Author Topic: Why Your Phone, Cable & Internet Bills Cost So Much  (Read 1255 times)

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
Why Your Phone, Cable & Internet Bills Cost So Much
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/why-phone-cable-internet-bills-cost-much-130914030.html

The U.S. has fallen behind much of the Western world when it comes to phone, cable and Internet service. Americans actually pay much more for inferior service compared to their global counterparts.

(break)

â€¢Americans pay four times as much as the French for an Internet triple-play package—phone, cable TV and Internet—at an average of $160 per month versus $38 per month.  

Say what ?

At one time, AT&T had a monopoly and was required to break up. Now "AT&T and Verizon control 60% of phone service in America". Going back to a monopoly ?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:35:52 PM by J P Sousa »
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Why Your Phone, Cable & Internet Bills Cost So Much
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/why-phone-cable-internet-bills-cost-much-130914030.html

Say what ?

That doesn't surprise me.  They picked up the traveling-with-your-cell-phone-attached-to-you think a lot quicker than we did.  I would imagine the infrastruture went up quicker too.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:09 AM »
Fact is, if cable companies were FORCED to compete, or if we could pick channels "ala carte", cable prices would in fact come way down.  Ditto if we charged for Internet usage by the GB rather than a flat fee.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »
Fact is, if cable companies were FORCED to compete, or if we could pick channels "ala carte", cable prices would in fact come way down.  Ditto if we charged for Internet usage by the GB rather than a flat fee.

Cities make too much money from franchise fees from the cable companies.  Cable companies were pushing for various taxes on the satellite companies because they were losing so many customers to them.