Author Topic: Best Barbecue  (Read 13318 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Best Barbecue
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
Cattleman's is good stuff.  Can you get that where you live? I don't know if I can get it in Chicago.

Haven't looked for it.  Best sauce in a jar I've had is that Bone Suckin' Sauce, but I haven't seen it here.  Guess I'll have to order some online.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2010, 12:50:33 PM »
Haven't looked for it.  Best sauce in a jar I've had is that Bone Suckin' Sauce, but I haven't seen it here.  Guess I'll have to order some online.

I think Pepper's of Key West carries that sauce. They ship and have wonderful stuff! I have been in their store many times, and shipped stuff home from there....www.peppersofkeywest.com

The Pepper Palace in Gatlingburg TN, may also. I try to go here everytime I go up to Gatlinburg. They have several stores, in different states,  and this is their website...www.pepperpalace.com

If you are ordering get some of the Roasted Pineapple & Habenero Dip which is incredible on cream cheese with crackers.....or on ham.  Or the Hot Peach & Apple Chutney...I sear pork tenderloin, then put in a baking dish with this over it...oh my!!!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:54:02 PM by debk »
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »
Eupher & Mrs. Eupher stopped back by and a good time was had by all. The brisket didn't turn out to MY expectations, but it was better than anything around here. I forgot that Mrs. Eupher is a Liberal.......  :o   :thatsright: They come in a little early and Fox News is blaring on the TV.  :lmao: :lmao:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »
:rofl:

Sounds like you had a good time.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline soleil

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »
My family lived in Memphis for a couple of years when I was a kid.  Our church smoked a pig on a spit every 4th of July and it was so good.  Then we moved to Texas and I discovered brisket. YUM.  I keep promising my friends that i'll make brisket for them, but I no one ever puts them on sale in Chicago. May just have to pay full price. 

Brisket is very good. BUT it has to be done right!!!!!!! Still, nothing beats bbq PORK ribs.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Stopped by a BBQ place last night in Calera, OK. That wasn't the worst I've had, but it sucked. I guess that's what I get for being lazy. It was way overpriced. One pork rib ( baby back) and about five slices of brisket. The sides I chose were fries and slaw. The rib was WAY oversmoked and the smokiness overrode any flavor the rib could have had. It was tender. The brisket wasn't smoked enough (barely even a "smoke ring") and was flavorless. The fries, well, let's just say that they need to learn to cook FF. They were single fried and greasy. The slaw was pretty good, but I'm pretty sure it was store-bought. $9.00 per plate (overpriced for what we got, IMO). Needless to say, we won't be going back there again. :(
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline JLO

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
Northern NC has some killer pulled pork.  Hamberger buns, the seasoned pork, slaw and that green hot sauce------YUMMMMMM.

I have to admit that Yankees have a problem with pork.  A small Black Church put up a stand at a town fair and I looked forward to getting some really good food.

Alas, the cooks were dyed in the wool Yankees, they were not from anywhere in the South and the food culture I remember just wasn't,t there.  Darn these folks had a problem cooking greens.

Food culture is not raciest, one just has to seek out that culture to get the best food,  uncorrupted by spices that were not used in the original receipt.

I cook my ribs Yankee style sort of with a bit of the south thrown in, takes 3 days.

Ribs the old fashioned kind with lots of bone that have been steamed for 20 minutes.   Cool and bring to room temperature and cover with sauce, Vacuum seal and into the freezer for 24 hours.

Early on the morning of a BBQ remove ribs and allow to defroast to cool, throw on hot grill  until the sauce becomes dark.

Chicken is a lot different,  steam chicken, skin on then, cool in fridge.  Place chicken skin side down into hot oil to crisp it up. cool in frig.  place marinade or sauce carefully into the side  of a vacuum bag and place chicken, flesh side into the sauce.  Freeze for 24 hours.  As with the ribs, allow the chicken to defroast to cool carefully remove from bag and grill first on fried skin side.--  The chicken will have the crust on top and the sauce on the bottom and into the flesh.

One can do pork chops this way. 

Well, I am from the north, so I cannot BBQ very well.  Best I've had was when I visited family in TX.

"Ribs the old fashioned kind with lots of bone that have been steamed for 20 minutes.   Cool and bring to room temperature and cover with sauce, Vacuum seal and into the freezer for 24 hours."

What does this do?  Does the vacuum seal just super penetrate the sauce into the meat, I wonder?  And freezing overnight?  What does that do?

Thanks for your ideas.   :cheersmate:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
Well, I am from the north, so I cannot BBQ very well.  Best I've had was when I visited family in TX.

"Ribs the old fashioned kind with lots of bone that have been steamed for 20 minutes.   Cool and bring to room temperature and cover with sauce, Vacuum seal and into the freezer for 24 hours."

What does this do?  Does the vacuum seal just super penetrate the sauce into the meat, I wonder?  And freezing overnight?  What does that do?

Thanks for your ideas.   :cheersmate:

Steaming is supposed to render out some of the fat. By doing that, I think that it causes flavor to be lost. Vacuum sealing causes the pores of the meat open open up and accept whatever marinade that the meat is in a little better and more quickly. Never heard of the freezing aspect.

When I was in MN on recruiting duty, there was a very good BBQ place on Lake St., just east of 35W. After I retired, I tried to find that place again and it had apparently been sold to a son and the son ran it into the ground. It was pretty good because in a land where the people think ketchup is a spice, they used REAL spices......

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
THAT'S NOT "BBQ" !!! The best BBQ I ever had was from a trailer located at the intersection of Hwy 82 and I-35. That was many years ago (circa 1980). That intersection has grown as has Gainesville, TX. Any more, I have to make my own BBQ because the other places just can't make it as well as I can. With my smoker, I can cook up some pretty tasty brisket.

I can vouch for that. Mrs E and I didn't leave hungry, either.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline JLO

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

It was pretty good because in a land where the people think ketchup is a spice, they used REAL spices......

Indeed!   :-)
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
I can vouch for that. Mrs E and I didn't leave hungry, either.

Thanks !!!   :-) :cheersmate:

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:27 PM »
Visited my folks in Midlothian (TX) over the 4th.  We had two briskets and both were delicious (mom's grilled and oven vs. my cousin's smoked on a smoker).  No question - the smoker version RULED!  He also smoked some beef and jalepeno cheese sausage. Those disappeared like a one egg pudding (as my mother likes to say).  We had cattleman's and sweet baby Ray's sauce. Both were very good.  

I think I've seen a post on this board about the Pioneer Woman's blog.  She has a recipe for cowboy nachos, where she uses brisket for the meat. My mom made these over Christmas, and man oh man, those were fantastic!  

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:17:31 PM by chitownchica »

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2010, 11:16:51 PM »
My cheap grill didn't survive my move to Chicago, so once I was here, I purchased a Weber Genesis. That's one of the best investments I've made in a long time. If anyone is in the grill market, take a look at this version. Grilling is fast and super easy. It's not cheap, but it's so worth it.  Here's a link to the S320 mode that I have:  http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_details.aspx?glid=2&mid=4

I still haven't made a brisket in Chicago.  However, a couple of weeks ago I bought skirt steak on sale at the local grocery. I had never cooked it before, but it turned out so well that I can't wait to make it again.  

I marinated the meat in lime juice, a bit of canola, cumin, salt, pepper, and Tony's chipotle seasoning I bought at Sam's. Only marinated for an hour due to my friend bringing the limes for margaritas. I didn't have any on hand so I had to wait for her to arrive.  I grilled the meat on high heat (500-600 f) for less than 10 minutes total (med-rare to med).  Covered w/ foil for 15 or so to let it rest.  Also cooked onions and red pepper in a grill basket, and made homemade corn torillas. Served w/ guacamole.  Ah- delicious Tex Mex fajitas in less than 30 minutes.

ETA: grill link and edit spelling. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:23:01 PM by chitownchica »

Offline debk

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2010, 11:21:38 PM »
My cheap grill didn't survive my move to Chicago, so once I was here, I purchased a Weber Genesis. That's one of the best investments I've made in a long time. If anyone is in the grill market, take a look at this version. Grilling is fast and super easy. It's not cheap, but it's so worth it.

I still haven't made a brisket in Chicago.  However, a couple of weeks ago I bought skirt steak on sale at the local grocery. I had never cooked it before, but it turned out so well that I can't wait to make it again. 

I marinated the meat in lime juice, a bit of canola, cumin, salt, pepper, and Tony's chipotle seasoning I bought at Sam's. Only marinated for an hour due to my friend bringing the limes for margaritas. I didn't have any on hand so I had to wait for her to arrive.  I grilled the meat on high heat (500-600 f) for less than 10 minutes total (med-rare to med).  Covered w/ foil for 15 or so to let it rest.  Also cooked onions and red pepper in a grill basket, and made homemade corn torillas. Served w/ guacamole.  Ah- delicious Tex Mex fajitas in less than 30 minutes. 

:drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2010, 11:23:51 PM »

:drool:

Let me know when/if you are in Chicago and I'll invite you over. Same goes for everyone else :)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »
Here's some baby backs I smoked recently over charcoal, hickory and cherry.

"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline JLO

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2010, 11:25:50 PM »
Here's some baby backs I smoked recently over charcoal, hickory and cherry.

Now, how yummy does THAT look--! 

Invite all of us next time, eh?

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
Now, how yummy does THAT look--! 

Invite all of us next time, eh?

The were pretty good. Not my best, though. They needed more dry rub. They were just a slight bit bland.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi