Author Topic: feline primitive has problem with credit card  (Read 1894 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
feline primitive has problem with credit card
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2826168

Oh my.

Despite the primaries, it does seem, really, as if credit cards are obsessing the primitives the past couple of days.

kitty44 (92 posts)      Wed Feb-06-08 03:03 PM
Original message

Credit Card collection tactics

I just had a really weird experience!

I had a credit card from a long time ago that I never used and completely forgot about. Apparently, there was some automatic withdrawal on it up until about last May or something (Gold's Gym?) - anyway, I never got a bill, and I completely forgot about it.

Well, this credit collection company just called me - NCO - obviously, from India - called me at WORK to tell me I needed to give them my bank routing number NOW so I could have this black mark removed from my credit record.

Well, I checked Equifax and it was legitimate, but I was surprised by the ATTACK DOG nature of this caller. I insisted that I get something in writing and wanted to send them a check. I asked that they fax over something. They kept saying NO. They needed a bank account or credit card # and I had to pay now. The amount was only for $320 or so.

Well, my credit is pretty good, but I'm shaken up by this. At one point, they called my boss, who had to say, "Raj is on the line for you, Laura."

The scary thing is they had my DOB and SSN and everything.

It makes me want to cancel all of my credit cards!

This is a brand-new bonfire, only one primitive there yet, but there'll be more.

ayeshahaqqiqa  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 03:04 PM
Response to Original message

1. I would if I were you still doesn't sound legit to me. Do you have a number where you can call the credit card company itself?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

Re: feline primitive has problem with credit card
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »
Didn't get a bill but the collection agency could find it?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:26:55 PM »
The scary thing is they had my DOB and SSN and everything.

OH!  That is scary.  I can't imagine where they would get that kind of deep secret personal information....unless they got it off the original credit card application.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
Its a scam. The last thing you do is give them what they want without proof in WRITING. Then call the Feds and seee if they would look into it.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »
Its a scam. The last thing you do is give them what they want without proof in WRITING. Then call the Feds and seee if they would look into it.

That's what I thought too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »
weirdly enough, we got a fake credit card call about two weeks ago.

the husband answered and this guy started telling him we had some debt we needed to pay, right now.

my husband said, "what is the debt regarding? what company?"

fake guy says, "remember when you were last at the dentist?"

husband says, "oh yeah! but we have insurance and dont put things like that on a credit card.."

*click* ... fake guy hung up.

even the fake credit card guys are lame these days..  :yawn: :whatever:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »
You know, that bonfire's grown, but only a couple of primitives have suggested it's a scam.

All the other primitives--and there's been a lot of them--are going on and on and on about the evil credit card companies, the evil debt collectors, and so on.

No primitive's blamed George Bush yet, but I'm sure that'll come.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
You know, that bonfire's grown, but only a couple of primitives have suggested it's a scam.

All the other primitives--and there's been a lot of them--are going on and on and on about the evil credit card companies, the evil debt collectors, and so on.

No primitive's blamed George Bush yet, but I'm sure that'll come.

The one the original DUmmie is talking about is not necessarily a scam. 

I had a credit card from a long time ago that I never used and completely forgot about. Apparently, there was some automatic withdrawal on it up until about last May or something (Gold's Gym?) - anyway, I never got a bill, and I completely forgot about it.......Well, I checked Equifax and it was legitimate
the DUmmie said.

While there are enough scams to go around, I'm sure this DUmmie left out some important information.  A debt collector offerring to accept a phone payment is not out of the ordinary, either.