Author Topic: Beer Reviews  (Read 26295 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Beer Reviews
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2011, 03:18:50 AM »
If you're ever around Texas, these are pretty good:
http://www.shiner.com/

The Shiner Black especially has a nice kick, and you never get a headache or a hangover from any of their beers. They taste like BEER, kind of like Samuel Adams, not that lite garbage. If you're ever around Shiner, TX, tour the brewery and drink free.  :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
Do you get Lazy Magnolia Beers where you are?  It's brewed in the Kill.  Their Southern Pecan Nut Brown ale is awesome.

Sam Adams has a deconstructed IPA 12 pack on limited release right now.  Two in the 12 are an IPA and the others are an IPA with only one type of hop.   It's been very interesting to taste the difference.

I haven't seen Lazy Magnolia around here.  Doesn't mean its not here, just I haven't seen it.  I'll have to go on a wild beer hunt for the Sam Adams......

I like the Shiner Commemorator.  Not thrilled with the black. 

Lots of good choices.  I need to make a Taco Mac run to see if any of these are there.....
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
I discovered a new beer this weekend also by Ale Asylum who also makes my roller derby favorite, Hopalcious. 

This one is called Contortor Porter and when I first tried it, I thought, it has a hint of chocolate. Then I read the label:

http://aleasylum.com/aboutus-info/brewerybeers/contorter-porter/]Our porter is dark in color yet soft on the palate. English chocolate malts give it a complex, rich flavor wrapped in a silky smooth finish.
Contorter Porter is available year round in six packs and on tap throughout the Madison and Milwaukee regions.

simulated label from website

Because of the unique flavor, I could imagine being over it very quickly if I drank it too often, but I think as an every-so-often this could be a nice change of pace.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
Hacker-Pschorr "Oktoberfest" Marzen

Nice clean drink that's typical German Marzen in color and body.  Clean finish with those profound hop notes. Excellent beer.

Overall Rating: 9.25
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
Hacker-Pschorr "Oktoberfest" Marzen

Nice clean drink that's typical German Marzen in color and body.  Clean finish with those profound hop notes. Excellent beer.

Overall Rating: 9.25

I will keep my eyes peeled for that OH. 

I had a new Unibroue last night that has become a favorite.  Ephemere.  Tastes like a mix between Champagne and Cider, but much more clean and sharp.  Very Green Apple, but with the Belgian kick. 

Overall Rating:  9.0
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
I will keep my eyes peeled for that OH. 

I bought two more 6-packs of it today. :cheers1:

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »
Lagunitas IPA.

OMG I found a new fave.   :drool:

This beer is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. The blend of hops is really outstanding. Mouth feel is also one of the best, being very, very smooth.

I've heard about this beer, but never bought it before. GET SOME.

:cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »
Lagunitas IPA.

OMG I found a new fave.   :drool:

This beer is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. The blend of hops is really outstanding. Mouth feel is also one of the best, being very, very smooth.

I've heard about this beer, but never bought it before. GET SOME.

:cheersmate:

Cool...I am a sucker for IPAs.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2011, 09:49:12 AM »
Cool...I am a sucker for IPAs.

Me Too.  Have I mentioned Saint Arnold's Lawnmower before?  I know it is a Kolsch, but it is super hoppy.  You might like it. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »
I've never tried an IPA but I bought some Snake Dog India Pale Ale last night.  $9.99 for a six pack.  Kinda pricey, but I think those were inflated liquor store prices.  The first mouthful is almost spicy and very robust.  The rest of the bottle is similar.  It has a very hearty flavor, almost like a dinner of pot roast and mashed potatoes with gravy. 

Out of five, I'd give it about a 4.  Tasty but definitely not something I would drink every day.  More of a holiday beer that you would bring as a gift.  It beats the hell out of Heineken.

7.1% abv
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:09:36 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »
If you guys like to indulge in an ale now & then you might like Genesee Cream Ale, "Genny Cream".
It's no high phalootin' micro brew, more of a girl next door sort of brew but not bad at all really and a six pack of 16 oz pounders is $5. Goes well with food like Buffalo chicken wings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesee_Cream_Ale

http://www.geneseecreamale.com/AmericanOriginal/

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline thundley4

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »
If you guys like to indulge in an ale now & then you might like Genesee Cream Ale, "Genny Cream".
It's no high phalootin' micro brew, more of a girl next door sort of brew but not bad at all really and a six pack of 16 oz pounders is $5. Goes well with food like Buffalo chicken wings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesee_Cream_Ale

http://www.geneseecreamale.com/AmericanOriginal/

I haven't had any of that since I was at the S8G plant in Ballston Spa.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »
I bought some of that once because it was dirt cheap.

I got what I paid for.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2011, 11:24:27 PM »

I got what I paid for.
:lmao: an acquired taste...

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline thundley4

« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »

I got what I paid for.

I found a solution to that problem.  Buy a six pack of decent tasting beer, then a bunch of the cheap stuff.  After the six pack, you don't care too much what the cheap beer tastes like.  :cheersmate:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »
I have a dream there'll come a day when all these hotshots'll stop actin' like they're too good for McRibs, cold ones, and rock n roll, you guys.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »
Anybody tried the Bud Light Platinum yet?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
No on the Bud Lights. I've decide to make Lone Star the official beer of my outdoor recreations.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »
I have a dream there'll come a day when all these hotshots'll stop actin' like they're too good for McRibs, cold ones, and rock n roll, you guys.

Which guys?  Have a keg of Red Seal IPA on tap right now.  I ain't drinking Bud, gives me a headache.  If I don't have much of a choice I will go for Miller Lite, or Shiner.  Never had a McRib, I like BBQ too much, but give me a Tabasco slim jim and some pork rinds and I am good!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »

Hi5 for the K-Money quote.  :rofl:

Feel like I could drink a million beers right now.