Author Topic: BOINC  (Read 2748 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
BOINC
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »
Just wondering if anyone here has BOINC running on there computers a crunching numbers. I've got it running on my newer computer and my old one, and have racked up 67,000 credits which means I've contributed about 58 quadrillion floating-point operation over the course of a few years.

From Wikipedia:
The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) is an open source middleware system for volunteer and grid computing. It was originally developed to support the SETI@home project before it became useful as a platform for other distributed applications  in areas as diverse as mathematics, medicine, molecular biology, climatology, and astrophysics. The intent of BOINC is to make it possible for researchers to tap into the enormous processing power of personal computers around the world.

It's easy to install and customise how it runs, and it uses some of your computers unused processing power while you browse the web and such to help science.

I was just wondering if anyone else did this and to also make more people aware of this in case the don't mind contributing.

You can find all the stuff here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: BOINC
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
Damn, compaq, I thought you were advertising yourself as some arm candy for a CC babe and had merely misspelled the word!

Boinc?

Or boink?

You decide!  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.