Author Topic: eight regional foods no one knows about  (Read 5967 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
eight regional foods no one knows about
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2667998/posts

The whole article, with photographs, is on freerepublic, so no need to go further than that.

The chili snobs check in on the comments.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

Re: eight regional foods no one knows about
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »
Love Cincinatti Chili....don't know why it was called that, except that what the first guy who started the stores called it. There are three...Skyline, Gold Star and Empress. Kroger's now sells Skyline in a can. I prefer it on an all beef hot dog, with onions and cheddar cheese. It's not chili, by Texas standards. It just is what it is....it's good!

Had "Maid-rites" all the time as a kid, living in Iowa. Even my mom's cousin in central IL who owned an independent ice cream drive-in sold them. Browned hamburger with onions, salt and pepper...left to soak in all the grease. Then spooned out with a slotted spoon onto a soft hamburger bun and add mustard and pickle. All the little independent drive-ins or cafes had them on the menu.

Not a fan of benne wafers. But I'm not a fan of sesame seeds either.

Instead of "pasties", living in Omaha ... we had Runzas. I loooooove them. Browned ground beef, onion, chopped cabbage, and cheese baked in a pastry packet.  

Really like toasted or fried ravioli too. Gives me an idea for Sunday for football food!  :-)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »
 don't remember which company it is but there are toasted ravioli available in frozen foods sections at stores. They aren't bad for a quick snack.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »
I don't like Skyline 'chili'. Gross, gross, gross. I just have an iced tea when one of the kids gets a freebie coupon to that place. Chili shouldn't taste like allspice and it shouldn't be served over noodles. As for the comments about no beans in chili at freerepublic, I'll part ways with them there...the more beans the better! :-)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:13:30 PM »
I don't like Skyline 'chili'. Gross, gross, gross. I just have an iced tea when one of the kids gets a freebie coupon to that place. Chili shouldn't taste like allspice and it shouldn't be served over noodles. As for the comments about no beans in chili at freerepublic, I'll part ways with them there...the more beans the better! :-)

Ok, that's efff'd up.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:47:59 PM »
That is Yankee chili. Pasties are the bomb. That reminds me that I need to make up another batch of beef and potatoes ones soon.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
Beans don't belong in much of anything as far as I'm concerned.  :puke:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:52:02 PM »
That is Yankee chili. Pasties are the bomb. That reminds me that I need to make up another batch of beef and potatoes ones soon.

Pasties in the UP among the Finland's folk are hamburger, potato, parsnips, depending on the Cousin Jack cook, sometimes a bit of onion or carrot.  The best ones use lard in the crust and served with catchup.    True Fins will make this into a pie at home, but the miners did carry the hand held ones to work.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:51:18 AM »
Pasties in the UP among the Finland's folk are hamburger, potato, parsnips, depending on the Cousin Jack cook, sometimes a bit of onion or carrot.  The best ones use lard in the crust and served with catchup.    True Fins will make this into a pie at home, but the miners did carry the hand held ones to work.
Pasties are Awesome! Staple food of my childhood...Along with 5 bean chili with sausage and ground beef! :-) Btw vesta?....you forgot the rutabaga! :tongue:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:56:56 AM by Toastedturningtidelegs »
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:04:20 AM »
Chili packs!! Chili (with or without beans) over a small bag of Fritos then add on some cheese & onion......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:34:23 AM »
Pasties are Awesome! Staple food of my childhood...Along with 5 bean chili with sausage and ground beef! :-) Btw vesta?....you forgot the rutabaga! :tongue:

Did you ever have a pizza with --Mutgutter on it.??   Don't know how that is spelled ?-----a combo of ground beef and pork.

The UP was the first place I tasted French Fry's and gravy,  fried mushrooms, or Summer Sausage. somewhere around here I have a recipe for Finnish Pea Soup.

Here in Yankee Land I found the hot peppers filled with cream cheese deep fat fried, and the fried veggie plates with everything coated and delicious.     Coated fried baby carrots are grand.

One tradition from the old day is on the holidays in Boston Figs or Dates are filled with peanut butter and rolled in confectioners sugar.

Celery sticks filled with cream cheese /chives, sliced radishes with a thick  hard sugar coat.    Popcorn balls with molasses and corn syrup .

Apple pie with extra sharp Cheddar Cheese, Cinnamon Ice cream --Or Pumpkin pie flavor.

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »
Did you ever have a pizza with --Mutgutter on it.??   Don't know how that is spelled ?-----a combo of ground beef and pork.

The UP was the first place I tasted French Fry's and gravy,  fried mushrooms, or Summer Sausage. somewhere around here I have a recipe for Finnish Pea Soup.

Here in Yankee Land I found the hot peppers filled with cream cheese deep fat fried, and the fried veggie plates with everything coated and delicious.     Coated fried baby carrots are grand.

One tradition from the old day is on the holidays in Boston Figs or Dates are filled with peanut butter and rolled in confectioners sugar.

Celery sticks filled with cream cheese /chives, sliced radishes with a thick  hard sugar coat.    Popcorn balls with molasses and corn syrup .

Apple pie with extra sharp Cheddar Cheese, Cinnamon Ice cream --Or Pumpkin pie flavor.

At Christmas time, when I was little, my mother would make dates that were filled with fondant and then rolled in granulated sugar. She also made incredible divinity.

My mother was an incredible cook....with lots of old, old family recipes.  :drool:

My step mother threw out my mother's recipe box and old cookbooks.  :censored:

Offline JLO

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »

At Christmas time, when I was little, my mother would make dates that were filled with fondant and then rolled in granulated sugar. She also made incredible divinity.

My mother was an incredible cook....with lots of old, old family recipes.  :drool:

My step mother threw out my mother's recipe box and old cookbooks.  :censored:

Wow, that is unthinkable she did that!  I'd never be able to forgive and forget that  :argh:

Why did she?
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline debk

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »

Wow, that is unthinkable she did that!  I'd never be able to forgive and forget that  :argh:

Why did she?

She hated my mother.

She'd had an affair with my dad for 5 years....then married him 8 months after my mother was killed.

I had 3 original Barbies, all the clothers that Mattel made for them, and a ton my mother had made, also and 2 Ginny's and 2 Jill's (they were pre-Barbie). Every thing was in perfect condition - I LOVED my dolls!!  She packed up all the stuff and sent everything to her granddaughters. I have my Madame Alexander that I got as an infant, a babydoll and a bride doll...but that it.

I have few things that were my mother's. She got rid of most of it.  :censored:

Offline JLO

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 11:00:53 PM »
She hated my mother.

She'd had an affair with my dad for 5 years....then married him 8 months after my mother was killed.

I had 3 original Barbies, all the clothers that Mattel made for them, and a ton my mother had made, also and 2 Ginny's and 2 Jill's (they were pre-Barbie). Every thing was in perfect condition - I LOVED my dolls!!  She packed up all the stuff and sent everything to her granddaughters. I have my Madame Alexander that I got as an infant, a babydoll and a bride doll...but that it.

I have few things that were my mother's. She got rid of most of it.  :censored:

Just wow.  Well, I don't know her, so I'LL call her a Bitch from hell, for ya.  AND she married your dad? 

Wow, you hold your anger well, which always isn't a good thing, ya know?  You can vent anytime here or private. 

Sorry about your Mom.  If she had the patience to make those little Barbie clothes, you were loved for certain.  I still have a little doll quilt my Grandma made from that time.  It's very sentimental.  She made my doll clothes from her old dresses.  Gads, haven't thought of that in many years.  She didn't even have a sewing machine.  She was in her 80's when I was just small and hand-sewed everything.

My own Mom was a seamstress and made me learn how to make doll clothes myself.  Not a bad thing, but wish I had your memories of "Mom"  making mine.   :-)
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 07:38:50 AM »
No, no, no!  KY is represented by chicken; NO.  The KY Hot Brown should be on the list.  I've never seen it anywhere else and have never met anyone not from KY who knows what it is.  I don't eat it anymore, but I would defy anyone here to taste it and not say how scrumptious it is.  It's a KY (at least the central part) specialty and I'm really upset that it's the stupid chicken taking all the glory.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »
Where the hell is scrapple?

How can you even broach the topic of regional food without that Pennsylvania Dutch staple?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
We actually have good Pasties here in NJ.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »

How can you even broach the topic of regional food without that Pennsylvania Dutch staple?

My Husband and MIL love scrapple! 1 of the grocery stores here every so often gets some in so we load up on it, I don't like it though.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »

Hi5 Splash!  There's a butcher shop around the corner from me here in SJ that makes excellent scrapple!  For any out-of-towners who might find themselves in Philly and would like to try scrapple, I would suggest the Reading Terminal Market on 12th St. near the Convention Center.  Plenty of places to get good scrapple there . . .

LINK

I don't like Skyline 'chili'. Gross, gross, gross. I just have an iced tea when one of the kids gets a freebie coupon to that place. Chili shouldn't taste like allspice and it shouldn't be served over noodles.

There was a Skyline Chili in the town where I went to college and I remember walking into it because my native Ohioan friend raved about it and went "WTH is THIS mess????"  (Well, OK, I was polite and just said 'no thanks' but after we went back outside the place, I made the WTH comment!).  Watery "chili" overtop noodles is just wrong!  :o
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
We actually have good Pasties here in NJ.

Must be a North Jersey thing, Bally, I've never seen 'em down here.
Piney Power!!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 05:20:51 AM »
Lobster Pie,     Sauce is ----Flour, butter, heavy cream, dry sherry, lemon juice, an egg poured over chunks of lobster meat and baked, no crust.

Every place up here makes this different, some places just pour melted butter and lemon juice over lobster meat and top with buttered Ritz cracker crumbs and bake.     One can get scallops cooked this way also.

Ipswich fried clams with belly's.    Clams, whole, are soaked in salt water and very fine corn meal for 3 turns of the tide to clean out the grit and nasty stuff in their belly's.  Belly's come out clean as a whistle and plump.    Some use flour, some others a mixture of the fine ground corn meal to fry them in.

Steamed little neck clams using the belly cleaning method are heaven also.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 07:13:14 AM »
Steamed little neck clams using the belly cleaning method are heaven also.

Allen's Clam Bar on Rt. 9 in New Gretna (NJ) -- best steamed little neck clams down here, by the bucket:

Piney Power!!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:11 AM »
A few things I've run across in my day that never seem to expand much beyond the region they're in:

Hawaii: Plate lunch, particularly kahlua pork, teryaki beef, or hamburger steak (covered in gravy).  Always comes with 2 scoops rice and 1 scoop mac salad.

Southern California: Fish Tacos.  Rubios and Wahoos are the two big chains.

Midwest: Cheese curds--especially deep fried.  If you're ever at an A&W in Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota, get them.

West/South: Fry sauce.  Typically nothing more than ketchup/mayo mix, but try it on fries or tots sometime.

New England: Lobster rolls.  Nuff said.

East Coast: Bialys.  Egg cream.

Southwest: Handmade (REAL) tamales, carne adovada, sopapillas.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:06 AM »
Must be a North Jersey thing, Bally, I've never seen 'em down here.

We have a few ethnic places up here who've been in business for years, and that's what they make, it's really a treat, expensive though.