Author Topic: TR/CRACK.ZPACK.GEN  (Read 4764 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
TR/CRACK.ZPACK.GEN
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:58:51 PM »
Folks, I got this virus, apparently through Nexus Radio, one of my favorite free radio programs. It's kicked my ass for the last few days, but...... I'm making progress. AVG Free failed miserably in stopping this virus/ trojan.

Symptoms:

IE and Firefox severely affected. Won't connect to the internet. They just shut down. Firefox gives me some error message and tries to restart, with no luck. IE just closes down

Some Device Manager Program keeps popping up with and error.

Malware and other detection programs won't install.

I usually keep all of my folders visible and unhidden, including system folders. They are hidden and won't Unhide.

GPEDIT & Regedit are disabled.

NOTHING  will remove it.

Solution appears to be :

Move hard drive to another PC that has working anti-malware programs and a GODD anti-virus as a slave drive and run the av and anti malware programs through the good computer. Problem is: must have TWO computers to do this.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: TR/CRACK.ZPACK.GEN
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:20:47 PM »
 :confused: the only part of that I understood was that your computer has a virus.

Mine's been doing some weird thing that has to do with my "winsock".....I thought that was one of those things that blow at the beach to let you know what way the wind's blowing.... :clueless:

(yes, I know that it's a "windsock" that blows in the wind .....and it's "winsock" with my Windows program, which I have no clue what it is...)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
BTW, the Google Chrome Browser was generally unaffected by this virus, but it's pretty lame as a browser. NONE of the free online scans will work with Google Chrome.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:35:29 PM »
Update: I have the hard drive cleaned. It's gone through a couple of free online scans and come out clean from them. It appears that between Malwarebytes & the free trial of Panda, I've gotten rid of the crap. I'm about ready to reinstall the disinfected hard drive back into it's original home for testing. I'll let y'all know if my procedures worked.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:51:43 PM »
Update: I have the hard drive cleaned. It's gone through a couple of free online scans and come out clean from them. It appears that between Malwarebytes & the free trial of Panda, I've gotten rid of the crap. I'm about ready to reinstall the disinfected hard drive back into it's original home for testing. I'll let y'all know if my procedures worked.

From what I could find out about TR/CRACK.ZPACK.GEN, it's a trojan. I may go overboard on internet security, but I have McAfee AV, (it's free from Comcrap Cable), but I also have AdAware, Spybot S&D, and Windows Defender all installed. They all offer some form of real time protection. I do quite a bit of downloading, and so far haven't caught any bugs.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »
So far, as I can determine, I still have remnants of it left, probably registry entries. Removing it destroyed my network card drivers and Linksys no longer has them available. I MAY have to get a new NIC if the windows repair installation doesn't correct the problem. Firefox and IE seem to want to work properly now, but no connection because of the missing/ corrupted NIC drivers. FYI, it's an LNE100TX version4 card. Every driver I've found won't work.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »
So far, as I can determine, I still have remnants of it left, probably registry entries. Removing it destroyed my network card drivers and Linksys no longer has them available. I MAY have to get a new NIC if the windows repair installation doesn't correct the problem. Firefox and IE seem to want to work properly now, but no connection because of the missing/ corrupted NIC drivers. FYI, it's an LNE100TX version4 card. Every driver I've found won't work.

Have you tried going into the "device manager" and attempting to roll back the driver?
Did you try the driver from CNet?
Have you tried doing a system restore back to before you got the virus?

I'm just throwing out some things I've tried when having problems.  I noticed that Linksys only lists a version 1 for the card. Strange that they don't support later cards.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »
I tried a system restore before I got rid of the virus, no joy. It disabled the system restore, along with a great many other things. I tried letting Windows reinstall the NIC drivers, again, no joy. All of the drivers I found wouldn't work with XP. Yeah, I even Live Chatted with a Linksys rep. Even he couldn't find any usable drivers for me. It's a good thing that I have several computers. I'm javing to reinstall windows at the moment, but my installation CD is giving me grief. Hopefully, a good cleaning has resolved the problem with that. Other wise, I'll be needing to find a Windows XP SP2 CD.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »
There is always downloading XP with SP2 using bit torrent.  It wouldn't be illegal if you have the Microsoft product key.  :uhsure:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »
I've never had much luck with the torrent files. Even so, many cds are keyed into a particular product key, which makes it PITA.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
I don't know about other brands, but with Dells, I've used the Operating System disk from one computer on another, even though they weren't the same models.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »
I don't know about other brands, but with Dells, I've used the Operating System disk from one computer on another, even though they weren't the same models.

Yeah, Dell CDs will work with other Dells, so I've been told. Fortunately, I built this computer myself.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »
Yeah, Dell CDs will work with other Dells, so I've been told. Fortunately, I built this computer myself.

I assume that means that you have the retail version disk of WinXP?  From what I could find on the Microsoft forums, your product key should work with another disk as long as they are both the same XP version. 

I've had good luck with torrents so far.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »
I assume that means that you have the retail version disk of WinXP?  From what I could find on the Microsoft forums, your product key should work with another disk as long as they are both the same XP version. 

I've had good luck with torrents so far.

Yeah, that's what some folks say, but my experience tells me otherwise. I have several product keys for XP Pro/ SP2. Only one seems to work with the CD I have. I've experienced that with other installs of XP Pro/ SP2 as I maintained my ex-wife's office network.

I don't know what it is, but every time I download a torrent, it never seems to work. I get error messages, etc. after I burn the iso file to cd and try to install it. They TRY to install, but will get partially through the install and error out.