Author Topic: apple imac?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline ChuckJ

apple imac?
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:03:13 PM »
For anyone who has any apple imac experience...

Are they any good? How smoothly does Windows apps run using Parallels Desktop?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: apple imac?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:16:37 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »
Ive havent used the imacs or the parallels desktop. Though I have repaired one (with the parallels desktop). The one I use/own is the Powerbook G4 17" Laptop. I have a couple of (Toshiba) laptops too, but I luv the Mac compared to the PC.

Actually I have used imacs but only to repair or to show others how to use them. And the one w/parallels didnt seem to have any real problems or issues with the MS applications. Seemed to run quite smooth. :)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »
Toshiba makes a good PC.

My biggest problem with macs today is that they are WAY over priced and their proprietary software. Of course, I remember the day when one could hardly find compatible software for a mac.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Janice

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:51:24 PM »
I have a 15 and a 17" Toshiba, both with Win7. One dual boots XP and 7. They seem to be excellent machines, at least compared to many others that are brought to me for repair.

One of my main pet peeves with pc laptops is how the mouse oftentimes seems to click on things all by itself. Usually when you simply pass over something and sometimes not even that. You can only adjust the sensitivity so much. Its very annoying on some machines. Mac does not suffer that problem at all. And of course mac is much less vulnerable to infections and is usually more stable all around.

But as you say, they are not for the shopper looking for a bargain.

To be honest, many of the older pc laptops were much more stable than many of the newer ones. With the bigger cpu's and graphics components came a lot of new problems. Sometimes resulting in class action lawsuits. And the newer ones generally arent as tough as their predecessors were.

Anyways, in todays economy I could never justify buying an Apple. Its a shame thats just about all you see them using on the lib tv shows. As if they were in truth economical (to be used in entire police department or crime labs are lawyers offices or whatever), when in fact they are not. I have no affinity for Bill Gates but Steve Jobs is no conservative. It appears that with success and wealth the common sense side of the brains is usually the first to capitulate. My brother is one of those, so I have seen it first hand unfortunately.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »
I have a Toshiba laptop that is in excess of ten years old. Other than the battery, it functions well, albeit slow. It initially came with Windows ME and was PITA!! I formatted the drive and upgraded to XP. Since that upgrade, it's been good to go. I was tempted to put Windows 7 on it, but the RAM is maxxed out at 512 MB. W7 runs quite well on my other two very old desktops.

Offline Janice

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 01:54:18 AM »
I know what you mean. I have a couple of older laptops that I have put XP on and they run like champs. Actually I probably have about 2 dozen laptops altogether but only about half of them run good. Then I also have a sort of 'parts yard'. But the 2 Toshibas are the only ones that I actually use. Mostly when I go out of town or am on a repair call.

Off hand Id say Acer and Toshiba are my favorite laptops.

Its fun getting any of the older pc's to run xp, just as long as you know your limitations. CPU can be fairly small, but 384mb ram is the minimum I'd recommend for optimal performance. A 'slimmed down' xp can do more but its not usually worth it in the long run. But again it can depend on what its going to be used for. A pure internet machine can get by on a lot less resources than the others. I guess thats why the market for the netbooks is now thriving.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 04:51:24 AM »
I'm not really planning on making a purchase right now even though my wife is trying to get me to buy something before tomorrow for tax purposes. My main reasons for asking is just curiosity. I got my start with apple (the old IIe), but I haven't messed with an apple since those days.

The other day I happened upon an article that led to apple's website and was impressed by the looks and features of the imacs. It just looks like a pretty good amount of power in a confined space. I was wondering if that caused issues.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline olde north church

• Don't strive to be liked, strive to be admired.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:28:45 AM »
I would have to respectfully disagree about price issues with the mac products when you convert to value.  Initially, the Apple product is more expensive BUT when you take into consideration lost time due to viruses and the cost of anti-virus programs, down time to due Windows sensitivity issues and constant security upgrades not to mention overall aggravation with product, mac is less expensive in the long run.
My previous laptop was a MacBook Pro.  Bought it in 2K03, it served me well until 2009 when the hard drive went.  During that time, it was powered up basically all the time for 6 years.  I've had my current IMac since August 09 and it's a killer machine.  My wife has a Windows desktop set up in her office and it pains me any time I'm required to use it.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00:41 AM »
ONC,

No. I disagree. I run a free anti-virus and have for years. Since XP, PCs have gotten a lot better. I have two desktops that are 9 & 10 years old and run fine. I even have Windows 7 on them, as they meet the parameters for W7. (barely) These desktops cost me half the price of a store bought as I built them. So, for $400-500, they have shown their value. BTW, macs are not impervious to viruses. They used to be, but only because a limited number of people actually bought macs. So, the virus writers ignored the mac OS. That isn't the case any more. If you're using a mac and NOT running an anti-virus, you're asking for trouble. My newest PC, which is now 6-8 months old will run circles around most macs. (it's tough to put an age on my newest PC because it took me a few months of parts buying)

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
ONC,

No. I disagree. I run a free anti-virus and have for years. Since XP, PCs have gotten a lot better. I have two desktops that are 9 & 10 years old and run fine. I even have Windows 7 on them, as they meet the parameters for W7. (barely) These desktops cost me half the price of a store bought as I built them. So, for $400-500, they have shown their value. BTW, macs are not impervious to viruses. They used to be, but only because a limited number of people actually bought macs. So, the virus writers ignored the mac OS. That isn't the case any more. If you're using a mac and NOT running an anti-virus, you're asking for trouble. My newest PC, which is now 6-8 months old will run circles around most macs. (it's tough to put an age on my newest PC because it took me a few months of parts buying)

My original final sentence to my post was going to be:  I'm not a Democrat nor a Liberal so I won't tell you how to spend your money, I'll only mention how I spent mine.

That being said, your personally built system, no doubt, brings it to a higher level of performance.  What would the price equivalent be for an off the shelf system with comparable components be?

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 09:31:53 AM »
For what it's worth....

I run a MacBook Pro with VMWare Fusion and Windows 7 (and Snow Leopard, of course). I've had die-hard PC users tell me Windows 7 runs better on my Mac with the VMWare than it does on their hardware.

Just my .02  :-)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 10:07:43 AM »
My original final sentence to my post was going to be:  I'm not a Democrat nor a Liberal so I won't tell you how to spend your money, I'll only mention how I spent mine.

That being said, your personally built system, no doubt, brings it to a higher level of performance.  What would the price equivalent be for an off the shelf system with comparable components be?

Roughly $1000.... Sans OS & other software (just the actual components)

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
Roughly $1000.... Sans OS & other software (just the actual components)

That's a nice bit of coin!

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »
For anyone who has any apple imac experience...

Are they any good? How smoothly does Windows apps run using Parallels Desktop?

They run great.  Best computer I've ever owned.

Skip Parallels and go with Bootcamp...unless you absolutely need to run both at once.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Janice

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »

Skip Parallels and go with Bootcamp...unless you absolutely need to run both at once.

Yup. Thatd be the way to go.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
They run great.  Best computer I've ever owned.

+1

I've used Apple desk tops for over ten years, and have been sold for life.  However, depending on what you use a computer for, I'll freely admit they won't work for everyone.