Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Windows 7
« on: March 27, 2010, 10:10:17 AM »
OK, I got Windows 7 and installed it on Mrs. Eupher's computer. I was impressed, BUT, that computer is up to date, technology-wise. I have acquired a copy of Windows 7 for myself and installed it over XP on a PC with a 1.4 GHz Athlon, 2 GB  PC 533 RAM and a 20 GB hard drive on the master. It ate up the remaining 11 GB by the time I was done. I also noticed some really slow internet speeds (~2 Mbps) when my other PC which has XP on it is getting ~5 Mbps. I wasn't impressed. After a few tweaks, I was able to bring the W7 PC up to ~4 Mbps. I also noticed my processor being utilized almost 100%. I found the culprit, some windows media networking program, and disabled it through the administrative tools and "services". All in all, it seems more efficient at RAM usage as my RAM usage rarely got over 40% (I have 2 GB of RAM on the W7PC).

I received a new PATA hard drive (169 GB, 7200 RPM, 8MB buffer) and reinstalled W7 as a fresh install. The install went fairly smooth but it hung at the "finalizing Windows" prompt. I said F it and rebooted. Windows 7 came up, no problem. When I went to look for my storage drive, a SATA 750 GB drive), it wasn't there. My heart leapt for a second. I then went into the Administrative tools, computer management, drive management and it showed it there, but it didn't really recognize the drive and showed it as a "foreign disk". There was an option to "import foreign disks", so I did that. I went back to MY Computer and checked to see if it was there and it was. Everything was happy. With a fresh install, I'm downloading at 5+Mbps after disabling IPv6 in the network adapter properties. I DO have a monitor resolution problem. I can't get the full 1600 x 900 that everything's capable of.

All in all, it's not DRASTICALLY different than XP, except that things have been moved around and a little bit different GUI. What I have noticed is that it's WAY more efficient and a lot quicker at boot time and with running programs, even on this old dinosaur of a computer. I only have one incompatibility issue which is minor, IMO, and that is with the Creative Game Port. I had it fixed before, so I need to get back on the Creative site and figure it out.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »
IMO, and that is with the Creative Game Port. I had it fixed before, so I need to get back on the Creative site and figure it out.

Is that anything like setting up "port forwarding" for a bit torrent program?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »
Is that anything like setting up "port forwarding" for a bit torrent program?

NO, it's just a game port, one like where a person would connect some sort of game controller.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 05:01:30 PM »
NO, it's just a game port, one like where a person would connect some sort of game controller.

Oh.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »
Since I don't do any PC gaming, the game port is really unimportant. I still created a trouble ticket at Creative Labs.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
Windows 7 was MY idea;

:lmao:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline bkg

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:43:18 AM »
did you do an in-place upgrade?

If so - re-do it and go 64 bit. I've not been happy with any upgrades that I've done.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 11:49:13 AM »
did you do an in-place upgrade?

If so - re-do it and go 64 bit. I've not been happy with any upgrades that I've done.

Don't have a 64 bit processor yet. That's in the works. The first time I installed on my PC, I overwrote the XP files. Several things didn't happen as they did with my first experience with W7 (Eupher's wife's PC). I ordered a new hard drive from 3bTech, installed it and installed W7, clean. It worked like my first experience. The odd thing is that apparently W7 formats on the fly. (?) It never once asked to format the new drive.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:45 AM »
I have a four PC network (one is a laptop). I decided to wipe a hard drive that had a bunch of duplicate music files and install W7 as a secondary OS on another computer. The install  didn't go as cleanly as I had expected and when the first install of W7 on this computer happened, there was something drastically wrong. I got the taskbar, start menu and all of the icons, but the background was black. Every time I clicked on an icon, the start menu, etc, more of the screen would turn black and I couldn't read what popped up. That suggested to me that the video card drivers didn't install correctly. I wiped the hard drive, re-installed W7 and everything went smoothly and worked properly with the 2nd install.

Now, I found W7 networking (I probably should say "file sharing") to be somewhat painful. (I've only been using it a couple or three days) The first computer that got W7 installed networked fine, saw all of the other computers and shared files right well. The problem came into play when I installed W7 on the second computer. W7 requires other W7 computers to be part of a "Homegroup". That homegroup  requires a password, generated by the computer creating the homegroup. No problem. Not knowing this "homegroup" stuff, I inadvertently created a homegroup on the 2nd W7 PC, too. Also, because of some pathetically slow internet speeds on the first PC, I found that disabling IPv6 would help the speeds. Well, that may be, BUT.......... the W7 computers won't network if IPv6 is disabled. I could see the other computer, but couldn't connect to it. More research. I found that even though I had shared the hard drive, W7 will only allow "folders" to be shared, much unlike 95 through XP. (I was trying to share the music and some programs on the one PC with the 2nd PC.) I had copied each "album" into it's own folder on a slave drive. With XP, this was not a problem. I just shared the entire drive, et voila, ALL of the folders on the shared drive were available to the network. W7 won't allow a person to share an entire drive, as part of that drive contains the root. One can't share root  on ANY W7 drive, master, slave, etc. So, I finally figured out that I needed to share the folder with the network. Well, that posed a major problem, as I had some 800 music folders. So, being the innovative person I am, I figured that I would create a "music" folder, and move ALL of the music into that folder. Once I shared the "Music" folder, I moved a couple of albums (in their own folder) into the "music" folder and tested. Sure enough, I could now see and access the subfolders through the 2nd PC. I then proceeded to copy the remaining 798+ separate music folders into the main music folder. Things are now set up  so that the 2nd PC can access ALL of the music on the 1st W7 PC. I then performed a similar action for some other downloads I had (program files). Now that I've figured it out, everything is relatively happy. That said, it was still a major PITA to get the two W7 PCs networked and communicating to each other.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:35:50 AM »
I have a question since you got that figured out.  When you talk about sharing program files, do you mean running the program on a different  computer other than the one it's installed on?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:08:58 AM »
I have a question since you got that figured out.  When you talk about sharing program files, do you mean running the program on a different  computer other than the one it's installed on?

well, I installed Office 2007 from another PC. I didn't try to run the program from that PC.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:59:16 AM »
well, I installed Office 2007 from another PC. I didn't try to run the program from that PC.

Okay, I see.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:55:05 AM »
I tried running an app that I only have on one PC on the other. It worked just fine. The sharing thing comes into play, though. If the folder the app is in isn't shared, then there won't be access to that folder or app.

Offline bkg

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
HomeGroup is friggen awesome... not necessary, but awesome.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 02:10:49 PM »
Honestly, I liked the way XP networked. Share the drive or folder, insure same workgroup, et voila, access. Windows 7 is pretty cumbersome, but I realize that this adds some security.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »
Honestly, I liked the way XP networked. Share the drive or folder, insure same workgroup, et voila, access. Windows 7 is pretty cumbersome, but I realize that this adds some security.

I have 4 computers networked 2 with XP, 1 with Vista, and 1 with W7. It was a pain adding the W7 computer to the existing network.

Offline bkg

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »

same functionality still exists... can still share the same way. But HomeGroup is easier. It was TOTALLY my idea.  :tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 02:46:05 PM »
I have 4 computers networked 2 with XP, 1 with Vista, and 1 with W7. It was a pain adding the W7 computer to the existing network.

When I built the first W7 PC, it found the network and could access files on both of my XP PCs without any problem whatsoever. That said, I didn't try accessing files on the W7 PC from the XP PCs.

same functionality still exists... can still share the same way. But HomeGroup is easier. It was TOTALLY my idea.  :tongue:

Not true, at least what I'm experiencing. I insured the same workgroup, shared my slave drive (the entire drive) and neither could access each other. I created a homegroup, copied the password, joined the homegroup with the 2nd W7 PC and no joy. I couldn't access anything.

IN XP, if one shares an entire drive, that entire drive is accessible. In W7, it doesn't allow one access to the entire drive. (Something about root can't be shared) Once the folders are shared, then they'll be able to access each other if the permissions are set properly. Like I said before, this adds some security, but is more a PITA than XP. (I never really played with Vista, so I can't even discuss how it networks)

OH and I absolutely loathe the fact that permission has to be given each time some programs are run or they have to be "run as administrator". Once a program is allowed to run, it should retain those permissions. Unless I set the program permissions to allow ALL, then it's always asking. I wouldn't want to allow all because that could generate some problems.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:48:37 PM by Thor »

Offline bkg

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »

Not true, at least what I'm experiencing. I insured the same workgroup, shared my slave drive (the entire drive) and neither could access each other. I created a homegroup, copied the password, joined the homegroup with the 2nd W7 PC and no joy. I couldn't access anything.

IN XP, if one shares an entire drive, that entire drive is accessible. In W7, it doesn't allow one access to the entire drive. (Something about root can't be shared) Once the folders are shared, then they'll be able to access each other if the permissions are set properly. Like I said before, this adds some security, but is more a PITA than XP. (I never really played with Vista, so I can't even discuss how it networks)

OH and I absolutely loathe the fact that permission has to be given each time some programs are run or they have to be "run as administrator". Once a program is allowed to run, it should retain those permissions. Unless I set the program permissions to allow ALL, then it's always asking. I wouldn't want to allow all because that could generate some problems.

Should be user error on all counts. You can white-list an application - built in.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 04:17:37 PM »
I won't argue that. However, I haven't seen that option anywhere.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »
BTW, bkg, feel free to come down off of your pedestal and let some of us novice W7 users know some tips and tricks....

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 04:08:01 PM »
Should be user error on all counts. You can white-list an application - built in.

Without totally turning off UAC, there are several programs that seem to always require permission to run on my setup. I kind of like the UAC, even though I have a good AV and firewall.

For y'all's info: I booted up in XP and tried to connect to my W7 PC with it. It would connect, but I couldn't access the files. It kept prompting me for a login. Looking around the web, I discovered that if I turned off the Homegroup password requirement (Homegroup: view homegroup settings: change advanced sharing settings: and choose "turn off password protected sharing". Once I did that, the XP computer could access the various shared folders.