Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 567200 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
I got the Black/Orange Jasper thread. I may as well just do the whole rod. I had to tighten up the ferrules using a tubing flaring tool. Just the part that holds the tubing. Worked great!

Pic of the rod ends. The varnish is quite darkened.

I love the action of this rod. Very nice.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 10:14:18 AM »
I made some killer banty's with 9ft South Bends.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
I made some killer banty's with 9ft South Bends.

Not this one.  It's the perfect rod for the rivers/creeks I fish here. HEH or E 8 1/2 footer. True 5 wt.    :hyper:

Now, I do know where I can get a 359 9 footer for 80 bucks, in really good condition.............
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
I built banty's out of a few 359's They're great! I sold one to a saltwater guide in Fla who keeps it on his boat rigged for snook! He loves it, lots of power!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Water temps hit 42 for awhile today. Western March Browns are beeing seen and the fish are taking them. Skwallas are almost done and the blue wings are just starting. Mild winter is going to make for some great spring fishing!

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 04:50:09 AM »
Floods and coffee water here like usual!  :mad:

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 09:43:09 AM »
Water temps hit 42 for awhile today. Western March Browns are beeing seen and the fish are taking them. Skwallas are almost done and the blue wings are just starting. Mild winter is going to make for some great spring fishing!

It sure is. I may go out again this weekend.
Still waiting for guides, CP, and other goodies so I can give the SB the re-do.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »
Took the Heddon out and got my first Trout on a grassstick.   :yahoo:

:cheersmate:

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »
 :cheersmate: nice!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »
Fantastic! And you reel from the correct side too!

River blew out 3 days ago, will be at least another two till is is fishable. May have to hit a spring creek.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 05:21:32 AM »
I just got another 6" snow!  :rant:

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
Gonna be near 80 this weekend.   :tongue:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »
Went up on the Feather again Yesterday. Took the SB 346. Damn, just damn. Makes my Sage 349 LL feel like a wet noodle. Amazing fly rod.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »
Went up on the Feather again Yesterday. Took the SB 346. Damn, just damn. Makes my Sage 349 LL feel like a wet noodle. Amazing fly rod.

Oh no! your in trouble!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »

Oh no! your in trouble!

:rofl:

Donno if I'll get any more "grass sticks" but that SB surprised the hell out of me. Heck, it wasn't even loaded up right. I was using a WF4F but it'll easily throw it 25-30 feet farther than the Sage. Mending, accuracy, etc, etc, was MUCH better, and it never ran out of power. The Sage will "fall apart" if I try to double haul too much line. It's a perfect match for my absolute fav. river to fish.   :cheersmate:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
The rod in question after a little "fixin"

Nearly all the wraps were "dry" and the mid section needed 2 guides replaced. With a little re-varnish, it came out nice.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »
A lot of those rods had the burnt strip! That tells me they wern't even glued up from the same clum! They had the taper down though didn't they.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »
A lot of those rods had the burnt strip! That tells me they wern't even glued up from the same clum! They had the taper down though didn't they.

I think so. The guy I bought it from said they were trying to compete with Grangers and the like.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »
Picking up a late 50's JW Young Beaudex 3 1/2". I gave up on trying to find a Pflueger 1495. Hell the Young is not much more than any of the Pfluegers I saw and is 3 X's the reel. Should be a great match for the SB. I'll do some pRon pics once I get it.   :-)

Those Youngs sure are purty:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
I took the kidlet fishing. I picked her up a mid 60's Shakespeare fly rod (Wonder Rod) for $5 at the 'Will. It's not too bad, and is good for learning. She actually hooked up with 3-4 fish, but didn't get the "strike" right and lost them.

Her being "silly":

The river is looking good. This time last year, it was un-fishable.

Here she is being a trooper. She's a good kid. Bitched at first, but is getting the idea that sometimes, the trip is worth more than the fishing. She actually said she enjoyed dad dragging her into the canyon from hell.    :hyper:

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2013, 11:49:02 PM »
gonna be a busy weekend at a local spring creek. A few freinds, and friends to be will be camping and fishing together. I'll take a few cane rods for folks to try. Some say I'm just a carrier of the bamboo fever. I just want to share it with all.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
gonna be a busy weekend at a local spring creek. A few freinds, and friends to be will be camping and fishing together. I'll take a few cane rods for folks to try. Some say I'm just a carrier of the bamboo fever. I just want to share it with all.

*likes this*

Mid ferrule (female) on the SB came loose, dammit, plus one tip broke right at the ferrule.  :argh: I'll get it fixed up soon. The tip will only lose about 3/4" with the repair so it should be OK. With the weather coporating, it's gonna be awesome on the river this weekend, and I want the rod ready.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:02:12 AM by Wineslob »

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »
Cats, I'm having trouble getting the ferrule (female) on the butt section off. It's "loose" as in it will slide up slightly from fishing the rod, but I can't get it to budge so I can re-glue it.  Ideas????  :???:

I'm also thinking of going to a larger stripper guide. The line doesn't slide as freely as I'd like. Think going to a larger one will help??

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:05 PM »
Did you try some heat? Not to much! Steam from a tea kettle works ok sometimes. Careful with an alcohol torch if that don't.

The ferrule could be pinned. A lot of them were and finished to hide the pin so you have to look close. If so you will have to punch it out.

Is the stripper nickel or agate? Nickel you could maybe polish to help. Larger can't hurt.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
The stripper is nickle, and REALLY small, but I may have an agate from a #14 Heddon (the "banty" rod). I'll look. Not sure if it is pinned, I'll take a close look at that too.