Author Topic: A worthy opponent for Obama  (Read 735 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
A worthy opponent for Obama
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:07:13 PM »

One of the favourite maxims of the Bill Clinton war-room was: “Speed kills.” If so, has there ever been a more politically lethal response to an incoming President than the book that just landed on my desk? Welcome to Obamaland: I have Seen Your Future and It doesn’t Work (Regnery) is by our very own James Delingpole, who unveiled some of the book’s arguments in last week’s magazine cover piece. At the time of posting, that article has already attracted 116 comments, which is some measure of the nerve James has struck in his argument that Obama is (among other things) Blair Redux, a white liberal rather than a black statesman. Behind the saccharine consensus lurks all sorts of division, doubt and anxiety.

Now you might argue that this is all a bit premature, a bit previous as they used to say. Give the guy a chance, and all that. Dull would he be of soul etc. But, wading through the paddy fields of gush in today’s papers, and watching the round-the-clock Obamamania, was there not a part of you – perhaps a large part – that felt uneasy at the unanimity of it all, the rush of the herd towards a messianic figure of whom we know next to nothing? I mean, this is not Live Aid is it?
http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/3275026/a-worthy-opponent-for-obama.thtml

On the eve of Barack Obama’s inauguration, James Delingpole says that the President-elect is horribly reminiscent of Tony Blair in 1997. He may be a fantastic guy, and look great, but he will bring a ragbag of scuzzballs, communists and eco-loons to power with him

No matter how excited you may be about Barack Obama’s inauguration on Tuesday, I bet you’re not as pleased as I am. Never have I wished more devoutly for a presidential victory than the one won by this mighty intellect-cum-healer-cum-fashion-model-cum-general-all-round-Messiah — a man so conscious of his own merit that, unlike any president before him, he plans to swear his inaugural oath on the Lincoln bible.

But this wasn’t because I nurtured a burning desire to see the first ever African-American made US president. Nor because I’d bought into his speeches or that lovely, confident, articulate speaking voice he has. Nor yet because I had the remotest faith in Obama’s ability to change America for the better. Quite the opposite, actually. The reason I wanted him to win was because I was halfway through writing a book called Welcome To Obamaland: I’ve Seen Your Future And It Doesn’t Work. The title just wouldn’t have had the same ring under a President John McCain.

When I tell them about the book, most of my Conservative friends go: ‘Wow! That is such a good idea.’ But all the credit here belongs to a brilliant US publishing vice president named Harry Crocker III who contacted me out of the blue one day with the nicest email I’ve ever received. ‘Dear James,’ it went, ‘as a longstanding Spectator reader and fan of your column I wondered whether you might be interested in writing a book for us…’

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/features/3233531/i-have-seen-your-future-america-and-it-doesnt-work.thtml

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: A worthy opponent for Obama
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »
He may be a fantastic guy, and look great, but he will bring a ragbag of scuzzballs, communists and eco-loons to power with him

Yes; yes, he will.

:banghead:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
Re: A worthy opponent for Obama
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »
Hillary Clinton for one

That Geitner fellow for another
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!