Author Topic: Beer Reviews  (Read 26310 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Beer Reviews
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »
This thread is intended for those of us at CC to avoid bad beer selections at the liquor store or bar via the past experiences of these beers by other posters.

The reviews should include a general sense of the overall impressions of the beer and, if willing, the more subtle aspects of the brew: flavor, body, head, aroma, aftertaste and companion foods that work well with it.

Finally, a numerical rating should be given to the brew (with "1" being the worst and "10" being the best) after the review has been completed.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:46:32 PM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Beer Reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
Awesome! :II:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
Well here's my review................

Beer Good

Only thing better than beer is bacon.............mmmmm Bacon flavored beer :hyper:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
Do not drink Fosters.

It's a blend of formaldehyde and sheep piss. The only reason we export it is because there aren't enough people here silly enough to actually drink the stuff.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
Do not drink Fosters.

It's a blend of formaldehyde and sheep piss. The only reason we export it is because there aren't enough people here silly enough to actually drink the stuff.  :-)

I remember very clearly when the U.S. Army would host the German/American Volksfest in Berlin.

The Berliners would line up for blocks to buy Budweiser and Miller beer in cans.

Now don't get me wrong - beer brewed in Berlin wasn't terribly good. Berliner Kindl was drinkable on tap, but barely; and Schultheiss tasted like vomit whether on tap, in cans or bottles. Charlottenburger Pilsener wasn't too bad, but the water was extremely hard in Berlin which, I guess, might explain the problem.

But for Germans to think that Americans know how to brew beer on a commercial basis always stunned me. Yeah, I know there are microbrews that are pretty good, but back in the Eighties there weren't a lot of those around.

Budweiser and Miller. God help me.  :p
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »
Do not drink Fosters.

Well, if you don't drink Fosters, what do you drink?  Please don't say Budweiser. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
They sell mixed drinks in a can down there.  How lucky can you be?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
Leinenkugel's Original

A nice lager with a metallic first initial drink. Pretty smooth afterward. A good "hot weather" beer.

Overall Score: 8

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »
Well, if you don't drink Fosters, what do you drink?  Please don't say Budweiser. 

Budweiser is swill.

If I'm not drinking home brewed beer I tend to favor either Tooheys Extra Dry or New , or Fourex (XXXX) Gold. I don't think they're exported.

Normally I just drink spirits - That you can get premixed ready to drink cans of them is really convenient when your mason jar runs dry a couple days before the fermenter stops.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »
Budweiser is swill.

If I'm not drinking home brewed beer I tend to favor either Tooheys Extra Dry or New , or Fourex (XXXX) Gold. I don't think they're exported.

Normally I just drink spirits - That you can get premixed ready to drink cans of them is really convenient when your mason jar runs dry a couple days before the fermenter stops.

Very interesting.  Are hops expensive down there?  They have gone up a bit here, and now seem to be getting more reasonable. 

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »
Very interesting.  Are hops expensive down there?  They have gone up a bit here, and now seem to be getting more reasonable. 

I just buy the "kit cans" from the supermarket / grocery store - or if I want something more exotic one of the brew shops in town.

I usually don't have an idle fermenter for beer - they're all in use making something that more closely resembles wine.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »

I can get Toohey's New at the liquor store down the street. I am just having trouble paying $11 for a sixer right now, though.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »
I'm a recent Blue Moon convert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Moon_(beer) although I pass on the orange garnish.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »
I'm a recent Blue Moon convert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Moon_(beer) although I pass on the orange garnish.

NO fruit in beer!   :-)

My current fave, although more so in the summertime is St. Arnold's Lawnmower.  It is a Kolsch, and quite refreshing. 

For Winter, I gravitate more towards Stouts and Porters.  I do like Smithwicks.

The Sierra Nevada Celebration this year was quite good as well.  But, Sierra Nevada never disappoints.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
NO fruit in beer!   :-)

My current fave, although more so in the summertime is St. Arnold's Lawnmower.  It is a Kolsch, and quite refreshing. 

For Winter, I gravitate more towards Stouts and Porters.  I do like Smithwicks.

The Sierra Nevada Celebration this year was quite good as well.  But, Sierra Nevada never disappoints.

Blue Moon is definitely a summer drink, I stick with Sam Adams or Sam Light in the winter.  Haven't tried Sierra Nevada yet.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »
Pacifico. Works well with seafood. Pleasant aroma, nice finish, small head. Amberish colored, not too sharp, pretty easy to drink 3 or 4 without noticing.

If I want to be snotty about beer I'll go get a Chimay.

But yeah, I'd have a few schooners of Fourex. And then pass out in the back of the local Diggers club. You guys make strong beer. Why is that?

Angst?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 08:52:44 AM »
Pacifico. Works well with seafood. Pleasant aroma, nice finish, small head. Amberish colored, not too sharp, pretty easy to drink 3 or 4 without noticing.

But yeah, I'd have a few schooners of Fourex. And then pass out in the back of the local Diggers club. You guys make strong beer. Why is that?

Angst?

Chimay Blue is pretty strong on its own. As it's a Belgian beer, it's a weird one anyway. The Belgians are renowned for weird beer.

And Stella Artois is rat piss.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »

Angst?

Pacifico is little more than "Tourista" beer.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 09:53:04 AM »
Leinenkugel's Original

A nice lager with a metallic first initial drink. Pretty smooth afterward. A good "hot weather" beer.

Overall Score: 8

After I got stationed in MN, I was introduced to a few good local beers. Leinenkugel's was one of them. That has to be one of my preferred American beers.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
Had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap at the New Year party......................yum........ :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »
Had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap at the New Year party......................yum........ :cheersmate:

The Sierra Nevada Celebration is a holiday beer, and is always yum.  You are in CA, so you shouldn't have much problem liking it.  St. Arnolds, out of Houston is my favorite state micro brew, not a fan of Shiner.  Sierra Nevada, and Fat Tire are my secondary choices.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »
Pacifico is little more than "Tourista" beer.

Pretty much ALL Mexican beer is "tourista" beer--aka goat piss.

Depends on the mood, kids:

Summer--Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, or Red Hook ESB.

Fall--Sam Adams Oktoberfest.  Nuff said.

Winter--Red Hook Winterhook or Moat Mountain Apfel Bier.

Spring--Red Hook Copperhook (can you tell I like Red Hook?)

Anytime--Arrogant Bastard Ale.  22 oz bottles, 7.5 percent alcohol.  Guiness.  A few Smuttynose brews on tap.

In a pinch when I don't want the local formaldehyde in a bottle:

China--TsingTao or Carlsberg.
Japan--Kirin Ichiban, Sapporo if they don't have Kirin.
Guam--Nothing.  Sitting on a 100-degree dock for two weeks turns it ALL to piss.
Singapore--Tiger, but not much at S$40 a "jug".
Australia--XXXX okay, but I liked Toohey's better.  Didn't mind Victoria Bitter either (sorry, LC.)
Thailand--Kloster.  Singha gives me a MONSTER headache.
Phillipines--San Miguel, 24 flavors per case, baby!
Europe--Guiness, Smithwicks, and last time I was in London I had a Kronenburg "White" ale that had an apricot flavor to it.  Freakin. AWESOME.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Sam Adams Oktoberfest is okay. I prefer the Irish Red. Actually has that heartier that flavor that the Oktoberfest tries to produce, IMO.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 10:49:55 PM »
Sapporo is Budweiser.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that A-B couldn't get the rights to sell it in Japan unless they allowed a Japanese company to brew, bottle, and sell it for them.

The 'unofficial' biography of the Anheuser Busch dynasty is an interesting read.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.