Author Topic: Zombies!  (Read 2519 times)

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Zombies!
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:01:47 AM »
I have a zombie laptop.

A week ago Monday, my laptop died.  It was two and a half years old, had shrugged off a vicious infection by a bot virus, had served well as a web surfer/email fetcher/GPS device and game console, and now it was gone.  The screen wouldn't light up, the hard drive wouldn't spin, and it was only with difficulty that I got the disc drawer to open up and let me have my game disc back.

I took it to the store from whence it came; they shook their heads over it and sent me to a nearby shop where they fix computers and sell used ones.  They shook their heads over it and said it could probably be fixed for about what it would cost to buy a new one.

I went back to the other store and ordered a new one.  After pulling the hard drive, put the old one in the back of the car, intending to try to get something out of it.

So this guy says "let me look at it, and if I can get it going again, give me $45; if I can't, I'll give you $45 and keep it for parts."

Whatever he did worked.  I got it back today.  I picked up the new one last Thursday.

So I have two laptops, both running up-to-date Win7 64-bit; one has a better processor and more memory and a bigger hard drive.  Both have wi-fi.

So here's what I'd like to do:

I know about making ad hoc connections between wi-fi enabled computers.  I'd like to connect them this way and have them compare notes in the "My Documents" areas-- Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos-- and make sure they both have the same items in these areas, and in the latest versions.

Quicken files, too...

Is there anything out there that would help me do that?

Thanks.

My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Zombies!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:05:38 AM »
There may be something under File and Print Sharing. I don't know off the top of my head, but I can take a look at my W7 laptop in the morning.

I have an occasional zombie machine at work.  I have no idea what it is... static discharge or a bad ground.  I don't have a clue.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:08:40 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Re: Zombies!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
That looks pretty neat.

I installed it on my two computers  that are my home network , one running Vista and one Win 7.   I'm only sharing two folders and it seems to work.