Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT FROM ASHER HEIMER--, er, franksolich  (Read 5445 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM ASHER HEIMER--, er, franksolich
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
Okay, after months of dicking around, I finally got the new used computer last night (Saturday night).  It traveled 250 miles, but was still short 130 miles of being here, where it belongs, until last night.

It at least superficially looks pretty sharp.

However, since I'm busy today, I'm going to wait until tomorrow (Monday) to see what's all on it.

I'm really appreciative of having had this old library computer, which proved adequate, but it's going to be nice to wave "goodbye" to Windows98.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT FROM ASHER HEIMER--, er, franksolich
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:43:53 AM »
Gird your loins, everyone!  Frank's moving into the 21st century!   :innocent:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
Oh dear Lord, what next?  Cable modem?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 09:10:10 AM »
Okay, after months of dicking around, I finally got the new used computer last night (Saturday night).  It traveled 250 miles, but was still short 130 miles of being here, where it belongs, until last night.

It at least superficially looks pretty sharp.

However, since I'm busy today, I'm going to wait until tomorrow (Monday) to see what's all on it.

I'm really appreciative of having had this old library computer, which proved adequate, but it's going to be nice to wave "goodbye" to Windows98.

frank do you know the specs on the new one?  Processor speed memory etc?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »
Gird your loins, everyone!  Frank's moving into the 21st century!   :innocent:

Don't get too excited...he's only moving up to Windows ME  :rotf:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
frank do you know the specs on the new one?  Processor speed memory etc?

I dunno yet.

As there exists a chance I might have to work tonight, substituting for someone, I haven't looked at it yet.  Probably sometime Monday.

Thor posted something one time that autopsizes the inner works of a computer, and so when I get around to setting it up, I'll run that, and send the specifications to any decent and civilized person who can, upon examining the details, tell me what it all means.

Remember, this is a used, reconditioned unit, not a brand-new one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 02:44:27 AM »
Glad you were able to get a newer unit.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 05:29:23 AM »
I dunno yet.

As there exists a chance I might have to work tonight, substituting for someone, I haven't looked at it yet.  Probably sometime Monday.

Thor posted something one time that autopsizes the inner works of a computer, and so when I get around to setting it up, I'll run that, and send the specifications to any decent and civilized person who can, upon examining the details, tell me what it all means.

Remember, this is a used, reconditioned unit, not a brand-new one.

you merely go to 'computer' or 'my computer' or 'system'.... oh never mind

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
Don't forget a GOOD anti-virus...... AVG  let me down, so nix that one. (I'll explain in another thread)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »
Don't forget a GOOD anti-virus...... AVG  let me down, so nix that one. (I'll explain in another thread)

Please do.  I am currently depending on AVG.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »

Yeah, sir, I do actually have the unit sitting right here, within three feet of me, but with all the time and trouble of connecting everything, I decided to wait until I ran it into the big city so the internet service provider could do their thing with it--saving me the cost of a service call to come way out here--before turning it on to see what's all there.

Plans are to do that first thing in the morning, Tuesday morning.

After that's all set up, first thing I plan on doing is personal-messaging you with the specifications or whatever, from that link you provided some time ago--the program that tells in intricate detail what's in a unit, more information than just the "My Computer" thing.  I think you know what I'm talking about.

Then you could take a look at that, and when convenient, tell me all I can do with it, and what to reasonably speculatively expect from it.  I'm sure you'll be happy to.  Sir.
apres moi, le deluge

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »

I downloaded AVG last night... is it not good enough?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
I took the thing into the big city today to be connected, but they're pretty busy today.

So I said having it done by mid-morning tomorrow (Wednesday) would work.

Sorry for the delay.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 11:02:35 AM »
I took the thing into the big city today to be connected, but they're pretty busy today.

So I said having it done by mid-morning tomorrow (Wednesday) would work.

Sorry for the delay.

Just a little suggestion, Frank. When you get this new computer up and running, keep the old computer for learning purposes.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
See my TR/CRACK.ZPACK.GEN thread. In short, NO. AVG is starting to suck. It doesn't block viruses or trojans any more. Avast seems to be pretty good for a free anti-virus. It's looking like if I want GOOD protection, I'm going to have to pay for it. I really don't have funds for that right now.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
See my TR/CRACK.ZPACK.GEN thread. In short, NO. AVG is starting to suck. It doesn't block viruses or trojans any more. Avast seems to be pretty good for a free anti-virus. It's looking like if I want GOOD protection, I'm going to have to pay for it. I really don't have funds for that right now.

my spysweeper has expired.... starting to get popups again ggrrr

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »
Malwarebytes. It's free and seems to do a good job at tracking down spyware, trojans & viruses.