Author Topic: Because the California Lockdown was so effective ... right? :GOP governor ends..  (Read 492 times)

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
https://democraticunderground.com/100215074337

GOP governor ends mask mandate, removes limits on businesses, placing state in danger of new surge

Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (60,975 posts)     Mon Feb 8, 2021, 09:40 PM

GOP governor ends mask mandate, removes limits on businesses, placing state in danger of new surge

As cases of COVID-19 began to surge again in the fall, no state went up more sharply than Iowa. Between the middle of October and the second week of November, the rate of new cases in the state increased by 500%, and all that was before Thanksgiving and the surge that hit most of the nation due to increased travel over the holiday period. Only Iowa didn’t see that holiday surge. There was a bump in cases at the start of November from those Thanksgiving dinners, and another in January that was timed just right to be the result of Christmas get togethers. But for the most part, cases in Iowa trended down from that mid-November peak, even as cases were continuing to grow over much of the nation.

Why did Iowa go down while other states were going up? As The Atlantic reports, the state benefited from a limited mask mandate, grudging put in place by Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds. Along with that mandate came fresh limits on public gatherings, and a renewal of some business restrictions. The state benefited more from stores and local governments that encouraged mask use. And finally Iowa may have benefited most of all from “fear”—the fear generated by a case count that moved it into the #7 position overall when it came to cases per capita, a wave of deaths that followed not far behind.

But on Friday, Gov. Reynolds stepped in front of cameras to issue an executive order that not only ends the mask mandate, but fully reopens bars and restaurants, removes other social distancing guidelines, and invites Iowans to pretend that the pandemic is over. It’s not.

As of this week, the average daily new cases in Iowa works out to about 29 people out of every 100,000 coming down with COVID-19 each day. That puts Iowa in as the 18th lowest state. It’s certainly an improvement from where the state was two months ago. However, it’s also a higher level of both new cases and deaths than where Iowa was just before cases exploded in the fall.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/6/2014361/-Iowa-Gov-Kim-Reynolds-ends-social-distancing-guidelines-despite-continued-high-cases-of-COVID-19

Iowa ranks just ahead of my state (Washington) in total cases of COVID. There have been 324,666 cases in Iowa, 323,947 in Washington. Population wise Washington is twice as large.

California has had pretty restrictive lockdowns since the beginning.... yet, there was still a massive surge here. So that leaves us 2 conclusions to choose from:

1. Lockdowns and restrictions don't work

2. People ignore them because they need to put food on the table, pay their rent etc...

I suppose a third option is possible;

Combination of 1 and 2.

Newsom is only relaxing some of restrictions now.... of course, as his recall election becomes more and more imminent.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:19:03 PM by franksolich »

Offline DLR Pyro

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

Cali-locked-down-fornia experienced the same December-January surge as every state, regardless of degree of lock-down. Regardless of the combination of the surge causes (Hello! Weather! "Covid Season"), Goobernor Noisome's lock-down did not prevent California being hit as badly or worse than other states.

Goobernor Noisome's November lock-down accomplished nothing. My opinion - I am not in any medical field - is that being tighter than many/most states in the spring and summer may have had the unintended effect of a larger unexposed population in fall and winter. Infected is infected, I get that, but fall-winter is hospitals' busy season in ordinary years. My opinion is that being tight in the summer worsened the fall-winter surge, resulting in the 2-3 weeks when CA hospitals experienced an overflow of patients (all patients and Covid patients).

I don't think I've commented here on the Noisome recall. The Magic Number is ~1.5 million valid signatures on petitions. California reality, for decades, is that signatures are checked and verified, and enough invalid signatures are tossed out that to be safe the recall people need at least 2.2M-2.5M signatures. Let me repeat to be clear, this has been the norm in California for decades, not any political party playing signature verification games. The recall people are well aware of this and have set their signature goal accordingly. From the news reports I've heard and given the March 17th deadline, I think the chances Noisome will face a recall election.

If there will be a recall election, the way things will work is that it will be a special election, probably in June, possibly in November of 2021. Californians will have two choices. The first is whether Noisome is thrown out of office. The second choice will be a slate of candidates to select a replacement if Noisome is thrown out.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
The state of Iowa had rather relaxed rules all along compared to the jack booted thug governors in many other states.  Most businesses were allowed to operate normally, outside of restaurants & bars along with some minimal restrictions for capacity for retail establishments.

The media and libs continue to spread the fear as if cases of the Wuhan Red Death equal actually dying.  Big Media has scared many otherwise rational thinking people into irrational behavior.  Cases certainly still remain, but the death rates have plummeted in Iowa and frankly were never high.  Compare with California or New York, where it has been a state of lockdown for nearly a year.  Their cases and death keep increasing.

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
The state of Iowa had rather relaxed rules all along compared to the jack booted thug governors in many other states.  Most businesses were allowed to operate normally, outside of restaurants & bars along with some minimal restrictions for capacity for retail establishments.

The media and libs continue to spread the fear as if cases of the Wuhan Red Death equal actually dying.  Big Media has scared many otherwise rational thinking people into irrational behavior.  Cases certainly still remain, but the death rates have plummeted in Iowa and frankly were never high.  Compare with California or New York, where it has been a state of lockdown for nearly a year.  Their cases and death keep increasing.

And it's still Trumps fault.  :thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.