Author Topic: Best Barbecue  (Read 13366 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Best Barbecue
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »
When I do Brisket or ribs, I make my own rubs. When I do steaks, pork & Chicken, I just use Famous Dave's Steak & Burger seasoning, mainly because I'm lazy and it tastes pretty good. I don't care for his rib rub or chicken seasoning, though.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »
I use a Memphis-style rub for ribs, because that's what I like. For brisket, salt and pepper and that's it besides mesquite smoke.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 06:23:29 AM »
I use a Memphis-style rub for ribs, because that's what I like. For brisket, salt and pepper and that's it besides mesquite smoke.

Northern NC has some killer pulled pork.  Hamberger buns, the seasoned pork, slaw and that green hot sauce------YUMMMMMM.

I have to admit that Yankees have a problem with pork.  A small Black Church put up a stand at a town fair and I looked forward to getting some really good food.

Alas, the cooks were dyed in the wool Yankees, they were not from anywhere in the South and the food culture I remember just wasn't,t there.  Darn these folks had a problem cooking greens.

Food culture is not raciest, one just has to seek out that culture to get the best food,  uncorrupted by spices that were not used in the original receipt.

I cook my ribs Yankee style sort of with a bit of the south thrown in, takes 3 days.

Ribs the old fashioned kind with lots of bone that have been steamed for 20 minutes.   Cool and bring to room temperature and cover with sauce, Vacuum seal and into the freezer for 24 hours.

Early on the morning of a BBQ remove ribs and allow to defroast to cool, throw on hot grill  until the sauce becomes dark.

Chicken is a lot different,  steam chicken, skin on then, cool in fridge.  Place chicken skin side down into hot oil to crisp it up. cool in frig.  place marinade or sauce carefully into the side  of a vacuum bag and place chicken, flesh side into the sauce.  Freeze for 24 hours.  As with the ribs, allow the chicken to defroast to cool carefully remove from bag and grill first on fried skin side.--  The chicken will have the crust on top and the sauce on the bottom and into the flesh.

One can do pork chops this way. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »
The smoked prime rib at Cooper's in Llano is also very good.

Amen.

Cooper's BBQ in;

Llano, TX
Junction, TX and NOW
New Braunfels, TX

Just ate at Cooper's coming back from my annual motorcycle trip.  Saw the Cooper's in New Braunfels and almost fell off my bike!  I've eaten at the one in Junction riding to and from Big Bend but I've never eaten at the one in Llano.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »
We're SEVERELY off topic here. I'm going to start a new thread and split off some of the irrelevant conversations.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:26 AM »
There is no better bbq than how we cook it in Eastern NC, the dumbasses in the western part of the state suck donkey balls.

There is no need to try and compare bbq and bbq beef as they are pigs and cows in comparision. 

B's BBQ in Greenville is awesome, just get there early so you don't see the dreaded "We're OUT" sign.  Skylight Inn in Ayden, chopped pork on a bun with slaw or a bbq plate with cracklin cornbread...........that's the only choices.  Wilbur's in Goldsboro.....OMFG, it's good.  Moores in New Bern, damn good q and the trout plate is to die for.  Kings in Kinston and McCalls in Goldsboro/Clayton.  The pit in Raleigh, great ribs.

And our southern brethern and Mr. Earl Dukes in Orangeburg.........slap yo momma over that hash
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 08:18:39 AM »
Well, that settles it.  Guess I'll be making a slab of ribs today.

Dry Rub/Seasoning:
1/4 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup onion salt
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup annatto chile powder (or more paprika)
1/4 cup pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground celery seeds

Wet Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix the ingredients for Wet Sauce in small saucepan and heat on medium until just bubbling.

The recipe calls for St. Louis ribs, but I've used just about everything.

Prepare ribs as you normally would, trimming excess fat and removing or cutting membrane.  Rub seasoning on both sides.  Place bone side down in preheated BBQ/smoker at 230-250 degrees.  Baste with apple juice every hour for 4-5 hours or until ribs separate easily.

Baste the ribs during the last 30-40 minutes (I like kicking the temp up to 350 or so to get a good glaze on them) using the wet sauce, rolling the rack every 10 minutes or so.

Let ribs rest for 15 minutes, covered.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline soleil

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »
Memphis style BBQ. I grew up not too far from there, and I love it. NC style isn't too bad either.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 07:30:40 PM »
Memphis style BBQ. I grew up not too far from there, and I love it. NC style isn't too bad either.
:yum:

Offline kenth

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
There is no better bbq than how we cook it in Eastern NC, the dumbasses in the western part of the state suck donkey balls.

I don't know about eastern NC, but have to agree with you about western. Another reason I'm glad to be back in Oklahoma, the BBQ. Anyway, our entire time in north Georgia/western NC, we only found a couple of BBQ places that actually smoked. Those never got the rub or sauce right. The rest were crock pot pork butts with store BBQ sauce poured on at the end. Not good.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 12:05:38 AM »

My family lived in Memphis for a couple of years when I was a kid.  Our church smoked a pig on a spit every 4th of July and it was so good.  Then we moved to Texas and I discovered brisket. YUM.  I keep promising my friends that i'll make brisket for them, but I no one ever puts them on sale in Chicago. May just have to pay full price. 

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:38 AM »
My family lived in Memphis for a couple of years when I was a kid.  Our church smoked a pig on a spit every 4th of July and it was so good.  Then we moved to Texas and I discovered brisket. YUM.  I keep promising my friends that i'll make brisket for them, but I no one ever puts them on sale in Chicago. May just have to pay full price. 

oh yes.... brisket!

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 01:54:12 AM »
oh yes.... brisket!

Season it well, sear it on the grill and really get it cooking, then wrap in heavy duty foil and cook overnight at 200 degrees or so.  I may go brisket shopping tomorrow.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
Season it well, sear it on the grill and really get it cooking, then wrap in heavy duty foil and cook overnight at 200 degrees or so.  I may go brisket shopping tomorrow.

Blasphemer !!!

Speaking of brisket, I have one in the smoker, cooking low and slow, waiting for Eupher and his wife to get here from their trip to Austin, TX. One the menu today is BBQ (Smoked) Brisket, pinto beans, Tater salad, & either biscuits or cornbread (probably the latter), peach cobbler a la mode and plenty of iced tea to wash it all down with.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 09:32:53 AM »
Blasphemer !!!

Speaking of brisket, I have one in the smoker, cooking low and slow, waiting for Eupher and his wife to get here from their trip to Austin, TX. One the menu today is BBQ (Smoked) Brisket, pinto beans, Tater salad, & either biscuits or cornbread (probably the latter), peach cobbler a la mode and plenty of iced tea to wash it all down with.

Got any sauce to go with that brisket?  I'll be checking into flights later today.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
Yes, I do, but it's store bought. I forgot to get the ingredients to make my own, thinking they were already on hand. I chose a decent sauce, KC Masterpiece. Oh well. It'll do just fine.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
Yes, I do, but it's store bought. I forgot to get the ingredients to make my own, thinking they were already on hand. I chose a decent sauce, KC Masterpiece. Oh well. It'll do just fine.

Just don't let Eupher march around the yard with his tuba.  Scares the critters.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 10:18:13 AM »
Just don't let Eupher march around the yard with his tuba.  Scares the critters.

:lmao: :lmao:

I'm pretty sure that he didn't bring his tuba or euphonium with him....

I'm watching the smoke billowing out of the smoker right now. Another half an hour and I'm going to yank that brisket out so it can rest.

Offline debk

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »
Tell him and Mrs. M that I sent a hi! and a hug....

Y'all will have such fun!!!

Have you ever tried Montgomery Inn bbq sauce. It's a restaurant in Cincinnati, they sell their sauce through Kroger's. I always have some in the pantry. Weird as it sounds, it's great for dunkin' grilled cheese sandwiches.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »
There's one I've had called Bone Suckin Sauce I liked.  Pretty widely available too...but I wanna go HERE:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkMUU9tUqk[/youtube]

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
Blasphemer !!!

Awwwwww..........  Tell Euph I said he!  Was wondering where he went off to.  Good to see you are having the obligatory Cave Peach Cobbler.   :uhsure:  Have a great day!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »
lol

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 12:39:22 PM »
There's one I've had called Bone Suckin Sauce I liked.  Pretty widely available too...but I wanna go HERE:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkMUU9tUqk[/youtube]

I want to bring that man to my area.   What a hoot, this is what we lack on the seacoast,  a business like this.  However the setting for the restaurant should be changed a bit,

We Yankees who eat at the restaurants that are corporate --TGIF, Red Lobster etc. need a new experience.  The tourists from the south just may want some down home cookin for a change from what we have now.

Allans wayside furniture makes a fortune with their Unique advertising, when I bought a love seat from them I requested that the owner not deliver it wearing that bikini he wears in his ads.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 03:11:50 PM »
Blasphemer !!!

Ha! I know- people are attached to their smokers, and those make excellent BBQ! I won't deny it :).  No one has turned this one down though- ha.
We have beans, baked potatoes (another blasphemy), and slaw. 

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 03:12:47 PM »
Got any sauce to go with that brisket?  I'll be checking into flights later today.

Cattleman's is good stuff.  Can you get that where you live? I don't know if I can get it in Chicago.