Author Topic: adieu to library computer  (Read 3188 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
adieu to library computer
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »
In a few hours--it's early yet, and I've got that "hangover" feeling from yesterday, April 15, plus the cat litter boxes need changed--I'll be switching to a different computer. 

It's not a matter of just shoving the old computer off the table and setting up the new one; one has to cat-proof everything first.  And the cats are not going to be happy; they used to slumber atop the CPU (central processing unit), which was wide enough for that, but this new CPU is about as thick as a deck of cards standing upright, no room for cats to slumber on top.

I have been told I can lay the CPU flat, but that would take up too much room.

In one way, I'm going to miss the old library computer; it's been a nuisance because one couldn't save anything, the whole thing reverting back to its original settings every time it was turned off--but on the flip side of that coin, it also meant that viruses and worms and condom horses and stuff were automatically erased too.

Nor will I miss Windows98.

In case anyone is wondering, with Windows98, conservativecave comes up light blue and medium brown, and the avatars are not visible.  And I'm still looking for the "start new topic" button that's ostensibly on another web-site, but Windows98 hasn't been showing it to me.

This library computer: Windows98, IE6, 27.9 GB HD, 126.0 MB RAM.

The new computer: WindowsXP, IE8, 40 GB HD, 1.0 GB RAM.

I still have no idea what RAM is, other than "random access memory," and why it's important.

One of the irksome things about the library computer was Skins's island--if I clicked on a link from here to there, it would connect.....but if I tried going somewhere else on Skins's island from that link, up would come the "error" message and down would go the computer. 

On the other hand, I could roam at will on Skins's island if I just opened a new window, and typed in the proper http stuff in the address bar.

And I had to type the thing; I could not save "favorites."

I imagine this new computer is going to make exploring Skins's island a lot easier.

Another irritant has been the inability to access certain web-sites, most particularly those about the weather, and those from television stations.  It appears the more whistles and toys and bells and bright lights a web-site has, the less Windows98 is able to accomodate it.  This hindered me especially when doing the "live threads" on the primary elections earlier this year; I couldn't do hardly a damned thing.

Now, I don't do the music and movies and youtube thing--for obvious reasons--nor do I save a whole lot of things (I still prefer photographs to be kept in ink on paper, and carefully categorized in albums), so I'm assuming the 40 GB HD is much more than adequate.

Also, I'll be able to hook up a Kodak scanner/printer/copier gotten two years ago, but never used.  I had gotten it about the same time my former computer crashed, and remember I could not download anything new on the old library computer (unless I was willling to download it every time I turned it on; but when I turned it off, it would evaporate).

I shared with another member here the specifications of the monitors I have here, as to me a monitor is a monitor is a monitor.  As with keyboards and mouses, I "stockpile" accessories, even in mid-summer aware of the winter, when it is rather, uh, difficult to get out to get something if something goes wrong with what one has.

Apparently I have a "Cadillac" of monitors, but it was in the closet; I'll use that one with the new computer.

We'll see how it goes; as with other computers in other times, I'll keep the old library CPU on "reserve," in case something ever goes wrong with the new CPU. 

I know, I know; used computers always pose a risk, but on the whole, I've found it somewhat less expensive just to get a new used one when the old one goes bad (or in this case, is inadequate); I used to do the same thing with IBM Selectric II typewriters, buying them at Nebraska state auctions for two or three bucks apiece, and then using them until they burned out, after which I tossed them and plugged in another spare one.

I grieve when I think about how much paperwork this life has put out.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: adieu to library computer
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »
Congratulations on your newest addition.  Takes a while to get used to something new, especially when you have had the old for so long, but soon, you will be zipping around with your new machine and it will become your favorite. 

I replaced my laptop that had Windows 98 on it, last year.  That's rough.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »
Sounds like anyone would have hated the old computer.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »
I still have no idea what RAM is, other than "random access memory," and why it's important.

RAM provides the computer with the means to do work within it'self. More RAM, more complex work (computations) that can be done. I run 3 gigs in my computer and I'll probably add 1G more. The old machine(library) with Win 98 could not use more than 500mb, it was a problem with Win 98. With XP you are only limited by what the motherboard will handle.
The 40G HD is a bit small, but is probably fine for your needs.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:46:31 AM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »
RAM provides the computer with the means to do work within it'self. More RAM, more complex work (computations) that can be done. I run 3 gigs in my computer and I'll probably add 1G more. The old machine(library) with Win 98 could not use more than 500MB, it was a problem with Win 98. With XP you are only limited by what the motherboard will handle.

More RAM also increases the "speed" that the user perceives various applications running and loading.........insufficient amounts of RAM force the computer to "cache" applications to the hard drive when they load and run (in essence using space on the hard drive to supplement the lack of memory) , slowing down operations considerably.......

My laptop has only 512 M of RAM, but my desktop (running XP) has 4 GB of RAM, and with a fast processor it is really quick......

Unfortunately this laptop is old, and "maxed out" at 512 Meg.......I wish it could be upgraded, but alas, Dell screwed the pooch on that.......it is great for portability though.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:20:31 AM »
RAM provides the computer with the means to do work within it'self. More RAM, more complex work (computations) that can be done. I run 3 gigs in my computer and I'll probably add 1G more. The old machine(library) with Win 98 could not use more than 500mb, it was a problem with Win 98. With XP you are only limited by what the motherboard will handle.

From what I understand, XP will only handle 3.5 GB. I could be mistaken. Upon research, I found this: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Frank, don't forget to clear your temp files, temp internet files and cookies upon occasion. Otherwise that 40 GB hard drive will fill up faster than you think.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
From what I understand, XP will only handle 3.5 GB. I could be mistaken. Upon research, I found this: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Frank, don't forget to clear your temp files, temp internet files and cookies upon occasion. Otherwise that 40 GB hard drive will fill up faster than you think.

I installed "CCCleaner" for him to use for that purpose.......

doc
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:29:58 AM by TVDOC »