the hassle to wipe it and reinstall the 64bit version?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline thundley4

Re: Windows7 32bit vs 64bit
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »
64-Bit Computing—Pros
More processing power: In very basic terms, 64-bit means that it can handle twice as many bits per clock cycle. For more on the technicalities of the architecture, we recommend reading this Wikipedia entry.

More memory: The 32-bit consumer version of Windows is only capable of addressing 3 to 3.5 Gbyte of RAM; therefore, when you use more than 4 Gbyte, the additional RAM goes to waste. Hitting the 3 to 3.5 Gbyte limit only occurs if you work with several memory-hungry programs at the same time.

Performance advantage: Practically speaking, applications can make use of the 64-bit architecture to process huge data operations more quickly. This is especially important with advanced programs, such as video editing suites, games, or encryption software.

More security: The 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and 7 contain Kernel Patch Protection which prevents malicious programs from changing the Windows kernel. The operating systems also boast a Data Execution Prevention which uses a special processor feature to prevent an application from running code from a memory region where it’s not supposed to run. Overall, the 64-bit edition is more secure than its 32-bit counterpart.

64-Bit Computing—Cons

Possible driver issues:32-bit drivers are not supported; hardware manufacturers have to provide special 64-bit versions. However, this is not as much of an issue anymore, as nearly all of the hardware that has been released over the past three years has shipped with drivers right out of the box. If not, these drivers will come via Windows Updates or download from the company’s support Web sites.
http://blog.tune-up.com/windows-insights/32-bit-vs-64-bit-more-bit-more-performance/

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
If you've got the resources to run it - go for it.

Typically you'll not have driver issues with any device built in the last few years ; especially higher end stuff as they're designed with 64bit in mind. If you have older legacy devices or "generic" hardware, check to see if there is a driver available before installing.

When I built my current games machine a couple years back I ended up with Vista 64U on it - which installed (and functioned)  smoothly and perfectly. When I upgraded to a SSD and Win7U the install was simple and easy.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the input. I was going to have a go at installing 64bit but life got in the way. Maybe next week.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »
If you have the memory & the processor power, 64 bit is the way to go. 90%+ of all vendors have 64 bit drivers now.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
If you have the memory & the processor power, 64 bit is the way to go. 90%+ of all vendors have 64 bit drivers now.

And today I ran into that dread 10% although it is no big deal.  I got a new ( but very inexpensive) camera card reader.  It does not like it nope, nope, nope.  It does love XP so it will go to one of the XP machines.  I can't complain it only cost $9.95 and does all my oldest camera cards.

Other than that I have found 64 bit W7 which came installed on my new laptop to be just dandy.   It's a 1.7 AMD w/6 gig ram running an OEM 64 bit windoze 7. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >